LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO DETECT WITH.

WE ARE NEW TO DETECTING AND LOOKING FOR SOME DETECTING BUDDIES. I HAVE TRIED AROUND THE RIVERS BUT NO LUCK. LOTS OF TRASH. THE BEACH IS FUN BUT NO GOLD THERE. WE ARE MOSTLY INTERESTED IN THE SIERRA'S. WE LIVE NEAR AUBURN SO I KNOW THERE MUST BE SOME GOOD SPOTS AROUND BUT JUST NOT SURE WHERE IT IS OK TO DETECT.

I'm in your area and always lookin to meet new mining people.

I'm exploring a new spot in Foresthill... lots of trash but good potential. Are you available on weekdays?

Hey Steve, I just got back in town today so I'm itchin to do some detecting. I'll give you a call tomorrow and maybe we can finally set something up.

I just sent him a msg lol i was gonna suggest the dump see if he wonted to go. If you guys go let me know. He has a GMT so the dump is perfect.

You and El Dorado talking about hunting in the areas your speaking of, make me pine for the old days (50's & 60's) when my parents & I would travel up 99 from Stockton then take 50 out of Sacramento passing through Placerville, then cut over on 49 through Auburn up to Grass Valley and finally ended up at Lake Tahoe. All the way up to Tahoe on 50 or 80 is probably claimed, but fondly remember looking in the river running alongside 50 up to Tahoe. Unfortunately I was looking for trout at the time. Now I would be looking for the yellow stuff, but with all the changes California has had, and will is going through, small time miners and prospectors are loosing ground at rapid speed. Are there still unclaimed and open areas along those routes or are they all gone? Has the forest service and tree huggers closed off most of El Dorado National Forest north and south of 50 and 80? What about the land east and west of 49 from Placerville down to Oakhurst, all private now? Miss it, but glad to be in Colorado.

h20prospector

I'm exploring a new spot in Foresthill... lots of trash but good potential. Are you available on weekdays?

El Dorado, is that an invitation I could take you up on? I've been up on the South Yuba the last two summers learning about sluicing and crevicing but I got a GMT a month ago and took it up along the river, just downstream of Humbug and got skunked -other than some lead shot and .22 shells. Looks like I don't know crap about finding gold above the water line -so it'd be great to go detecting with someone who knows what they're doing.

El Dorado, is that an invitation I could take you up on? I've been up on the South Yuba the last two summers learning about sluicing and crevicing but I got a GMT a month ago and took it up along the river, just downstream of Humbug and got skunked -other than some lead shot and .22 shells. Looks like I don't know crap about finding gold above the water line -so it'd be great to go detecting with someone who knows what they're doing.

ill be going this weekend if anyone wants to go.

Dtetecting old gold bearing early worked areas means Lots of lead, rusty cans old nails etc....... It is not unusual to have a trash to nugget ratio of 100:1 or more... keep looking. Saturday does look like a strong possibility.

That pit behind the dump is a tough hunt with a detector. I think the local mining shop sent people up there for years, so its pretty well hammered.

i was there this weekend and up up some 1800s nails about a foot deep. Lots of them. Those big nails masked the noise of smaller nails. At some point im going to find a nugget masked by a nail.

I figure if all that trash is still there, then all the newbies Pioneer sent still left nuggets behind... trash in the ground means there is still a good posibility of gold.

Calihunter;you are in my prospecting stomping grounds,ol placer county jurisdiction,What say the brethen?( ) its ok its a clamper question. I have explored lot of areas with my friends & myself since I was 15 years old From foresthill,Michigan Bluff,ect. I can suggest an easy spot to get to but you must be carefull and drive slow as this road is a one laner with a few pull outs. It would be best to have a truck as it turns to dirt,but you can do it in a car. Have you heard of Yankee Jim rd. Old Yankee Jim town is the First hydralic site in the state.

But Iam directing you to the Yankee Jim bridge crossing over the American river & where shirttell creek meet. You can see a picture of the bridge on google earth. From Auburn ca. take 80 N. towards colfax,get off one exit before colfax at Canyon Way exit.,At the stop sign canyon Way make a right turn,go approximatly 1 mi. until you see Yankee Jim rd. make a left. Driving on pavement for 1mi. then turns to dirt go 1more mi.and you will see an old fence with old antiques decorations & a feww sayings,that was my old place,some friends bought it and keepup the theme. Sharp harepin corner there be carefull,go 3 mi and you are at the bridge,Go across the bridge and pull over you are there.Go down to shirttale and start detecting from where you level out from walking off the road over to the waters edge and start sweeping down towards the American river especially the gravel in and around the banks up high & low,dont miss any of it,I seen a nice 1 oz nugget and over a pound of gold right there.Then for your pleasure is some old tertiarary river gravel about fifty foot high banks,just turn yourself faceing up river of the American start walking across Shirttale detecting as you go look to your right and start walking towards the the wall of fifty foot high hard pack river rock . Detect it on the base as it sits on exposed bedrock and all allong the wall as best you can.Dont go in the coyote holes cause they have come down on an old miner friend who warned me ,and don think that you are so far out that a Sherriff will not come by so dont get caught with any open drinks in the car on the way down.Wait for all that stuff until your on the river,Good luck ,Rubyman.

Nice place to live Steve! Scrape, rake, dig, move a few rocks and have some fun guys.

Rubyman, How did your old miner friend make out, in the cave in? I was in a drift detecting once, when the whole roof started to crack and pop above me. I had a warning and got out. Some don't.

Hey all, I'll go wherever I can get some help; but I guess I vote less trash -cause I'm in the same boat as all those noobs who couldn't find anything behind the dump for all these years. Just let me know where and when and I'll show up, though.

-Peter

thanks for the info, may go this weekend. tried to find area near the dump but i did'nt know if we were in the right spot. there was lots of square nails so i must have been close. lots of rock piles. does that sound right? we parked right by the entrance to the dumpand went down the trail about 1 mile. can go on thursday if anyone is interested.

I'll be in the area Sat & Sun but without internet, so if anyone will be out and can put up with the company, let me know by Friday afternoon the where and the when.

Where's the there, there? Looking for a dump in Forresthill, all I find is the transfer station in town.

I'll shoot to be there at 9:00. White subaru.

Where's the there, there? Looking for a dump in Forresthill, all I find is the transfer station in town.

I'll shoot to be there at 9:00. White subaru.

its on todd valley rd. If your coming from auburn its the second todd valley rd right. follow the road to the end and make a left. follow that road to the dump. next to the dump is a place to park.