4500 timing questions

Gary and Montana... You "kids!" stop talking about "going." Just keep

swinging and looking down the trail... but stop occasionally and smell

the flowers, but do not think of being planted under them.

Most of the information on the discusion of the 4500 timing questions

may also be applied to the 4000. I have played a brief time with

Sandtraps 4000 and have been interested in the settings that Montana

and JP are discussing.... I know that some of the information applies

in one way or another to all PI's... So I listen and learn... and try to

understand more... But the more I think I know... well... I guess I gotta

go back to the one or two knob detectors... with "presets." (GRIN)

Dutch John. The whole point with both the 4000 and the 4500 is eliminating either ground noises or EMI or both to find nuggets that were masked by confusing sounds on previous models. The beginner can start with some factory presets and do just fine , and once the detector is figured out, he can do a juggling act to find the right balance between quiet operation and performance. I like the way Minelab is heading with this. All the extra features and settings aren't just bells and whistles. They really do something. Although confusing to some at first, it doesn't take long to realize just how much nicer the 4000 and even more so the 4500 is to operate.----Bob

Bob,

I have a question that certainly relates to this thread. Yesterday there was an unusual amount of mid day noise, both ground and EMI. For the first time using my 4000 I tried to manual tune it with no positive results. I tried going up 20 clicks and down twenty clicks from the Auto tune set. I took my time and listened to each click carefully but could not find a quiet channel. The first part of the day I was using a stock DD coil then I switched to a Mono (large E Goldstalker). All the noise made me stop for the day... any further hints on manual tuning? My machine was not the only 4000 to experience this.

Thanks for any additional input..........

El Dorado

Steve. You can try quiet on the audio setting along with very slow on the motion. I run those settings all the time because of our constant EMI here in Central Az. and it does a great job. One other thing you can do and this really works well is to make sure your patch mode settings are in factory preset. Auto tune with the switch on PATCH. When it is done with the auto tune, switch it back to to your usual setting on that switch. It should now be smooth as silk. The EMI might creep back in after an hour or so , just repeat the process.----Bob

El Dorado. No problem. Glad I could help. There may be a tiny bit of performance loss with the quiet Audio and very slow motion settings, but I feel that the smoooth threshold more than makes up for it. If the threshold is so ratty that you have to quit, you won't find any gold for sure. These settings not only tame the interference , but the ground also. You might want to slow your swing to make the slow motion settings work best.-----Bob