Tick removal

I just read about this on an Oz forum.

It seems to be a valuable bit of info. to have.

Tick removal

Spring will be here soon and the ticks will soon be showing their heads.

Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets.

Give it a try.

Please forward to anyone with children... Or hunters or dogs, or anyone

who even steps outside in summer!!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share --

And it really works!!

I had a paediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick.

This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult

to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked

cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own

and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently),

and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way.

I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back

and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called

me back to say, "It worked!"

Please pass it on if it makes sense to you.

(thanks to "scrubhen" in Australia)

Hey Flak,

Good advice thanks... I have a friend whos wife came down with lime disease after being bitten with a tick.. to this day she is not the same, sick all the time, very frail, had to stop working ect... Dangerous stuff.

Thanks, Flak.........I use flea and tick shampoo morning and/or night...and repellent on my cloths...haven't had tick since I started doing this. Of course, I only do this when I vist Missouri, land of ticks and ignorance...or when I visit Oz which is not often, unfortunately.

fred

Sawyer makes a permethrin spray that you use to treat a pair of clothes. Stuff is amazing. The ticks literally die and fall off your pants within minutes of making contact. I usually treat a pair of pants, socks, and a long sleeve shirt or fleece jacket. It lasts for like 5-6 washes to.

Archived