Has anyone tried this Google Earth Software?

Lucky Joe and Flak got it right. Rod did a good thing putting together the power pack. The price is right (free) and you will get everything but the mines database. We use it as a preliminary tool to look over an area, very useful. Stop by the forum and give Rob a thumbs up, he deserves it.

If you want the mines database it's free too. Go to the USGS MRDS website and choose the area you want to download. There are instructions, on that same USGS page, on how to install that data in Google Earth. You will now have what this and several other companies offer and you will have done it for free. The two mines databases have now been combined at the USGS and you will probably have a more current version that the one offered for sale.

Sounds good? We use some of the MRDS mines (Mineral Resources Database System) as part of one of the more than 20 mapping layers we create for each FootPrint. You will find that the MRDS has a lot of duplicates, has very little information on most mines and is often poorly located- sometimes miles off. It is a good starting point when looking at a new area but I wouldn't trust the information enough to plan a prospecting trip.

clay

MinerDiggins

I have tried the LR2000 and found it interesting when I first started researching old claims.

The problem I ran into was not in the usage of the program, it was getting the right dimensions on claims....Length, width, description, etc.

So when I wanted to go to the field and go to an area I had in mind, it didn't jive. If the claim was not a complete 20 acre single claim in a perfect rectangle I found it hard to find.LR 2000 may have the area shaded as claimed up, but the information label may be on the next section a mile away. I didn't feel real comfortable going out and starting to dig in those situations.

And there are a lot of disputed claims already so I want to know what info the county has, more so than the BLM.

Being a nurse, we learn to find the best source to research a subject, we need a source that has a compilation of data before we can make an "accurate plan of care." I am not saying you can't go here and there and eventually put all this data together yourself, but for me......I don't have the time. So far the best prospecting program I have seen is "Footprints".........now take that from a rookie detectorist/drywasher/desert rat....and don't anyone get bent out of shape. LOL.....

You know we agree paying top dollar for the best detector we can afford is a good idea,,,,I submit to you that the same goes for prospecting software. In my humble opinion...paul

PS Clay......can you send me my free copy now!!!!.....hahahaha....just kidding.....good hunting whatever method you all use.....i'm going to Alaska for awhile. ;)

Thanks Clay, Congress Man, Flak, and Joe.. for the good advice, and free download. I currently have the mines usgs database on my google earth, along with all my marked sites, and pictures with notes, sure comes in handy for records. I love the way you can overlay old maps on it, I have found a lot of interesting area's using old topo's overlaying on google earth.

Dave

You are welcome Dolan Dave. Hope that gets you some good nuggets.

Thanks for the kudos Congress Man. We made FootPrints for prospectors and it's gratifying to know that it is working for prospectors. I don't know if you remember- we met briefly this past spring in Stanton. Sorry to hear you are leaving us for Alaska, I imagine you will be back when you realize Alaska gold is nowhere near as pretty as Arizona gold. Besides those Alaskan nuggets are too big to fit in your pocket- very irritating. :rolleyes:

clay

MinerDiggins

p.s. Your check is in the mail! :lol:

Once you've used Rod's program, and the LR2000 and the GeoCommunicator, all you need to do is go to the appropriate county recorders' public records online and you can find and download actual pdf's of claim location notices complete with original location map and description...All for free..Cheers, Unc

That works in Maricopa and Yavapai County Arizona. In Mojave county the recorder (Dolan Dave is in Mojave County) wants a $1.00 a page and will mail you copies after they search.

Most counties don't have an online record section and even those few that do want money to use it. Ruby put together some cool maps of the Western States that have links to most of the county recorders in the West. She is still working on some counties but most of them are there.

Check out your county HERE and see how you can get mining records. That's a permanent link so you can put it in your research bookmarks.

clay

MinerDiggins

Archived