Interesting Find, but what really is it?

Gold being the object of the search, silver questions do not get the same airtime. Many miners of old discovered high grade silver in the form of chloride. and the easiest way to deal with it was simply to heat the chloride ore in a frying pan, and after the silver liquified after heating, the next step was to pour it off into a mold of some kind- even into the dirt perhaps.

Simple gains, and probably forgetful prospectors left these artifacts behind. or maybe it was a case of too much alcohol the night before.

Likewise, any of the other metals mentioned were also poured off into some kind of makeshift mold.

I don't think there is a reader out there that hasn't been tripped up by some sort of 'curve ball' found while mining or detecting. I have stuff that I found a decade ago that I still haven't figured out what it is, was, or anything.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I used a streak plate that I have here at home and it streaks very well. The streak is a silverish color.

On my X-Terra 30 it read in the range of "36 - 40" on the Non-Ferrous scale. My X-Terra 705 reads from "42 - 44." Anyone know what the range of Lead or Silver would be on these units? I can't find a small piece of lead around here to test and I found thousands of pieces over the years ... :wacko:

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Still being curious about this find I made, I decided to give Jim Straight a call and see what he recommended. After the call, he recommended a simple Specific Gravity Test. This is what I came up with -

Air Weight - 63 Grams

Weight in Water - 55.5 Grams

Specific Gravity of - 7.5 Grams or 7.5 times heavier than water

Looking at all specific gravity of metals, the closest is Tin, Steel or even Pewter (90% tin). I think we rule out Silver, unless it is some type of Silver Alloy. Pure Silver has a specific gravity of around 10-10.8.

Jim and Grubstake both suggested it might be a Civil War or very old Belt Buckle.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison