some type of tear gas bomb

hi all, i found this while out in the goler area. i was on my way and stopped to take a whizz. and looked down and saw this half way burried. it says cs in on the red stripe. had a ring that goes through the top button and like a cater key on other side.i looked up cs and says tear gas. so im assuming i found a live tear gas grenade or something. i know there are some vets out there who can confirm. and is this illegal to have.

john

post-423-129117288726_thumb.jpg

post-423-129117306956_thumb.jpg

post-423-129117317098_thumb.jpg

Hey John, CS gas is no joke. I would call the fire department and have them come over and get rid of it - but hey, that's just me. - Terry

thanks terry, i have no intentions of messin with it lol. i just want to confirm what it is. i have a fire dept at the end of my road. tomorrow ill take it there. its been in my jeep since last week and i forgot about it til today lol.thanks for the advice.

john

thanks guys, it is a live one for sure. its metal and has some weight. ill just be safe and take it to fire dept tomorrow. hope i dont get arrested and the swat team at my house,lol. thought of taking it to police or sherriffs station. but they shoot ya in kern county when ya walk in or have somethin like this.then they ask ya questions. im just afraid they might come tear up my house and think im a terrorist or somerthing. i def dont want it to get in anyones hands.i stopped just few hundred yards off hwy 14 onto rands/redrock road to goler.got out and walked to some bushes to releive my kidneys and saw it. thought it was a grenade at first. thought about blowing up a mine lol.just kiddin. no dummy here. ill take it and see what happens.

john

Take it to the local welfare office and yell boarder patrol, pull the pin and roll it in. . you'll have ever illegal in the place running. Just joking. From the looks of the looks of it, the spring that is in the little flap that hits the firing cap is prob. too rusted, but you never know. Grubstake

Take it to the local welfare office and yell boarder patrol, pull the pin and roll it in. . you'll have ever illegal in the place running. Just joking. From the looks of the looks of it, the spring that is in the little flap that hits the firing cap is prob. too rusted, but you never know. Grubstake

well grub, its sand still stuck to it, dont really see any rust on it.i didnt wanna go rubbin on it and banging the dried sand off lol.it would be good for finding someone hiding from ya. when ya go to their house and ask for them and they say he aint here or she lol, toss it in and see for yourself lol.

john

I'll tell you thats bad stuff, but when I was in Germany, I went to Velsic and went through CBR NCO school we went through , Clorine and like a dumb ass I volinteered to test Mustard gas, daluted to 1/10 % normal , with just a pin head, one drop of that crap, left me with a half dollar sized scar for life on my left forarm. We all got to test out some nasea gas they we developing for crowd control. Bad stuff. We went through the CS, had to take our gas masks off name rank serial # then we could go out of the chamber, tears running,nose running and throwing you guts up. Grubstake

I'll tell you thats bad stuff, but when I was in Germany, I went to Velsic and went through CBR NCO school we went through , Clorine and like a dumb ass I volinteered to test Mustard gas, daluted to 1/10 % normal , with just a pin head, one drop of that crap, left me with a half dollar sized scar for life on my left forarm. We all got to test out some nasea gas they we developing for crowd control. Bad stuff. We went through the CS, had to take our gas masks off name rank serial # then we could go out of the chamber, tears running,nose running and throwing you guts up. Grubstake

thanks grubstake. ill just take your word for it. i really have no intensions of messin with it. just found it and would like to know the best way to dispose of it. fire dept sounds great.thats the reason i posted this post, so you experienced fellas could give me some advice. and verufy what i have. seems odd to just find this laying around like that. wasnt but 10 yrds off the rd.anyone else have any more confimation and experience and have seen this actual device ,please chime in.thats whats great here. can get advice and info on just about anything.

john

Gubelube,

I have used those alot and walked threw it while at training many times. It isn't that bad but is used outside only. In riots and things like that. I wouldn't take it to the fire department they don't us them. Take it out to the desert and pull the pin while holding the spoon down on the side and toss it and leave it be. Be up wind and leave, done deal.

Road Dog

My thoughts on the subject...

When you find stuff like that, it is best NOT to touch it at all! Call some kind of law enforcememt offical and let them deal with it. If you dont have cell service, take a GPS reading and call it in when you do. This goes double if you ever run accross any old dynamite!! Not trying to be a mother hen, but some of that stuff laying around the desert, can go off without warning, better safe than sorry!

Bunk

hi all, i found this while out in the goler area. i was on my way and stopped to take a whizz. and looked down and saw this half way burried. it says cs in on the red stripe. had a ring that goes through the top button and like a cater key on other side.i looked up cs and says tear gas. so im assuming i found a live tear gas grenade or something. i know there are some vets out there who can confirm. and is this illegal to have.

john

gube, whatever you do, do NOT carry this into a cop shop or fire station! Place it on the ground outside and then go in and let them know what you found and where it is. Otherwise, they may take one look at ya and think "YIKES! TERRORIST! KILL!!!" Be real careful how you approach the officials!

Kajun

gube, whatever you do, do NOT carry this into a cop shop or fire station! Place it on the ground outside and then go in and let them know what you found and where it is. Otherwise, they may take one look at ya and think "YIKES! TERRORIST! KILL!!!" Be real careful how you approach the officials!

Kajun

thanks again all, i know they wont have any use for it. im gonna take it and tell them and let them come get it outside. im just trying to put it in the right hands to be disposed of.not looking to stir anything up.just wanna make sure it gets away from someone who might hurt themselves. i found it in the middle of nowhere.ill go by and ask them first, tell them im gonna bring it and i got pics on my cell phone to show in advance so they dont panic.i dont feel comfy pulling the pin and setting it off.im not familiar with it so im not taking any chnces lol.

john

Personally I'd follow Road Dogs advice only I'd chuck it down a deep mineshaft after it's emptied all it's gas and I'd never say a word about it to anyone. Finding unexploded ordnance creates a big stink and the bomb squad will have to come out to dispose of it.

If you do turn it in don't tell them where you found it, maybe tell them you've had it for years and you forgot where you found it. Why? Because BLM won't rest easy knowing unexploded ordance was found in an area where people metal detect and recreate. They'll feel people lives are in danger and consider the the area a liability then shut it down. Before you know it we won't be able to go to most areas around Goler Gulch, the RMMA will get bigger and you'll need a permit to drive your vehicle on any roads around there and a letter from BLM to get access to any claims in the area. BLM will also come out and destroy roads to keep you in their designated areas and if you drive off the designated routes it's a $1,000 fine.

Thats an odd find for that area considering it's in between two air bases.

Once you're satisfied with the advice everyone is giving you in this thread ask Rob to nuke it because these forums are watched.

sorry all, i still have it way out back put up high. my jeep is in the shop getting the tranny rebuilt so i kinda forgot about it as other things been on my mind. havent decided what to do with it yet. its in a safe place. i have a huge yard so its not in harms way.my dad has 160 acres and thinking ill just take it up there and shoot the thing, then drop it in one of those many mineshafts he has on the property then have him dump a load of rocks over te top with the backhoe.boy, back in my wilder days i could have used something like this lol. just kiddin.i agree, just rid it and keep it quiet, we have enough trouble trying to prospect and so on without a panic and shutdown in the dessert.

john

Gubelube

Hey just for your info those do not look like standard US Army CS Grenades.. too thin and long and no spoons on them, they may be Police issue but not like any that I have delt with in the last 23 plus years in and around the Army... :excl: Another word of caution don't play with it or shoot it, that will make it unstable and if it is CS all you will do is spread that crap around. CS is not too bad and will disipate but the residual powder can screw with you if you walk through it and kick it up... Causes Snot to hang to your knees, vomiting, stinging of the eyes, feels like prickely heat stinging/burning of exposed skin. Best to just not to mess with it. My Two Cents...

Very Respectfully

RANGERMG

Tim

Archived