I know I'm going to get shot, but... 2100V2 vs TDI

Heck Steve, you sure know how to broaden a discussion, we moved from discrimination to a whole gamut of subjects.

Well thats OK, I agree with most of what you wrote. Well there is one line i'm not too sure is correct, but we will leave that until I get something that works down here.

But there are a couple of absolutes!

If you dig the target up, you are absolutely sure if you have gold or not and If you have discrimination on a Pi, you can be sure its nowhere near being reliable.

Hi,

If anyone reads my post I made no claims as to the reliability of PI discrimination. It is quite unreliable. In fact, I was quoting Ganes Creek and the use of VLF discrimination. Also not 100% reliable, but far better than PI disc.

Regardless, the only point I was trying to make is that people like to look at things in extremes, all or nothing. And that what applies in Oz most likely does not apply in Alaska. So when people on the internet chime in with "this is the way to do it" and somebody else disagrees, it may be they are both correct.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Guys, very good discussion your having here and I have to say I totally agree with Steve on this. Different areas have different requirements and you have to adjust to them.

I will say one thing about discrimination, on the Minelab PI's I'm usually hunting with mono coils and we all know discrimination doesn't work with these coils. The best discrimination I've seen and used is a 150 lb pull neodymium magnet on the end of a pick. You get close enough to the trash target and I guarantee that magnet will bring it out of the ground (unless it's lead or something).

Freds brings up a very good point with trash. If you want to hunt the big deep gold, unfortunately you'll have to dig the big deep trash. It's just part of all this. I can't tell you how many times I've dug holes in the 2'-3' range (usually 1-3 times a day when I go hunting for gold. Of course depending on the area). Last september I had a good run on some nice size gold that was pretty deep in a trashy area. The one thing I learned from this experience it is that when you get to a certain depth with a certain size coil you start to realise most likely it's trash. Though this never stopped me from digging the target out of the ground. Best to take care of it now because when I come back later thats one less target to dig. Besides the bigger nuggets I found I thought were trash when I was digging them up because everything still sounds the same to me through the headphones.

Del