Do I have a ground balance problem ?

I need some advice from you experts. I have a GPX 4000 and recently I have run across several places where it won't achieve perfect ground balance. In these areas switching to Sens/ Smooth helps but requires little if any change in GB. In other places, where the machine will GB nicely, switching from normal timings to smooth changes the GB drastically. As an example, I have a hard time ground balancing on the 24K pushes but it balances beautifuly at Decision corner. Do I have a problem with the 4000 or have others had the same experience?

Thanks

Bill

• Admin

Hey SkipperBill,

Even with the GPX-4000 and GPX-4500 there will be places where you might not achieve a perfect ground balance. For the most part, I don't have much of a problem with the GPX-4500 with all the various timings. For heavy mineralization, the Sensitive/Smooth is probably the best choice. If this don't do the trick to achieve a nice smooth ground balance, you might have to play around with the audio, gain & motion. If this don't seem to work, you might have to resort to using a DD coil in those areas.

As far as the pushes, keep in mind that is some very bad mineralization. You not only have the rich red, iron clay, but the decomposed metamorphic bedrock can very hot in spots. When in doubt, shave a few inches off and see if the audio increases. Using "Tracking" can also be another option if you find a hot spot. Tracking will normally balance the spot out within a few passes.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison