used 4000 vs new 4500

Hello forum,

I had someone offer to sell me a 4000 with a coil or two and I was thinking of going with it, but I keep looking at the 4500 and wondering if I should go ahead and step up to it. I haven't used either one yet so I am going to need some help here.

I realize price and condition of the 4000 is an important variable in the equation, so let's say the ML4000 is in good condition with one coil or maybe 2. The price would be around 3000.00.

The other option is the 4500.....you all know the price there.

My question is, do the extras on the 4500 make it worth 1800.00 more.

Let me know your opinion, I use this forum to try to learn from people who have , "been there and done that."

I appreciate your feedback.

paul

Hello forum,

I had someone offer to sell me a 4000 with a coil or two and I was thinking of going with it, but I keep looking at the 4500 and wondering if I should go ahead and step up to it. I haven't used either one yet so I am going to need some help here.

I realize price and condition of the 4000 is an important variable in the equation, so let's say the ML4000 is in good condition with one coil or maybe 2. The price would be around 3000.00.

Let me know your opinion, I use this forum to try to learn from people who have , "been there and done that."

paul

Paul, I use a 4000 and like it, have not used a 4500. When I got into this, everyone told me to buy the best detector that you can afford. If the $1800 more, will not hurt you, than I would go with the 4500. One more thing, with Rob's bundle package you get a lot of bang for the buck and warenity, not to mention the "in the field training" that will go a very long ways in helping you understand your detector and find that first nugget. Just my thoughts.

Bunk

Hello forum,

paul

From my perspective comparing a new detector against a second hand one probably isn't the ideal for a reasonably accurate result, but here goes. I would take a new 4500 against ANY of the older Minelab machine regardless of price, age, accessories, modifications or any other assett you can come up with. If you wait until the new model arrives, whenever that may be, you would be able to get your choice of 4500's at a better price than now and it will still be a better machine than all of its predecessors, that's how much I favour the 4500. ( I have had a 2000, 3000, 3500, 4000 and 4500)

There is simply nothing better on offer at the moment and I'm sure most owners would agree that it is streets ahead, once you learn how to fly the menu and what settings do what. Cheers.

Hello I'm a Congress...man...I Agree with Qld Sandy...I have had the 2000, 2100, 2200D, 3500, and 4000...None of them can compare with the 4500...period. If you can manage to get the 4500 I would do whatever it took to get it. It is such a smooth operating machine it's not funny. I did do a little test sometime back and the 4500 could go deeper than a 4000 by several inches. I wish I could remember the exact number of inches, but I think it was around 3 to 4 inches...Nothing beats having a new machine. You know the history is clean and there is know wondering about the (IF) factor. Go for the GPX4500.....Guido

Paul,

I haven't been swinging Minelab detectors for as many years as some of the members here. But, I've found gold with all GP/GPX models. My Minelab weapons are a GP Extreme, GPX 4000 and GPX 4500. I've found a few pounds of gold with the GP Extreme and having the extra money, I traded some gold for the GPX 4000. It has more bells and whistles and runs much smoother in certain ground conditions, but to me the depth of finding nuggets was the same (some will argue). Now toss in the GPX 4500, it has a few more bells and whistles over the GPX 4000. My Wife loves her GPX 4500 to include several friends in our group of prospectors that swing the GPX 4500. On any giving day the GPX 4000 vs GPX 4500 will find more gold than another (at the same depth, some will aruge)it's just a matter of getting your coil over the gold. What I have noticed with the GPX 4500 vs GPX 4000 is that it will find smaller gold more consistently. A few weeks back my Wife found a 1.2 grain flake with her GPX 4500. The GPX 4500 runs very smooth, it's like my new truck in the driveway...but my old truck got me from point A and back to B with gold in my poke! Paul, it all boils down to what you can afford and feel confident to find gold with. Be it a shinny brand new $12.00 gold pan or a new GPX 4500!

LuckyLundy

Hello forum,

paul

Hi Paul

I take it you know there is one 4500 for sale on this forum for $4100 with lots of extras

and is on ebay for $3350 with not much time left.

wish I could have found a deal like that before I bought my 4500

Rodd

Ok here is my take. If you are running hot ground{lots of mineralization} then the 4500 is the cat,s meow. As Lucky said and i conquer.The depth is no better,{in low mineral ground}But that said you will find more small gold, But if i was looking for small gold i would get a gold bug or gm3 .Both mentioned detectors will find new patch,s, I would also concider how much time are you going to put in. I was very happy with my 4000. After a few trips to the factory the 4500 is slowly becoming my favorite. {just because i had lost faith do to multiple problems}All this said I will not be upgradeing to a 5000 when they come out.It will take some time to see how Minelab repairs there loose ends .Did you ever think of a supped up 2100.That could save you a few bucks.good luck D

I saw that Rodd,

I am just a little short of that at the time.....i just hope Lateralus gets a good price for it, I am praying for his health.

Thanks for your post..it is a sweet deal...

paul

Yes i have thought of a souped up 2200 or GP extreme.....everything in perspective, i am a nurse at VA hospital first, but i need to have many hours on a good machine. I am not getting all the hours swinging my GB2 i would like to have because of the heat right now....

but there is no doubt i will have a ML soon.....i will digest all the info here,,,,,,,so far 4500 have been the choice by far,,,"just a little thing called money,",,,hahahah

Thanks for your opinions,

Bunk

Qld Sandy

Guido

Lucky

Rodd

Denny

I appreciate it.

paul

Hope i didn't miss anyone...

Except for the bizarre circumstances that got me my 4500, what I have done in the past is get a used 3500 when the 4000 came out, then a used 4000 when the 4500's came out. Since the money is tight now and its too hot anyway, maybe the 5000 will be out before X-mas and you can get a sweet deal on a 4500.

Thank you very very much for dedicating your medical expertise to caring for Vets! We are a tough group and it takes great nurses to deal with us!

Thanks for the encouragement you all...It is good to hear it every now and then!

I am at work now and it started out as a tough night in the psych ward, but your good words have made it easier to handle.

I will try my best to do the best I can tonight with the vets I have.

paul

So far the 4500 is the, "bang if you got the bucks" machine,,.......i am not too surprised.. ;)

I hear you brother!

PM me....How is the place at Quartzite doing?

Anyone working it?

Thanks for your response Grubstake.

paul

I have a4000 which was the top of the line at the time. Another thing to consider is the warenty and definitely the training. Keep the GB as it also has its place. I will never regret being a nurse at a VA hosp. Those guys and galls really deserve all the care possible. Thanks. Howard Farris RN.

I am thinking of getting a used White's GMT goldmaster e-series on ebay, and there is a Minelab SD 2200D with extras: Minelab 2200D with Extras which is better machine for a newbie with no proir detectors, was bidding on a GBug2, then the guy selling it ended the auction early, I hate when that happens, must of got a cash offer for it....both the Gmt and the 2200D are at the same price of $405 with a couple of days to go....

I'm still using the 4000. Every time I think about upgrading to the 4500, I start thinking the 5000 might be right around the corner. I've found a lot of gold with the 4000 and have developed some special settings that suit me. This summer at Moore Creek I experimented with the Sensitive Smooth settings and the results were eye popping. Minelab readily admits that the Sensitive Smooth will lose depth, but sometimes the quieter running machine is the goal, not depth.

So, one afternoon at Moore Creek, I got a very faint threshold warble in the Normal/Deep mode with maxed out gain. I switched to Sensitive Smooth, re-balanced and swung over the potential target. Nothing. I dug about 4 inches down, with a 3 ft radius to swing the big coil. In Normal/Deep the signal intensified to the point that it might be called a target signal. In Sensitive Smooth, still not even a murmur. I dug down a couple more inches and the Normal/Deep produced a solid unmistakable target signal. The Sensitive Smooth now produced a very faint warble. I dug further and Normal/Deep was producing a booming high tone, Sensitive Smooth produced a faint dropping/inverted tone.

Before the 4500, when the 4000 was the only game in town, this alleged weakness was pounced on by Doug and all the minelab bashers. It's a trade off, quieter running machine or lost depth. I will continue to run my 4000 till the 5000 shows up. I use Sensitive Smooth when I absolutely must, but its not my preference.

As my philosopher/economics friend always reminds me about the BDT, Bigger Dingus Theory. A guy can always use and ultimately justify a Bigger Dingus, whether its a golf club, bass boat, truck or in our case a metal detector. Good luck on your tough choice, you can't go wrong on the 4000 if the price is right.

Thanks Slim! the RN...

HAHAHAHA...you are right,SDF, we always want the latest greatest out there!

I bet couple hundred hours on any one of these machine would be my best investment,,i know they wont find gold hanging on the wall. I am just trying to justify price versus my actual time to use. I am trying to work it out where i have more time this winter cause let's face it,,,,it takes time to learn how to use these detectors......gotta keep swingin',,, who says, "Low and slow"....LOL---and, "get over the gold"

pk

Terry,

First off I ain't no Ranger!...Once i got in Special Forces they told me not to go backwards and be a Ranger.... :P

Just kiddin'...i have all respect for anyone who subjects themselves to Ranger training,,,,,, :blink:

And for your information.... i have lost 8.6 lbs. since Tuesday!!!! I am on a diet with a nutritionist (read Drill Sergeant)monitoring me...so i hope to lose between 50 and 60 before Oct.....then i can run up those hills like them Rangers do... :D

pk

The comparison between models has come down to: how much time you invest swinging, and dollars. I truly believe that any ML will find the gold if you are over it and know your particular machine.

Archived