Gold Basin Nugget #2

Sorry for the Typo it's supposed to say A double initiation for my GPX5000, not FPX5000.

Thinking like a nugget; finding the second nugget:

I know for you ol' timers these vidoes are boring, but for the new guys, who have yet to find anything, I think it is helpful to start learning where to look, and understanding how to let nuggets and their location sort of educate you.

So after I dug these little buggers I wasn't going to clean them. However, the one had me intrigued, the first one, because it looked like it was electrum.

At first I thought it was a boot tack because I saw a little piece of dried vegetation that looked like a piece of wire. But the super magnet confirmed that was not the target.

So when I got home I put the nuggets in CLR and cleaned them up. I think the first nugget has some silver amalgamated with gold.

By the way, whether or not I had a camera running I would have been talking like this anyway, even if no one was around. I have this running dialogue with myself all the time, and yes I answer my own questions.

I am amazed at the ability of the GPX5000. Up the hill I didn't find any gold but I did find old dig holes, so I am not the only one who has been in the area.

Thanks for watching, I know the videos are far from being professionally produced, but I always enjoy watching other people's videos, no matter what.

BCOT!

Doc

Another nice find, thanks for sharing Doc. Do you think Ml willl ever allow you to make a settings guide that sticks to the detector shaft for the ML 4500 like you have for the 5000? It would sure be nice.

Bill

Good detecting!

I think seeing and hearing these detectors finding gold is a fantastic learning experience...especially if someone is accustomed to hearing the sound of a vlf.

I once over heard my uncle talking to himself...when I asked why he was talking to hisself he replied " I just love to hear a smart man talk"...that shut me up...

fred

Dear Fred,

I know you have noticed this, but a lot of experienced detectorists go back and forth over a good target sound. I'm sure you do it. It's done so we embed that sound in our brain.

Learning that sweet wee wooo target sound is really critical. Also listening to see if it is a repeatable signal. Does it sound off going both ways? Does it sound the same if you turn 90 degrees to the target? Does the signal have a "tight" target sound. Jim Straight wrote the book zip zip. That's not the sound Minelab's make but the theory is the same, the target is very ditinct, it has a clean start and a clean finish with a spike of sound in the middle. It's not a long intro phase, signal, long exit phase, it's a very subtle difference but the latter is usually a minealized pocket or ground noise.

Thanks for you kind comments.

Doc

Good detecting!

I think seeing and hearing these detectors finding gold is a fantastic learning experience...especially if someone is accustomed to hearing the sound of a vlf.

I once over heard my uncle talking to himself...when I asked why he was talking to hisself he replied " I just love to hear a smart man talk"...that shut me up...

fred

Hi Doc,

I know that you know a lot more about detecting than I ever will, but I just have to tell you that Jim Straight did not write the book "Zip Zip", it was Larry Sallee that wrote that. I haven't heard much about him in the last ten years or so, I had my first nugget hunting lesson with him in the mid '90's. As far as VLF's go (Whites in particular, he was the guy in that time) I do like your videos though, they are very informative.

sourdough

Dear Sourdough,

You are absolutely right. I had a brain fart. Jim wrote follow the dry washers, as well as several others. Thanks for setting the record straight. And for all the rest of you out there considering my advancing years, just expect for me to get more and more shit wrong. So watch my posts carefully, because you never know when I might go completely off the rails.

I actually have Larry's book, and I wrote Jim Straight. :spank:

Thanks!

Doc

Hi Doc,

I know that you know a lot more about detecting than I ever will, but I just have to tell you that Jim Straight did not write the book "Zip Zip", it was Larry Sallee that wrote that. I haven't heard much about him in the last ten years or so, I had my first nugget hunting lesson with him in the mid '90's. As far as VLF's go (Whites in particular, he was the guy in that time) I do like your videos though, they are very informative.

sourdough

Doc, no worries. As all of us get there, we all have those moments. (Hell, I have more than I need) The one thing that we all need to remember is, it's better to get a little forgetful than not to be able to be remember at all. I feel that as you get older, it's a sign of wisdom. The youth of our nation could learn a thing or two from the ones that have been there and done it. My self included.

sourdough

Archived