Sunny day and some gold

Well I have been very busy with work and home and I have not been out in the gold fields for about 6 weeks. Rick,Steve,and myself went out to a spot and about 5 minutes into it I had a good signal. Wasn't too deep about 8" I thought it was smaller than it was but came in at 6dwt even. Not long after Rick had scored his first nugget .1dwt. After awhile later we sat down and had lunch regroup and think of a new plan as we hadn't found anything else. So we headed up to a new area and dug some iron and bullets. Getting tired and ready to go Rick digs one last nugget .2dwt. The weather was great and so was the company we found a couple of nuggets so it was a over all great day.

My 6 dwt

7Mar09GregVetDigs21.jpg

With Ricks AKA LuckyLundy

7Mar09GregVetDigs11.jpg

Jeff,

Sounds like you guys had a great time, it was beautiful weather down here also, I was not fortunate enough to get out and detect today for I was framing a new garage. Looks like Rick is doing great with the 4000, how far down were those little guys? Sorry to hear Steve got the skunk today, sounds like my song and dance.

Take Care!

Tony Teixeira

CHICKEN HEART! It looks like a chicken heart. Nice chunk of gold. I have always loved chicken hearts and gizzards.

Guess my daddy give me a taste for all of that stuff. (Here I go off on a tangent again. :wacko: )

My daddy was the son of a poor Southern Baptist minister. Meat was a delicacy. Any kind of meat. If they had meat, it was always the cheapest money could buy, and they always streched it as far as they could. That meant they ate a lot of liver, heart, sweet breads, it you know what that it. Basically if it was glandular meat, or organ meat it was ceap. Chicken necks to make soup out of, etc.

Well my daddy developed a taste for all of that stuff except for liver. However, when I was a little boy we weren't much better off than grandpa so cheap meat was a treat in our house too.

One of my daddy's favorite things to make was "Meat Mush." First you get a cow heart. You boil that sucker until it is cooked and has formed a nice beefy broth. You take the heart out, and cut it into piece small enough to get into a hand meat grinder. You grind it all up. Now you take oatmeal and stir it into the broth along with the ground up beef heart. You ending up with this grool looking concoction, that my dad would then pour into a shallow cake pan and put it in the refrigerator to cool and set up.

A day later, my daddy would take that Meat Mush out and cut it into very thin pieces, about a 1/4 inch thick. He would then fry those pieces in a frying pan with a little oil, browning it on both sides, he would then serve it with margarine and syrup on it, sort of like you would would a waffle.

As for liver, my mom would try to fool us into liking it. Out came the grinder again. Apparently that grinder saw a lot of service in the attempt to either stretch meat, or try to disquise it. My mom would grind the beef liver and then grind tons of onions and bacon into a bowl. She'd mix it all up with a little salt and pepper and then ladel it into a frying pan and make these little liver patties. If you smothered them in enough ketchup, you could almost get them down without gagging.

Now sweet breads, those are the lining of a cow's throat. But the way my mom made them was amazing. Guys I had very humble beginnings. I'd be interested in hearing the kinds of stuff your parents used to make when you were a kid.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, that neat Chicken Heart nugget. Way to go, neat nugget. Wasn't it Bill Cosby that did a whole stand up routine on the Chicken Heart?

BCOT!

Doc :rolleyes:

Well my parents and grandparents came from Oklahoma, during the early 40's, they worked like most OKIE's did in the fields picking cotton, and fruit as they fllowed the crops, I was born in a place called Linel Camp which was down by Visaila Ca. later my whole family got jobs in the fish canneries in Monterey Ca. and I grew up there until high school. We had it pretty lucky, we fished, and would go Abalone hunting under the canneries, back then, you could fill a 100 pound gunny sack in no time, we fished off the coastal rocks down toward Big Sur for rock cod and capazone, we had corn bread beans, cabbge, living in the heart of the Salad bowl we had lots if we were willing to go pick it. We moved to fresno in 63 and my step dad worked for the Calf. Div. of Forestry as a fire fighter, two years later I was in the army, making $78.00 a month in basic. I got out in 73 and started driving longhaul truck 5 days later. I got off the road in 94 for good, after taking a break running Bagby for 5 years. We always had something to eat, beans, squirle, wild pigs, deer, and plenty of fish. No money, I can remember, for 35 cents, we could go to the State Theater in Monterey and see a dubble feature, buy popcorn and a coke, or go to the Del Monte skating ring and spend all day for 50 cents. Back then the wage was around $1.25 per hour, my mother worked a split shift as a waitress on the Monterey warf, if she was lucky she made more in tips than her wage. Good times even though it was hard work. Grubstake

Hi Doc,

Umm...nothing beats home made vittles! Takes me back to

the farm raised chicken, fried in big black cast iron skillet, with lots of

gravy and mashed spuds. Top that off with some peach cobbler and

a dip or two of hand churned ice cream...The livers and gizzards were

usually set aside for whoever had to do the dirty work, killing and processing

the chickens for the afternoon picnic. Nowadays the closest thing you get to

the organ stuff, is some chicken livers, found once in a while at a truck stop.

Locally, in Eagle Idaho, every year is held the "Rocky Mountain Oyster Feed", where a whole weekend

is devoted eating bull nuts... The fire department puts this thing on, as a good fund

raiser, complete with lots of beer, entertainment, and of course, the thin sliced

bull testicles. I have never taken part, but I have heard they are quite a delicacy...

Now, taking a chile recipe for a threshing crew from Grandma Doane's cookbook:

As follows:

Yield: 100 lbs. of chili

70 lbs. meat: beef

18 lbs. tallow

3 lbs. chili pepper

1/2 lb. garlic

1/2 lb. cumin seed

2 lbs. Bull flour (don't know what that is...)

Salt & Cayenne pepper to taste.

Pretty basic stuff, but it apparently "sticks to your ribs"

Thanks for sharing, Doc!

~LARGO~

Oh man homemade ice cream. My dad used to make that, but he insisted on hand churning it! Correction, he insisted on me hand churning it. Even when the electric ones came out, he said they didn't freeze the icre cream right, they weren't strong enough. And Grubby, the first job I had I remember minimum wage was $1.25. Cheapest I wever saw gas was .159 a gallon, can you imagine?

My dad was a hunter, so we always had squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, dive, quail. Even ate a racoon once. Funny how our youth shapes us. When I started dating my wife, I noticed that her dad would eat almost a whole stick of butter on a ear of corn. He would cut off big chunks of butter, and just perch it on the corn and then take a bite. And the butter had to be ice cold and rock hard.

I said to my wife, "Your dad sure does like butter." She told me that during the depression when her daddy was a little boy, his family could not afford butter, and his mom would make him walk 2 miles to buy a piece of lard. During the summer, by the time he got back home with that chunk of lard, it was all gooey and warm and nasty. Ice cold anything was just not to be had, and no one could afford butter. So of course, he swore that some day when he could afford it he would always buy butter and it wouldn't be all soft and melted, it would be ice cold and creamy and delicious.

I always remember about my dad telling me when he was a kid hamburgers cost only 5 cents. Well when I was 16 hamburgers at McDonalds were 15 cents, fries 10 cents and a soft drink 10 cents.

Dang Grubbie, fresh fish and abalone, that was pretty good eating. Used to be a day when we could take 4 abalone a day for 2 days, total of 8. Then they cut it down to 2 X 2 for 4. Then they said they were going to close abalone to sports divers for a couple of years just to let the abalone get a chance to repopulate. Yeah right! That was over 10 years ago and they have not let divers take abs since.

I guess when you don't know where your country is going, and what the future holds, it's more fun to look back on the past, at least you know you made it through those times.

Doc

Hi Doc; I remember eating a lot of pan fried squirrel and rabbit when visiting my grandmothers when I was a kid in western pa. The home made apple pie and bread she could bake on a coal fired stove was unbelievabe. My absolute favorite was pan fried sweet breads, you could get a quart bucket of them for 5c at the local sloughterhouse, tasted a bit like chicken but different. My grandfather would send me to the local tavern for a bucket of beer, same bucket same price, 5c. Ron

Growing up we raised pretty much all our food. Dad was a traveling salesman and he would swing through Rocky Ford, CO and pick up 200lbs of pinto beans twice a year. Mom and us kids kept a 1 acre garden. Mom canned everything, meat veggies fruits made homemade ketchup, our syrup was water maple flavoring brown sugar and thickened up with cornstarch. We raised rabbits, had over 200 of the buggers (to this day I can't stomach rabbit), chickens, had two calves, 2 pigs, 3 goats (two were milkers, 1 was for meat), and a milk cow. Before I even got to do my homework from school I had to spend 2 hours in the garden weeding or picking. Milked the cow and goats, feed the other stock all before the bus at 7am. Got my first .22/20gauge over and under when I was 10. Dad would give me one .22 shell and one 20gauge shell and when I brought home game 10 out of 10 times for each shell, he'd give me another. When I hit 5 or 6 shells, he finally bought me a box apiece. We ate allot of squirrel, pheasant and quail as well as the fish I caught fishing on the river. About once every 2 months or so whenever Dad came home from the road, we would get to go to McDonalds or the best was the Strawhat Pizza hut. We would watch Flash Gordon and the 3 Stooges while we had our pizza. Mom made everything, even our own butter. Didn't care for too much as a kid, but boy do I miss those vittles now!! Mom was a great cook. Sat. mornings whenever Dad was home was pretty cool too. He would make his special breakfast. Fry up some hamburger and sausage together and dump in a bunch of scrambled eggs. Cook all that up together and have it with homemade ketchup and toast. All in all, we didn't have any money for anything extra. My brother and sister would get new shoes once a year, I worked for my uncle farming from about 8years old on for 50 dollars, 2 pair of jeans 2 shirts pair of boots and 3 or 4pairs of socks. Never did see the 50 dollars. It was allot of hard work, allot of times hated, sometimes loved.....but we ate dam good!

Sorry for hijacking your post Nuggetslayer...

You guys had some pretty interesting early years! Brings back memories... No candy bars or potato chips for us after school. We used to hit the bush in search of "snacks". Guavas or green Mangos dipped in, snitched from Momma's cupboard, vinegar, salt and pepper or V-apples, mountain apples and when in season...Lychees! No 'boob tube" either. I still remember listening to the Lone Ranger on our Philco radio while eating breakfast. It had tubes instead of transistors so it took a minute or two to warm up whilst I sugared my corn flakes. No sugary smacks or Fruity whatevers... Later, our first TV! A small black and white set that also had to warm up before the picture would appear. Only THREE CHANNELS! And the station would shut down at 10PM... No cable, no internet, no fancy shmancy electronic games...the good ole days...

Man, things sure have changed. My teen Daughter complains about doing the dishes as if we were asking her to move a mountain...apparently she is too busy playing with her iPod or Wii... I wonder what it will be like when she has kids...what will be her good ole days...

Oh yeah, in those days, a bicycle was for getting your behind from point A to point B...not for riding around in the park.

What bicycle? I never had one until I was 16 years old, and it was an old beatup Shwinn, But I did get my fist car when I was 17, just before leaving for Nam, it was a 1956 Desoto I bought a brand new 66 Mustang, after taking a short and reinlisting in Nam, it was bought through the post exchange and was at the docks inn Frisco when I came home on my 30 day re-enlistment leave. The only brand new car I have ever owned, My wife wrecked it after I went back to Nam, They fixed it, but it never was the same. Grubstake

CHICKEN HEART! It looks like a chicken heart. Nice chunk of gold. I have always loved chicken hearts and gizzards.

Guess my daddy give me a taste for all of that stuff. (Here I go off on a tangent again. :wacko: )

My daddy was the son of a poor Southern Baptist minister. Meat was a delicacy. Any kind of meat. If they had meat, it was always the cheapest money could buy, and they always streched it as far as they could. That meant they ate a lot of liver, heart, sweet breads, it you know what that it. Basically if it was glandular meat, or organ meat it was ceap. Chicken necks to make soup out of, etc.

Well my daddy developed a taste for all of that stuff except for liver. However, when I was a little boy we weren't much better off than grandpa so cheap meat was a treat in our house too.

One of my daddy's favorite things to make was "Meat Mush." First you get a cow heart. You boil that sucker until it is cooked and has formed a nice beefy broth. You take the heart out, and cut it into piece small enough to get into a hand meat grinder. You grind it all up. Now you take oatmeal and stir it into the broth along with the ground up beef heart. You ending up with this grool looking concoction, that my dad would then pour into a shallow cake pan and put it in the refrigerator to cool and set up.

A day later, my daddy would take that Meat Mush out and cut it into very thin pieces, about a 1/4 inch thick. He would then fry those pieces in a frying pan with a little oil, browning it on both sides, he would then serve it with margarine and syrup on it, sort of like you would would a waffle.

As for liver, my mom would try to fool us into liking it. Out came the grinder again. Apparently that grinder saw a lot of service in the attempt to either stretch meat, or try to disquise it. My mom would grind the beef liver and then grind tons of onions and bacon into a bowl. She'd mix it all up with a little salt and pepper and then ladel it into a frying pan and make these little liver patties. If you smothered them in enough ketchup, you could almost get them down without gagging.

Now sweet breads, those are the lining of a cow's throat. But the way my mom made them was amazing. Guys I had very humble beginnings. I'd be interested in hearing the kinds of stuff your parents used to make when you were a kid.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, that neat Chicken Heart nugget. Way to go, neat nugget. Wasn't it Bill Cosby that did a whole stand up routine on the Chicken Heart?

BCOT!

Doc :rolleyes:

Doc you crack me up - Frosty

That St. Florian medal ya sent me (just to jog your gray matter it was 2yrs ago or was it 3?) really works, I'm still here ;) and wanting to head to AZ for some serious beeping. take care & Keep on beepin - B)

Oh yea, Nice find there nuggetslayer