Hydroflouric Acid

I have a question. Does anybody know a person or company that will hydroflouric acid

treat a specimen nugget? I have a family and live in a populated area and just don't

want to risk having that stuff around. I would rather pay somebody to do the dirty work

for me. Also, most acid treated specimens that I have seen usually have some chalky

quartz still attached to them after treatment. Can the quartz be completely eaten away

or will there always be some residual left? Thanks for any help.

Matt

Hi Matt & All...I used to do the acid bath in our mining lab quite a bit...It is very nasty to work with so you need a lot of protective gear and procedures ... I was successful in completely removing the quartz in many instances ... unfortunately, in about 2/3's I ended up with a pile of gold crystals instead of a nice crystally nugget ... Also, if the speci has other material in it besides quartz you can end up with a very ugly still-speci ... But those nuggets that worked out were real beauties and sold for a couple times spot or more ... Cheers, Unc

Thanks for the answers guys. Gary, I never thought about talking to Steve.

He and I are friends, but I have not talked to him in a month or so. I have been

busy working and he has been busy finding gold with Lucky! I'll have to see

if he knows anybody using the stuff. I also have a goldsmithing project for

him to make. I did use an multimeter meter on this specimen and most of the

surface gold is connected on all sides. I think there is a large gold chunk

in the middle according to the specific gravity test that Reno Chris wrote about

in the ICMJ. Also, the response my detector gave to this specimen makes me feel

there is a large mass inside of it. Thanks again guys.

Matt

I think Steve would be your best bet. Why not just get him to slab it, its worth more by the gram that way, if its spiderwebed enough. Good luck on it Matt. Gary

I was going to tell you to take it to your local VET. and see how much they would charge you to Xray it, then you will know what you have inside.

This specimen is not a new find. I found it last season, a few months back.

I have several that would be great under the saw, but this one is a little

bit different. I think it would be better acid treated. The gold is not spread

out and very little is showing on the outside.

Steve, this find was from a new patch on a different property. I really hope

to get up and check out the cave soon. I still want to have you make me the

ring we discussed. Also, that slab from a specimen you cut for me a couple years

ago will make a pendant for my wife.

Matt

Archived