Sweet 16, Plus 8

NuggetSlayer and myself had a great morning hunt! My weak dredge partners gave me some extra time earlier this season to do some leg work. About 35 miles of humping the hills and filling my GPS with likely detecting spots (hike without detector). One of the spots paid off today! I stopped at one of the new spots and NuggetSlayer was heading over the hill to another about 3/4 miles away. Before he got over the hill, I radioed him to come back to me...I just found my 3rd nugget. By the time he got to me I just found my 4th. I told him they are jumping out of the ground...5 minutes later he had his first nugget from the otherside of the small drainage. Even though the weather is Fantastic for August it was getting hot, we took at photo of our finds. I had 16 nuggets/Dinks and NuggetSlayer had 8 nuggets...headed home. The gold was running twice the size of mine on his side of the ditch. The weight difference between the 16 vs 8 nuggets was only .1 dwt (2.4 grains). Jeff, has this week off work...we will continue this thread with the weeks detecting!

LuckyLundy

4Aug09LilShovelDigCoilShot.jpg

Weight below is in DWT's

4Aug09LilShovelDigs001.jpg

NuggetSlayer and myself had a great morning hunt! My weak dredge partners gave me some extra time earlier this season to do some leg work. About 35 miles of humping the hills and filling my GPS with likely detecting spots (hike without detector). One of the spots paid off today! I stopped at one of the new spots and NuggetSlayer was heading over the hill to another about 3/4 miles away. Before he got over the hill, I radioed him to come back to me...I just found my 3rd nugget. By the time he got to me I just found my 4th. I told him they are jumping out of the ground...5 minutes later he had his first nugget from the otherside of the small drainage. Even though the weather is Fantastic for August it was getting hot, we took at photo of our finds. I had 16 nuggets/Dinks and NuggetSlayer had 8 nuggets...headed home. The gold was running twice the size of mine on his side of the ditch. The weight difference between the 16 vs 8 nuggets was only .1 dwt (2.4 grains). Jeff, has this week off work...we will continue this thread with the weeks detecting!

LuckyLundy

4Aug09LilShovelDigCoilShot.jpg

Weight below is in DWT's

4Aug09LilShovelDigs001.jpg

Are you hunting on claimed or unclaimed property? While the gold is on the small side, I often see a post from you showing your finds, which put the small pieces I get with my GB2 to shame. Are there a lot of open (unclaimed) areas that people can nugget hunt left in California?

h20prospector - the retired AF guy

Here's today's report: We only got 8 of them today! We have our machines setup for shallow targets (duck shooting) and will wait for Winter to hunt the deep ones vs fighting the dried hard dirt. NuggetSlayer, got on the scoreboard (top left) and we headed home.

LuckyLundy

5Aug09LilShovelDigs002.jpg

Jeff,

That was a lot of fun this week. Not bad wages for a couple of guys having a good time. Your bonus nugget from a dink patch (his side of drainage) is a great indicator...can't wait for Winter rains to soften the soil. Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

Lucky

Nice haul for the week. Good thing you got a new spot since our wonderful gov signed that anti-dredging bill. I hope you didn't drag your dredge down into your spot. I got one week of dredging in a few weeks ago but now its all about detecting now. I wonder when they will start going after that? Anyway good going on the gold.

Take care, Wes

Hawkeye,

Yep, dredging use to be family fun filled weekends...give it a couple of years. I guess my equipment out in the woods will be safe since there is a zero market for. Yep, it's floating right were I left it last weekend with 2 five-gallon buckets of blacksand to work yet! I sure will miss seeing all that gold underwater in a good crevice. I'll have to settle for a nice sharp signal and seeing gold in my green scoop!!!

LuckyLundy

Hawkeye,

Yep, dredging use to be family fun filled weekends...give it a couple of years. I guess my equipment out in the woods will be safe since there is a zero market for. Yep, it's floating right were I left it last weekend with 2 five-gallon buckets of blacksand to work yet! I sure will miss seeing all that gold underwater in a good crevice. I'll have to settle for a nice sharp signal and seeing gold in my green scoop!!!

LuckyLundy

I have to agree with you LuckyLundy. There's nothing like seeing a piece of gold underwater as its uncovered. Its to bad that sb670 was passed I was lookin forward to graduating from sniping to dredging in the future.

Ya know, I'm still lookin for a detector buddy in the area. I've done alot of research but haven't really done much exploration of the places I've found. If you're interested in some exploration maybe we could get together some time. At any rate, that's some nice lookin gold. I'm sure alot of hard work went into that discovery.

Lucky

Ya I know what you mean. I hit some nice hard pack with mine last week and the gold just flew out of it when the flusher hit it. There is nothing like seeing it on the bottom. What always amazed me is how far the gold can get down into a crack in the bedrock. Well hopefully its not over permanently but we will have to keep on F&G's butt now to make sure they do an EIR. I've got to dust of the detector and get out detecting here pretty soon. I haven't been out since March or April.

Take care, Wes.