Coiltek Battery question

My buddy Skip called me this morning to say that his coiltek batteries went bad. I don't have these but I remember reading once that there is a breaker or something that can be tripped if you switch them off wrong. Is that correct? How would you reset that breaker? What is the proper procedure to prevent this from happening?

Thanks Chris

Chris,

You know I've heard of this happening...I've turned my Pocket Rocket on and off all the different ways possible and have never had any problem. The problem is that stock battery really doesn't last very long and we have bought the real deal Lenmar 7.4V 7800mAh/57.7Wh replacement batteries. They last more than a day swinging your detector and we have had zero problems with them, a little pricey though, but well worth the expense!

LuckyLundy

• Admin

Hello Redbeard,

The batteries can get a bad cell and go bad, but it might be as simple as a trip circuit. You normally won't experience this with the gpx system, but you will with the sd/gp one if you turn the unit on out of order. To reset the batteries, do exactly what NuggetBob stated. Place the tripped battery back on the charger for about a minutes time to reset it.

Hope this helps. There are some newer batteries I have now that are better.

When I bought those batteries Doc told me to turn the detector on and leave it turned on.

Then just use the switch on the battery to turn everything on and off. He said you won't

have any problems that way.

I believe he also mentioned some way to reset them but I don't recall what that was.

Maybe it's what AzNuggetBob said?

To me it don't seem like both batteries would STB at the same time.

Thanks guys. I looked it up on Doc's site and saw the info about leaving the detector on and how to reset it. I told Skip but haven't heard back if it worked. He doesn't do a lot of detecting but is good about keeping his batteries charged. Apparently he went out today to put them on the charger and said that the charger showed a green light but BOTH batteries were stone dead. He even checked with a volt meter. It seems odd that both would be dead at the same time and have zero voltage. He had one of his original batteries go dead last fall but I think these are newer ones he bought then. He uses a GP Extreme.

• Admin

Hey Redbeard,

The Li-Ion 7800 or older 5400mah batteries will go bad eventually. Either they will just wear out or develop bad cells. I've had some of these batteries last a couple of years, but I kept them charged and rotated several batteries.

The new Li-Ion batteries are 6600mah, but heard they last almost as long and have a longer overall life. Everyone I know that has purchased them seems to like them better.

I'm hoping the new GPX-4500 Li-Ion System has this same battery. Doh, did I say that ...

Rob Allison