Best place for beginner in Arizona?

Looking for some advice on where a beginner should go in Arizona. I just got my first gold detector from Rob and it arrived a few days ago. I'm chomping at the bit to get started, but I need to find somewhere that has a cheap weekly motel near club claims, or weekly apartment, etc. I suppose I could also tent it for a couple of weeks but I'd like to stay in Arizona longer than I'd care to tent camp. Unfortunately I don't have a travel trailer yet so I'm stuck with using a tent or weekly rental somewhere. Proximity is important though as I know there are plenty of options in Phoenix, but the time spent driving and money on gas etc. I'd much rather spend that time detecting.

Hello Lateralus,

I wish you all the luck you will need to satisfy your dream of quick returns on your investment!

Advice and knowledge aforehand are some the first items that should have been on your list of things to do...

~LARGO~

Hmm how about joining the Roadrunners and stay at Wickenburg.

Get some maps from Uncle Ron...

Oh and a hipstick from me :)

Thanks for the tip on the Roadrunners and Wickenburg. I'll look into both. Uncle Ron's maps were on my list, and the hipstick was covered by Jonathan Porter in his video and that was on my list as well, a very cool item to be sure. I do have Doc's Swingy Thingy also, the one he most recommended for the 4500.

Advice and knowledge aforehand are some the first items that should have been on your list of things to do...

They always were on my list of things to do. I didn't mention anything about previous preparation in my post, but I can tell you that I've been doing so much reading and instructional DVD watching I feel like I'm on information overload. Really, now I just need to figure out where the best place to start will be and start *doing* it.

What part of the state do you want to hunt in?

Honestly I'm pretty open on that. I'm going to look into Wickenburg as Chris suggested. I haven't spent more than a few days in Arizona in the past. About the only city I'm at all familiar with is Flagstaff (which I loved - reminds me of Bend Oregon where I used to live). What is most important is proximity of accomodations to club claims I would say. The less time spent commuting from motel / apartment to claim the better. Although, I'd rather spend more time driving to a better spot than have something mediocre at best right next door. I'm OK with tenting it for awhile too if there are good claims with no weekly rental places nearby.

Soon I'll have my day's training with Rob so a starting location close to Rob would be beneficial in case his schedule only permits him to go out on shorter notice. I should also note that traveling around the state and trying different spots REALLY appeals to me. I just need to figure out a place to start first.

I wouldnt be so anxious to start big! I would not recommend the roadrunners for someone in your position just yet as they have claims spread all over the southern half of the state. You should join a club like the Weaver Mining District that has a few claims all clumped together for the most part. Then you can spend more time exploring the areas you are hunting in , rather than chasing claims all over the place wasting time.Those claims are on proven gold ground, and nuggets are still there.

There are also the "Why Not Claims" in the same area(rich hill), I have heard that they are good claims for the persistant individual. Both clubs mentioned are really cheap to join with yearly dues in the area of thirty bucks. They have more than enough property to hunt on. There are hotels in Wickenburg and congress for easy travel to the claims daily. Start small man, get comfortable with the detector, buy a small 1/2 gram or less test nugget,and use it often.

As for the Swingy Thingy (recommended for the 4500 ???) what ever that means... I`m sure you will figure out what you really need or dont.

I wouldnt be so anxious to start big! I would not recommend the roadrunners for someone in your position just yet as they have claims spread all over the southern half of the state. You should join a club like the Weaver Mining District that has a few claims all clumped together for the most part. Then you can spend more time exploring the areas you are hunting in , rather than chasing claims all over the place wasting time.Those claims are on proven gold ground, and nuggets are still there.

There are also the "Why Not Claims" in the same area(rich hill), I have heard that they are good claims for the persistant individual. Both clubs mentioned are really cheap to join with yearly dues in the area of thirty bucks. They have more than enough property to hunt on. There are hotels in Wickenburg and congress for easy travel to the claims daily. Start small man, get comfortable with the detector, buy a small 1/2 gram or less test nugget,and use it often.

As for the Swingy Thingy (recommended for the 4500 ???) what ever that means... I`m sure you will figure out what you really need or dont.

This is the best advice you are going to hear! One more thought is to join the GPAA as they have claims all over the country.

I don't know how much time you have but Gold Basin could be cool for a couple of days.

Bunk