Geocommunicator has changed again

We know they ditched the claim info awhile back, but I was still finding some use under Land Status to identify BLM land.

CLICK HERE

Now there's a check box for "BLM Mine Land Inventory" and for Land Status you choose "Surface Management Agency".

Perhaps greater minds than I can see if this is useful. ;)

Thanks, Adam!

p.s. Has anyone goofed around out by Dragoon, Willcox Playa, Dos Cabezas?

I'm thinkin of headin that way tomorrow.

Hi, Kelly I actually live here in willcox, Ive been out to the playa a couple times not looking for gold but there was a train robbery back in the day 1899 and supposeddly a lot of mexican silver pieces were never recovered.Never found any though.I'm looking at an area on the north slope of the cabezas now,going to try and get out there this week end to do some snooping around.Gotta watch out for the Klumps though they think the own the whole mountain lol.

Heres a link to the train robbery if you're interested.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30613F8395911738DDDA80894DA405B8585F0D3

Here is the link to the map services section.

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/ArcGIS/rest/services/SMA/MapServer

You can view the data in Google Earth. Select the View In: Google Earth option. Should ask you if you wand to save the SMA.kmz file. You can then save it to your my places folder. Uncheck the box next to SMA if you want to turn the layer off.

Hope it helps some...

Thanks, Adam!

p.s. Has anyone goofed around out by Dragoon, Willcox Playa, Dos Cabezas?

I'm thinkin of headin that way tomorrow.

Hey Kelly,

Ruby and I managed a ranch in the Dragoons a couple of years ago. There is not much in the way of placers up there except a small one on the gulch just east of the old hospital ruins in Gleeson. It used to be open but it was claimed up last year and I've heard from some local ranchers that it was being worked with heavy equipment.

Maureen Johnson describes it pretty well in her book.

Ref.: Johnson, M.G. (1972), Placer gold deposits of Arizona, USGS Bull. 1355, 103 pp.

Orris, G.J. and Bliss, J.D. (1985), Geologic and Grade Volume Data on 330 Gold Placer Deposits, USGS Open-File Report 85-213, 172 pp.

MRDS database Dep. ID file #10064149, MRDS ID #TC38402.

A former small surface Au placer deposit/mine located in T19S, R25E. Produced 1910, 1932-1935.

This deposit is composed of thin mantles of gravel/soil on a limestone pediment. The source of the gold is believed to be the area's Pb-Zn deposits.

There are some very pretty rocks to be found near Courtland and Turquoise Mountain just North of Gleeson.

If you go up that way don't miss the Rattlesnake ranch.

You might try Turkey Creek east across the Sulfur Springs Valley in the Chiricahua Mountains. If it's not too cold I think there is some open placer ground above the Forest Service leased campgrounds near the top of the canyon. Some people have been known to pan in the creek at the campground. :rolleyes:

Give Chata a belly scratch for me.

Are you heading for Pietown Kelly? Save me a few slices if you make it over there. :D

MinerDiggins

Subscribe to the NewDiggins Newsletter

We know they ditched the claim info awhile back, but I was still finding some use under Land Status to identify BLM land.

CLICK HERE

Now there's a check box for "BLM Mine Land Inventory" and for Land Status you choose "Surface Management Agency".

Perhaps greater minds than I can see if this is useful. ;)

Subsurface mineral extent is not displayed. :angry2:

MinerDiggins

Subscribe to the NewDiggins Newsletter

Thanks, Shewt. Interesting stuff! I'll contact you if I'm gonna be around your area on a weekend.

Played around on Willcox Playa about 30 minutes yesterday.

Then went up Middlemarch rd from Sunsites - washes look roiled for the shovel fans amongst us.

Went back today on west side of Dragoons and goofed around a little. Only went part way up jeep trail cuz my craigslist quad was smokin 1-minute video

Beautiful view and great weather.

Rugerguy - love the BLM maps in Earth- much better than clunky Geocomm. Thanks!

Clay, Thanks for all the info. We just played around and beeped a little. Chata says thanx for the tummy scratches. :)

Now searching for P3.kmz (Potential Pie Places) ;)

Archived