Headphones vs. Earbuds

Has anyone tried using earbuds with their detector?

I have a good set of headphones that work fine with a ballcap but, I wanted more protection from the sun so I've gone to a wide brim hat. Even though the sides of the hat fold up and snap, the headphones just won't fit properly.

I was thinking about trying a pair of earbuds. I thought I'd check with y'all to see if it's already been tried.

Thanks,

SR

I have been using Etymotic inner ear speakers for about 4 years. The company's main business was hearing aids. They were a big hit with stereophiles. I got tired of sweaty ears and not being able to wear a wide brimed hat. Now I will never go back to headphones. They take some getting used to. It's a little strange at first, having these things shoved way down in your ear. They perhaps eliminate too much external noise, so snakes and such might be hard to hear, great on windy days though. They're also pretty expensive, nearly $200.00 depending on where you shop. The 4S model has the highest impedence, good for prospecting. There are other companies on the market, but they don't have the impedence level the Ety's have. I don't think the cheesy WalMart earbuds would be much good, but maybe a compromise till you see if you like the concept.

After doing a bit of research on the net, I found a set of Koss clip-on headphones with fairly decent impedance specs (60). Since they are less than $20, I'm going to go ahead and try them.

I'm thinking the clip-ons would be better than buds when it comes to hearing critters.

After doing a bit of research on the net, I found a set of Koss clip-on headphones with fairly decent impedance specs (60). Since they are less than $20, I'm going to go ahead and try them.

I'm thinking the clip-ons would be better than buds when it comes to hearing critters.

It's certainly a consideration. Every now and then, I have my head down, digging some deep target and feel a fingernail down the center of my spine. I end up looking like an idiot when I jump up, jerk those earphones out of my ears and start scanning the brush and hillsides. To my knowledge I've only been right once. Jerked up and saw a game warden about 200 yds away watching me through a glass.

Thanks for the tip Grubstake. I've already ordered the Koss clip-ons so, I'll see how they work out. But, I'll keep the Logitech ones in mind as we are quickly turning into a multi-detector & detectorist family. My wife was already hooked. Now, our youngest son is home from the Navy. I took him out the other day and he is hooked, too.

I'll let y'all know how the clip-ons work out. They should be here in a couple days.