Help The New Guy

Hey Guys!Love the FORUM. I just got started prospecting this year. In fact it was my valentines day present to myself to get some gear. I have been to a couple of places.. Colefax and Washington. Anyways.. I am going to Humboldt County for this weekend to see my mother and I was wondering where I should go for some sluicing. I will be staying in Fortuna and was wondering where the closest spot to try for some recreational gold.. I know there is Gold off of highway 299 and I was wondering where is a good place to start. Also has anyone ever heard if there is gold off of Highway 36? Havent heard anyone talk about it. That would be closer to but either way I would love some info..

Thanks Boys

Ugbomb

Anyone? hahahah

As I remember, there are some campgrounds near Weaverville off 299 where you can go panning.

Chris

Thanks man! Yea I was checkin that area.. I will most likely end up that way but im still curious about highway 36..

The Golden Quartz area is gorgeous in Washington.

• Admin

Hey Ugbomb510,

Welcome to the forums. I personally don't know much about the area, but hopefully some others will chime in and help you out. I would continue to search the search engines with keywords that might help narrow down your search.

Wishing you much success,

Rob Allison

I'm not to particular about the scenery as long as the gold is there. lol

Oh its there.. Found some ok stuff there.. Water is high tho.

Oh its there.. Found some ok stuff there.. Water is high tho.

Hey Ugbomb510, There is a free zone along the Trinity River at Big Bar, you can pan, sluice, detect, snipe, all but dredge. Almost anywhere along the Trinity that you do not see a claim marker or sign you are pretty safe just panning. Most claim holders wont run you off. I would concentrate on the area from Big Bar to Junction City. You might even get lucky and score a piece of Platinum along with some Gold. Hit the inside turns and seek shallow crevices that appear to have been unworked. Most crevices that have been worked quite recently will get a telltale buildup of carbon from vegetation laying in them, this is usually leaves that fill it up and rot and get covered up. If you hit a crevice like that then move on till you get one with hardpack material, clay and gravel,cobble. Good Luck, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Hey ugbomb,

as far as I've heard there is no gold on highway 36 west over towards fortuna. you'd have to come back east on 36 till you go over south fork mountain to get to south fork trinity river to get back in gold and platinum country. probably about 1 1/2 hours from fortuna. nice drive though.

good luck

Todd

Thanks boys! No detector here so im going at it old school. Ill let you know how it went! ;)

Ugs

Archived