GPX 5000 under powerlines in Cancel mode

Here's a photo of a few of the items found in 15 minutes under the power lines at Decision Corner in Stanton:

Photos

I think the round item might be a jeans rivet.

These aren't the huge power lines- just some local feeds, but were still producing a "symphony" until Cancel mode.

A large piece of wire produced a much more subdued signal than normal in Cancel mode.

I'll make a brief demo video if there's any interest.

• Admin

Hello Kelly,

Yep, the Cancel mode on any GP or GPX works well under powerlines. The area you're talking about can be productive if you cross over the right target. The "Cancel" mode works well, but keep in mind you probably loose about half your depth and senstivity in mode.

Another suggestion is a Coiltek AI (anti interference) searchcoil. With a coil like this, you actually can hunt in the DD mode and maintain most of your depth and sensitivity that you would get out of a standard DD coil. I've sold many to guys working that same area that have found some very nice specimens, one about 8 pounds under those very same powerlines about two years ago.

The Coiltek AI coils are not a secret, but most that are using them don't talk much. I guess they want to keep all those powerline patches and areas to themselves! The AI coils come in several sizes, the 11 & 14-inch round being the most popular.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

When I was first learning, I used cancel with some success on the 24K pushs on the opening morning, but there were 50 other Minelabs all around me. You could barely hear a beer can.I have never tried it around power lines. Kelly, Its good to see you are thinking outside of the box. I got a couple spots in mind for you at Gold Basin. Rob, Just how smooth will one of those AI coils, on a 4000, be around big lines?

• Admin

Hey Bunk,

My experiences with the Coiltek AI coils on the GP series was I didn't hear hardly any EMI around Power lines. I was practically right undernearth them and didn't hear much at all. I was pretty amazed and know other are also with how they perform.

I would like to try one on a new Minelab, such as the GPX4500, 4800 or 5000 to see how they perform. I'm guessing the exact same as above.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

8 pounds?!? :o Aye carumba!

Maybe I'll start digging some of those larger targets I'm assuming are mine junk.

Yes, Bunk, I was figuring maybe the area underneath lines is less-worked due to interference on other machines.

Plus it's fun trying different settings (hiked back to truck to remind me how to get in Pinpoint mode- gotta carry my cheat sheet) ;)

• Admin

Hey Kelly,

The 8 pound piece was actually a big piece of quartz with about 3-4 ounces of gold showing. Not sure what the total content of gold was, but it was nice looking and would make a nice desk piece.

The big screaming targets could be specimens or nuggets, but most are probably iron rubbish. A couple of years ago a guy found a huge quartz piece, probably about 50 pounds in weight and had to get his quad and winch to get the quartz boulder out of a small gully. Never heard how much gold was in this piece, but goes to show it could be out there.

wishing you the best,

Rob Allison

Archived