Aus. in Oct.

Hi Guys, I am heading to the Outback in Oct., and can use all the help that I can get. Anyone with contacts and willing to share, please do. A friend and I will be near Leonora for about 30 days. Not sure of the details yet, but we are working on them. Gary Guinotte, if you see this post, then please contact me. Thanks in advance. Doug :rolleyes::D

Hi Guys, I am heading to the Outback in Oct., and can use all the help that I can get. Anyone with contacts and willing to share, please do. A friend and I will be near Leonora for about 30 days. Not sure of the details yet, but we are working on them. Gary Guinotte, if you see this post, then please contact me. Thanks in advance. Doug :rolleyes::D

Hi Doug, I posted this reponse elsewhere as well.

My suggestion (warning) to you on the outback travel is to be prepared. Wide open spaces, bright blue sky, and red earth and unique plants and animals will all add to a unique unforgetable experience if you are prepared, careful and respectful of your suroundings. THis is a tough and ancient land.

October is starting to warm up (mid Spring) in the Goldfield areas of WA (north of Kalgoorlie). Distances are great between reasonable food, water and fuel so plan ahead with safety and preparation (vehicle, fitness, medications, good reliable equipment, plenty of water good maps, GPS, 2 way radio). Buy what you can in more affordable areas. Take hats, good sunglasses, fly veils, skin protection.

Most prospectors & visitors will be beginning to leave the Goldfields (due to heat building up) and returning east. Remember we drive on the left here. Avoid driving at dawn and dusk as that is when wildlife is most active and an impact with a kanga can spoil your day if not your life.

This is just general advice. Ask if you want more, except where to go others will help you with that. Caravan park should be freeing up by then but book ahead.

Enjoy you stay. If you plan to visit other goldfield in other states conditions and warning would be different. Maybe have a chat to Fred who has just returned from Australia. His suggestions would be fresh and useful.

cheers, Huego :)

Doug,

You'll have a blast...but your going from Summer to Summer! Plan a Winter trip back up this way too! Good luck.

LuckyLundy

LL, Actually he's going from autumn (fall) to spring, so not so bad. (Spring in that area can be a bit changeable too rain & cold snaps). There ould be some nice (late) desert flowers about. Most bloom in Sept I think. WA desert wildflowers attract many tourists in Spring.

But Summer (Dec-Feb) in that area (Leonora) is almost unbearable outside, sun can be scorching.

Huego

It been a cool-cold & wet winter in SE Australia (SA, Vic & NSW). Snow falls in the Southern Alps with 5-6 ft of fresh snow. The snow bunnies are loving it after years of drought. WA has been drier though. Such a contrast to west & south of US with 100+ F temps.

But when the earth rolls over in 2-3 months the southern hemisphere will get the sun and you will have winter. Just what you have been waiting for!

Doug, when you are here, remember you may be disoriented. The sun will be in the northern sky not the southern sky like you are used to in the US.

Have a good chat with Fred as he just come back, he will have lots of tips for you.

Cheers Huego

Yup about getting goofed up with North and South. On both my trips South of the Equator in Brazil, if I did not have my GPS I would have been turned around. It's a very hard thing to get used to. Course the Jungle did not help either and I was pretty close to the Equator so at noon it was almost directly overhead and that made it more confusing to some one used to being 45 degrees North....

Doug, have a grand adventure!

For sure, you better have a compass and a good GPS with spare batteries; and KNOW how to use it!

My brain will not accept the change in hemispheres...an infallible sense of direction would have been a nice gift from my creator...

Fred

super cool! i had a great time hunting with you in greaterville with your attitude and kind nature im shure you will have a good turn out best of luck Justin

It been a cool-cold & wet winter in SE Australia (SA, Vic & NSW). Snow falls in the Southern Alps with 5-6 ft of fresh snow. The snow bunnies are loving it after years of drought. WA has been drier though. Such a contrast to west & south of US with 100+ F temps.

But when the earth rolls over in 2-3 months the southern hemisphere will get the sun and you will have winter. Just what you have been waiting for!

Doug, when you are here, remember you may be disoriented. The sun will be in the northern sky not the southern sky like you are used to in the US.

Have a good chat with Fred as he just come back, he will have lots of tips for you.

Cheers Huego

Thanks Huego, I am open to all suggestions that you might give. My main concern is getting permission to hunt. Thanks again. Doug

Yup about getting goofed up with North and South. On both my trips South of the Equator in Brazil, if I did not have my GPS I would have been turned around. It's a very hard thing to get used to. Course the Jungle did not help either and I was pretty close to the Equator so at noon it was almost directly overhead and that made it more confusing to some one used to being 45 degrees North....

Doug, have a grand adventure!

Steve, I bet that was agreat trip, going to Brazil. When we see each other again, you will have to tell me all about it. Happy Hunting.

For sure, you better have a compass and a good GPS with spare batteries; and KNOW how to use it!

My brain will not accept the change in hemispheres...an infallible sense of direction would have been a nice gift from my creator...

Fred

Hi Fred, Nice to hear from you again. We both have Garmin's and both have walkie-talkie's and plan on having enough batteries. Can you take the batteries on the plane in you luggage. How expensive is it to rent a small Moterhome? Thanks for your help. Doug

super cool! i had a great time hunting with you in greaterville with your attitude and kind nature im shure you will have a good turn out best of luck Justin

Hi Justin, I will be home a week from next Wed.. May be we could go back where we were, when I had to leave. I sure liked the area, and think that we will find so Yellow. Take care, Doug

Huego, good advice.

Those places can be very harsh on vehicles. If you're going very far from Leonora, then make sure you take plenty of water, and let a few trusted people know where you're going and when to expect you back. If you stuff up with the vehicle, stay with the vehicle until help arrives!

Permision to hunt is actually very easy. Make sure you have a miners right for WA. Then use tengrapgh, or start here http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/413.aspx. All mining leases can be called up on google earth. If you want to explore on exploration leases, contact the person who has the lease and make sure you have a section 20a permit.

Huego, good advice.

Those places can be very harsh on vehicles. If you're going very far from Leonora, then make sure you take plenty of water, and let a few trusted people know where you're going and when to expect you back. If you stuff up with the vehicle, stay with the vehicle until help arrives!

Permision to hunt is actually very easy. Make sure you have a miners right for WA. Then use tengrapgh, or start here http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/413.aspx. All mining leases can be called up on google earth. If you want to explore on exploration leases, contact the person who has the lease and make sure you have a section 20a permit.

Thanks, my friend

Doug,

another thing in addition to other items you need to carry, I suggest you take a firestarter (metal type, that you scrape) or water-proof matches as a smoky fire attracts a lot of attention, can keep you warm at night and is very comforting when things go wrong.

If lost or broken down with a vehicle, always stay with it as Argonaute advises. It offers shelter and is easily seen from air etc on tracks. Good tyres and 2 spares at least is suggested if driving on rocky tracks. Take care when driving off the tracks as staking tyres on shap mulga stumps is common.

Snacks, like dry fruits and nuts, are easy carried without much weight, but water is the most important.

Enjoy your visit to Australia and may you find some nice gold to share as pics here.

Huego

Doug,

another thing in addition to other items you need to carry, I suggest you take a firestarter (metal you scrape) or water-proof matches as a smoky fire attracts a lot of attention, can keep you warm at night and is very comforting when things go wrong.

If lost or broken down with a vehicle, always stay with it as Argonaute advises. It offers shelter and is easily seen from air etc on tracks. Good tyres and 2 spares at least is suggested if driving on rocky tracks. Take care when driving off the tracks as staking tyres on shap mulga stumps is common.

Snacks, like dry fruits and nuts, are easy carried without much weight, but water is the most important.

Enjoy your visit to Australia and may you find some nice gold to share as pics here.

Huego

Thanks again, I would love to take my Polaris Ranger with, but I am looking at a rental that will do the job. Someone suggested that I rent a motor bike. What do you think? Take care. Doug

Thanks again, I would love to take my Polaris Ranger with, but I am looking at a rental that will do the job. Someone suggested that I rent a motor bike. What do you think? Take care. Doug

Hi Doug, Both quad bikes and 2 wheelers are used to improve range from a bush campsite and get into more difficult areas. BUT I have used neither there so can't comment. I have always walked which gives you pleanty of time to look and think about your surroundings. But it is tirying and limits your range. If you feel adept on 2 wheels, a small lightweight but reliable unit (eg 125 cc Honda) may be OK. But be careful as a fall or even a puncture may spoil your day if you are far from home. Rocks, ruts, soft sand, sticks and sharp stakes are all plentiful hazards.

You may encounter a snake (I never have). Best avoided and most will try an avoid you too, unless they are forced to defend themselves. A snake bandage may be worthwhile carrying. You will be able to buy them here. They are a compressive bandage that slows circulation.Speak to locals about animal hazards, they would be few.

My advice is my own opinion of course. It could differ from others.

Cheers, Huego :)

Hi Doug, Both quad bikes and 2 wheelers are used to improve range from a bush campsite and get into more difficult areas. BUT I have used neither there so can't comment. I have always walked which gives you pleanty of time to look and think about your surroundings. But it is tirying and limits your range. If you feel adept on 2 wheels, a small lightweight but reliable unit (eg 125 cc Honda) may be OK. But be careful as a fall or even a puncture may spoil your day if you are far from home. Rocks, ruts, soft sand, sticks and sharp stakes are all plentiful hazards.

You may encounter a snake (I never have). Best avoided and most will try an avoid you too, unless they are forced to defend themselves. A snake bandage may be worthwhile carrying. You will be able to buy them here. They are a compressive bandage that slows circulation.Speak to locals about animal hazards, they would be few.

My advice is my own opinion of course. It could differ from others.

Cheers, Huego :)

Thanks Huego, I just found out that you can not take a two wheel drive camper off the paved roads. What a bummer. They want $150. a day for a 4WD camper, and that is a bit much.Still working on it. Thanks again, Doug

Doug; when you contact Chris G ask him for larry baker's phone number. Larry is a little bushy but a great gold finder...he may still be "guiding" people for a fee...if you rent a small van or wagon you could camp in tents, cook over the fire and get around...water will be the big problem...also ask Chris if he has any of Doug Stones new maps of the area you want or you could contact Doug directly outdoorpress@bigpond.com ...give me a call if there is anything else I can help you with...by the way you better check to see what is required for an international drivers license...

fred

Doug; when you contact Chris G ask him for larry baker's phone number. Larry is a little bushy but a great gold finder...he may still be "guiding" people for a fee...if you rent a small van or wagon you could camp in tents, cook over the fire and get around...water will be the big problem...also ask Chris if he has any of Doug Stones new maps of the area you want or you could contact Doug directly outdoorpress@bigpond.com ...give me a call if there is anything else I can help you with...by the way you better check to see what is required for an international drivers license...

fred

Thanks Fred, I will call you tomorrow, if you are around. I am out of minutes until the 4th., unless you are on Verizon. Later, Doug

Archived