What is this?

Leather that is green throughout may be mineral tanned. Chrome tanned leather begins to turn green after 40 years. It is usually olive green at first and gets brighter green with greater age. Most tack and leather western wear (belts, holsters) is mineral tanned and as Chris wrote copper is the base metal for silver-plate. Chris' guess of a small concho would fit.

clay

MinerDiggins

When I first saw it it reminded me of a pineapple grenade frag biggrin.gif but after I read what you said (copper leather) its obviously not that. is it magnetic? are your sure its leather? I have seen leather almost become fossilized with age. could it be wood? and most all the saddle leather I use is oak tanned (tree bark) and it will turn green with age. the natural chemicals in it make copper froth green in a very short time if damp. AzNuggetBob

Benz I do know that the spanish used similar conchos on there horse saddles as a form of armament to protect the horses so the concho guess could very well be correct. Nice find if it is. AzNuggetBob

Archived