Camping question

Looking for some advice as to camping spots. Gonna be heading to Phoenix area on friday to do some beeping to search for the elusive yellow. Due to the economic times and trying to save a few bucks I'm camping out of my truck while there. I have done some research on camp grnds and the White Tank Mtns Regional Park is one area I have thought of staying at. The other one is Lake Pleasant Park. A couple of questions, have most of the snowbirds left the area at this time of the year, are these camping areas usually packed being in close proximity to the phoenix area ? Any info. would be appreciated.

Take care and watch your back - Frosty

Hi Frosty

I don't know what camping equipment you have but if your not going to be out to long stay on BLM land.If you stay in a park are camp grounds it's going to cost you something.

I was just out there for a month and it was starting to get some what hot and then you would have some cool days.The snakes are out now so watch yourself and be sure you got on snake chaps.

Chuck Anders

PS Here's a picture of my homemade camper.

post-549-1237908429_thumb.jpg

Thanks RidgeRunner,

Hey thats a cool lookin little rig ya got there, I'm sure it met your needs.

I plan to sleep in the bed of my P/U since it has a hard cover that lays flat when closed & pops up at an angle when open. My son and I have used it numerous times in Colorado while on fishing trips & it works great, if the weather gets nasty I just reach up & pull it down all the way or part of the way. There's plenty of room in the bed since it's an 8ft'er. I thought about BLM land but not being from the area & not having been down there in a number of years I'm not sure where to go that would be relatively safe. It's definately not out of the question though, maybe I'll stay on BLM & go to the parks showers to get the stench off once or twice. Do you know what the park(s)charge to stay per nite? I'll be there about a week and will get pretty ripe I'm sure.

take care & watch your back - Frosty

many RV parks allow people to pay for use of the community shower facilities. Truck stops usually have showers available. Camping around in the back of a truck isn't frowned on by most blm officials, just keep the camp cleaned up.

snakes- maybe set up a perimeter lantern light system that works all night (Gas lanterns on a hanger). 2 is usually enough. snakes will go around the light rather than through camp. many white or blue headlamps that you wear on the head allow one to see a snake while out to the loo in the middle of the night.

anything on the ground, laying on the ground or supported a short distance above, rap the object to give the snakes and scorpions a chance to get out. like someone else said, wear chaps. I like mine made out of cordura. There are some kevlar ones out there. A blacklight comes in handy to see scorpions at night.

stay away from plots with no trespassing signs, but camping beyond and outside of the perimeter usually isn't much of a problem. It helps to use a buddy system (two-fers), because a lot of people out in the bush aren't the friendly chatty types from years past, and if they can size you up as being alone, all alone, you set yourself up for problems with people so inclined. toting a gun is a personal decision, but it's best to use a holster and carry in plain sight if you bring your heater with you. People are less likely to mess around if they can see advertisement right out in the open.

The one thing that does taking getting used to is to go off and leave your setup while going to town, bar, store, shower, or whatever. While there are scaliwags everywhere, most of the people in AZ are refugees from the urban, and being away from chaining everything down, usually do not mess with stuff in the camp or equipment when left by itself for a few hours, and sometimes days. If you plan to frequent an area, and don't want to tote stuff around, make a deal with some local to store your gig for a week or month. Besides getting freed from packing up and out, you'll be helping them to have a bit of extra cash, and with the friendship or acquaintance, may get some inside tips and history from the local gossip that may lead to better returns overall.

Thanks for the heads up Whats4Supper, I do carry , mainly concealed because that's what I have a permit for (glad Colorado & Az. have reciprocity) but I also openly carry using a thigh rig so it's very visible when & where I can especially if I'm out in the boondocks. got a pair of snake chaps (turtle skins) and did learn a long time ago to turn things upside down (boots/shoes) and shake/tap/bang well. My truck is a dodge Ram 2500 & sits pretty high off the ground, don't think it would be inviting for a buzz worm to slither up, scorpions - diff. story?