Ways to get un Skunked

So the skunk is rydin ya back and ya cant shake the prick loose no matter how ya try :angry:

What can ya do to shake the stinky critter off ya and get back onto the gold ??

heres a few tips for the blokes who have the GPX Models,mainly the 5k

Here's a few simple Techniques to boost your gold intake. icon_cool.gif

You can think of the GPX range in the same way as a stereo equalizer, if one band is out of whack, its not running at

its premium ability.

There's no need to get overly aggressive on the tunings to start off with if your new to the GPX's, just a simple tweak up of the 4 main functional settings (Rx Gain,Stabilizer,Motion Speed & Audio) will put you miles ahead of the FP settings, but in real sense we really want to be making these babies really scream & sing, and an important factor to being able to do this is running a very well matched up coil for the GPX.

Also we do actually need to hear a bit of mineralization on our GPX's so we can realize when we can boost up the settings to get better performance, i know most blokes & gals these days are way to fixed on the "smooth threshold" theory and that can be a good/bad thing, reasons ? if you are able to run the machine as smooth &

quiet as a church mouse, you are not really forcing the best from your detector, if its smooth why not try to

tweak it up a notch or two, and keep tweaking with a good ground balance between each tweak until you just start to get some in-balance in the threshold.

The 5000 will cancel out nearly 95% of all hot rocks, the only major ones that get through are the hot rocks with very strong magnetic qualities and these are very few and far between.

We also need to be looking at a couple of other important factors also, and they are Swing Speed, Coil Hight from the ground and coil level (Horizontal).

The larger your coil is, the slower it needs to be swung, and the opposite goes for the smaller 14" and down size coils, the smaller sized coils can safely be swung with a 2 - 3 second swing and still remain stable and deadly on targets, the larger coils 16" and up need to be swung slower for two reasons, one is to allow the larger coil field more time to penetrate deeper and excite the deeper targets, and the other is because we are running a larger coil we are therefore scanning a lot larger area and amount of mineralization at any given time, so we need to swing slower to also allow the detector to be able to keep up with the processing of all this extra info that the larger coil will produce..

Its very important when doing a Ground Balance to have your coil fully horizontal in relation to the ground surface, this allows all of the coils windings to be presented to the ground equally and makes for a better Ground Balance and therefore a more stable detector which again allows us to tweak it up even more again..

Follow a few simple standard in field Tuning tips like these and you will get more gold.

Always ask yourself "can i get more outta this spot and how can i do that ?? there's only two ways to do that and one is bust a nut physically, the other is tweaks on your detector, of course when you combine the both thats when Magic Happens..

Pete B)

Pete, you're a good man.

If I didn't already push the envelope on my machine I'd be right on tract with you.

Excellent advise for users out there. Put these suggestions into practice in the field. Then make your own decisions based on the results for future use.

I can relate what Pete says to using a VLF in highly mineralized ground. Push that baby up to all you can handle , get used to the sounds and the targets will still appear on the audio.

Most likely more targets will appear then if you didn't push the envelope.

I have found that to be true with both my VLF and P.I.

Very good post Pete!

Thanks!!!

Tom H.

Archived