Eureka Gold Question

So, I took the Eureka Gold out for some hunting during the warmer months this year. I was experiencing the detector being very stable while in fixed mode and pretty erratic while in any tracking mode. I thought normally the opposite would be true since the tracking should eventually cancel out the ground changes. Has anyone else experienced this or do I need to send off the detector for a check-up? It seemed that I could not swing the coil very fast when using the tracking modes or the coil detector would begin making noises. That may have been related to coil cable movement, but with absolutely zero instability in fixed mode I wonder if that was the case. (Unless fixed mode is like cancel mode on a GP model Minelab PI detector, then I guess I would be losing a lot of depth in fixed mode, but I don't think fixed would be comparable to cancel mode).

Just to elaborate a bit more, the detector seemed totally erratic and would never settle down in tracking, while it seemed much less sensitive in fixed, but it also was a hundred times more quiet. This was in Nevada, probably on fairly mild ground. It should have been ground balanced, at least I did go through the motions of balancing it. If that sounds normal under some conditions I won't worry about it, I was just surprised by the difference between settings.

Rex,

This behavior is in both slow and fast track? Also what are the other setting? If the sensitive (gain) is too high then it will chatter. And even more so in boost and fine. Freq?

This is a pretty rugged detector but those toggle switches get dirty and loose so a trip to the shop may be in order, if twiddling with the controls don't help.

Fixed is just the last GB reading locked in, so depth is not an issue till the ground changes.

I normally run in slow track the switch to fixed to recover a faint traget.

I have many years behind the Minelab VLF's.

You should hook up with me next time your in the RP area and I will help you all I can.

• Admin

Hey Rex,

I personally have a Eureka Gold and have used it a bunch. Without being there and seeing it work, it's hard to troubleshoot. It can be a bunch of things, from mineralization to something wrong with the coil or detector. Have you checked over the coil or tried a different coil for starters? The stock Eureka coils have had problems in the past.

The unit should be more stable in slow tracking and normal mode rather than running fast tracking and boost or deep.

If you're around somewhere where a dealer or someone experienced with the unit could check it out, I would highly recommend that. Worst case, you will have to ship it to Minelab Americas in Chicago, IL for repairs or a checkup.

Get back with me,

Rob Allison

Rex,

This behavior is in both slow and fast track? Also what are the other setting? If the sensitive (gain) is too high then it will chatter. And even more so in boost and fine. Freq?

This is a pretty rugged detector but those toggle switches get dirty and loose so a trip to the shop may be in order, if twiddling with the controls don't help.

Fixed is just the last GB reading locked in, so depth is not an issue till the ground changes.

I normally run in slow track the switch to fixed to recover a faint traget.

I have many years behind the Minelab VLF's.

You should hook up with me next time your in the RP area and I will help you all I can.

Hi nvchris,

It was very similar in both slow and fast track, constant noise matching every swing of the detector. I'll go ahead and probably send it in to be looked at early this spring maybe even this winter. It is a used model, so I don't know the history on it. I tried to set it up the way you suggested with the "super tuning" in a thread from the past. I would be open to hunting sometime, maybe I'll be out there this spring but I'm not sure if that will happen as of yet.

Hey Rex,

I personally have a Eureka Gold and have used it a bunch. Without being there and seeing it work, it's hard to troubleshoot. It can be a bunch of things, from mineralization to something wrong with the coil or detector. Have you checked over the coil or tried a different coil for starters? The stock Eureka coils have had problems in the past.

The unit should be more stable in slow tracking and normal mode rather than running fast tracking and boost or deep.

If you're around somewhere where a dealer or someone experienced with the unit could check it out, I would highly recommend that. Worst case, you will have to ship it to Minelab Americas in Chicago, IL for repairs or a checkup.

Get back with me,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

I have not tried another coil, I know I was going to purchase a larger Coiltek coil, but the company online apparently was defunct or did not have them in stock, they never charged the card online and I have not purchased the coil as of yet...Probably should have made the purchase from you instead! So, just using the stock coil. I'm kind of dreading shipping it to the new Chicago repair shop having read some of the negative threads about service, but I'll hope for the best. I know it was always reliable with Mr. Shultz back when he was at the Las Vegas shop.

Rex

Archived