Gold Bug 2 vs Eureka

I primarly use my GPX 4500 but I would like to get a backup detector.

I'm looking at the Gold Bug 2 or Minelab Eureka. Anyone have an opinion

on which would be better?

I really like my 4500 I'm looking for an extra machine for friends and relatives who want to go on occasions

but don't have a detector and if mine has an issue I'll have something else to play with.

You want to get the GB2. You already have the 4500 for the big/deep stuff, now you need something to get the smallest gold possible. I've used both and can tell you that the GB2 will outscore the Eureka on that subgram gold. (Just make sure to use the 6-1/2" coil) The GB2 is also far lighter weight. I switch back and forth between my 4500 and GB2 depending on where I am hunting and think they make a great combo.

Lucky Joe

I really like my 4500 I'm looking for an extra machine for friends and relatives who want to go on occasions

but don't have a detector and if mine has an issue I'll have something else to play with.

Will you (or your family and friends) be using it only for gold, or for coin shooting too Miner49? If only for gold then I would agree with getting the GB2; if for gold and coins, I'd lean towards the X-Terra 705 Gold. That way you'd be good for both. I have never used a GB2 to hunt for coins though. Anyone else with more Gold Bug 2 experience use theirs for coins, and if so, how does it fare? Another consideration is location, and what type of ground will you be using it on? That will make a big difference on which detector will suit you better too. One advantage the Eureka has is the multi-frequency option too. Like having 3 detectors in one.

Cors

Minelab X-Terra 70, 5"x10" & 6" 18.75 kHz coils

Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

I primarly use my GPX 4500 but I would like to get a backup detector.

I'm looking at the Gold Bug 2 or Minelab Eureka. Anyone have an opinion

on which would be better?

Cheeseburger with Cheddar cheese, or a Cheeseburger with Swiss cheese. Which one is better? Hell, put bacon on it and I'll take either one! - Terry

Thanks guys for sharing your opinions and experience, exactly what I was hoping to get.

I am using it for gold nugget hunting, I think I'll get the GB2. Cheeseburgers with bacon do sount good!

• Admin

Hey Miner49,

I have both units that I use from time to time. The Goldbug 2 is more sensitive to small gold, but I think the Eureka has better immmunity with the 3 freqs vs. single freq VLF detectors. You honestly can't go wrong with either, but I have had trouble with the GB2 when you get into high iron rich areas.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Archived