Northern Nevada

Well, I have finally been able to plan a short trip to Northern Nevada to do some prospecting. We will only have about 2 days MAX of hunting time, so we will definitely NOT be cleaning out any areas :lol:. There will only be 2 detectors, a sluice box, and a few gold pans. I am real excited about this trip, even with it being as short as it is. Since I cannot routinely get out of state like this to do prospecting at this point in my life, I have only joined one club outside of California and that is the Quartzsite Metal Detecting Club. My wife cannot handle the extreme heat which is why we chose Nevada and is also why we chose to bring a sluice box as well.

Is there anywhere a person can do some nuggetshooting in Northern Nevada that is public, non-claimed land, that would at least give a small chance of finding some color? I was thinking of hitting the Rye Patch area, but I am not sure how much of that area is claimed. I am still new to the whole research part of prospecting. I know that the BLM has information on claims and what not, but I know nothing about the area and when they start asking me for specifics, I am going to sound like Bill Cosby after his dentist visit (let's see how many folks get that reference...lol).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will be the first real prospecting trip I take my 14 year-old daughter on so it would be cool to have something for her to get excited about.

On another note: I bought a 11" Mono Commander Coil for my 3000 today. Any comments or thoughts on that decision? I only paid $190 for it and it is guaranteed authentic and guaranteed brand new!

Thanks everyone.

Good choice on the coil.

You daughter will have a blast at Rye Patch because there are lots of gorgeous quartz crystals she can look for and collect.

You want to look for the areas called Placeritas, and Rabbit Hole, they are on the other side of the mountain range at Majuba Placers.

Doc

Thank you, DOC and adam. Was gonna stay in Lovelock at a motel, but just my luck, that same weekend there is a Lions Club convention in town so all the rooms are booked. Looks like I am pulling out the tent...lol.

Chris do think about the creepy crawlies at night, I would opt to sleep in the bed of the truck. Just saying. I've seen some hairy hairy critters out there. Then there are the bugs and snakes!! LOL! The areas Doc told you will do great for you. NVRADAR

Nvradar....thanks for the advice. I am pretty confident that my tent will keep the bugs out. I use it when I deer hunt every year and make sure it is always completely sealed. We are really looking forward to the trip.

In case you need a shower while camping out the Truck stop is only about 15 minutes away and they have hot showers, convenience store etc.

Doc

Nvradar....thanks for the advice. I am pretty confident that my tent will keep the bugs out. I use it when I deer hunt every year and make sure it is always completely sealed. We are really looking forward to the trip.

Hello,

I hope you do have a great time out there, but tents at Rye Patch can be a dicey experience.

The wind blows out there a lot, bringing with it finest of dust, which permeates EVERYTHING...

Be sure to anchor your tent well. Really well...

There is so much to caution you about, but then that would take some of the adventure aspect out

of the trip. Nevada does have extremes with heat and cold, so do take plenty of WATER, drink more

than you feel you need to, and, if you are up on the Rye Patch placers, and get turned around, just look across

the valley at the huge mining operation over there. The interstate can be seen running just below it, so

you can never really get too lost out there.

Never speed on those roads, they are killers on tires, carry a airpump and patch kit at the least and, at LEAST one absolutely good spare tire, two if you can. Two is the standard. Lots of very sharp rocks.

Got to go now...

Mother Hen

actually:

~LARGO~

For Rye Patch, you might try sampling/bucketing up some dirt from areas that are closer to or on bedrock from old dig excavations, although due to the limited water, you might just leave the sluice at home. I don't know if it's dry enough out there right now, but a drywasher would be an option if it is. And I second the advice about the tires, off-road tires are a must, don't go over 30 or so.

In case you need a shower while camping out the Truck stop is only about 15 minutes away and they have hot showers, convenience store etc.

Doc

Thanks, DOC. Not sure if she was correct or not, but the lady at the BLM office in Wiinemucca told me that she had recently received word that the campground at the dam had working showers as well...and it is only $5 per night per site. As long as she was right, that is!

Also, thanks everyone for the heads up on the conditions of the area, including the roads. We will be in a 4x4 Chevy Trailblazer with some SERIOUS off road tires. These things have some wicked tread on them. We have a new spare (same kind of tire) as well.

For Chris and others,

Not sure Chris on how experienced you are on mountain roads. Hope this info for you and others comes in handy. When I first traveled up mountain 4X4 roads it took several times for me to gain confidence in attempting to do so. Here in Colorado those mountain roads are steep up to 13,500+ feet. They are narrow, sharp talous rock laden, sharp turned, deep gullies and shelf cliff hanging roads. I now travel confidently but careful, these roads rated "D" difficult on the USFS topo maps. Not sure how rye patch is.

1. When traveling up or downhill under 25-30 MPH use first gear. It saves your brakes.

2. If your transmission has a separate O/D (overdrive) switch, switch it to the off position.

3. The vehicle going uphill has the right of way.

4. Pick the best path of travel when driving these roads.

5. Go slow

6. Carry a hydraulic floor jack is best. But it can be to big. I have a hydraulic bottle and scizzor jack with a piece of wood that will steady the jack from moving on uneven surfaces. Bumper jacks are no good.

7. Have a firearm nearby.

Jim

Chris,

When i overnighted at Rye Patch a fellow doing long-term camping there said people don't sweat the claims too much.

of course, grain of salt on that one but ya might head where there's people and aks about detecting, whatever.

Friendly folks I met would surely guest you.

Have fun! :)

Archived