Enhancer/booster audio quality

Is it my imagination (and I don't think it is) but do signal enhancers/boosters appear to degrade or "muddy" the detector's stock audio output?

No doubt the signals are louder but to me, the audio is significantly changed...not for the better really.

Thanks for anyone's opinion on this.

Tony.

Tony if you have good hearing and are using a GP series onwards Minelab detector then you really don't need a booster unless you are using a speaker as well. The amps will just increase the overall noise of the detector so things sound harsh, but can help if quiet headphones are being used (Lanier under chin type headphones spring to mind here).

Hope this helps,

Jonathan Porter

Hi Jonathan,

I'm running an SD2200v2 and I'm aware of this model having a reputation for a weak audio.

I have good hearing (confirmed). I also have good headphones (Black Widows and Ratphones). I just find that the audio is downgraded (in fidelity) after going through a booster.

I have tried over small targets and don't think I'm missing much by going through a booster. The amp is fine and definitely lifts the audio "hit" but it's not something I would have missed initially.

Thanks for the response,

Tony.

Tony if you have good hearing and are using a GP series onwards Minelab detector then you really don't need a booster unless you are using a speaker as well. The amps will just increase the overall noise of the detector so things sound harsh, but can help if quiet headphones are being used (Lanier under chin type headphones spring to mind here).

Hope this helps,

Jonathan Porter

For the 2200 you need a amp. I tried using my old one before with out one and it was not a good day in the field. The Super Signal Enhancer is the one that I used and it worked great. Large targets you will hear just fine but if you get a .5dwt at 4 or 5 inches your not going to hear that faint whisper. Anyway I hope you like your 2200 I loved mine.

Thanks guys,

I have Doc's Goldscreamer amp which I'm sure is a fine unit.

Unfortunately I purchased the Supersound speaker which is definitely not compatible with my amp.

I might try one of Doc's speakers that are designed to match (8 ohm) the Goldscreamer.

I did try the amp with a pair of Black Widows and a pair of Ratphones....plenty of signal lift but I just didn't like the muffled audio that was generated.

Tony.

Doc......if you're reading then please note that I am 100% happy with the amp as it does what it's designed. I might have to get a suitable speaker which I should have done when I purchased the Goldscreamer.

Tony;

You may be running the enhancer or your headphone volume too high...

I have found the enhancers a great benefit with external speakers and with inexpensive Sony mini phones (the type that clip over the ear and the speaker sits just inside the ear-canal).

I love the dual speaker system much better than a single speaker...I don't miss wearing hot sweaty headphones at all, ever!!!

Fred

Yep, I definitely need the correct speaker...this is my mistake :spank:

I noticed that the booster control only needs to be advanced about a quarter turn.....anymore is counter-productive like you say.

I will continue to tweak the settings for best performance....I'm definitely keeping the Goldscreamer as the audio lift is great.

I think my headphones have a volume limiter built into them so I'm never going to blast my ears (and keeping the booster power to about 25%).

Thanks everyone for all your input,

Tony.