Meteorite Question

I couldn't find a section on here for meteorite questions so I will ask here and hope that it is okay. While out with my metal detector today I came across a really strong signal. After digging about 5 inches down I heard the loud "click" of something slamming on to my magnet. Upon inspection I found this little dude:

2395845670104764247S500x500Q85.jpg2605729730104764247S500x500Q85.jpg

It is half the size of a dime and weighs in at 3.4 grams. How can I determine if this is a meteorite fragment or just a piece of ironstone? It sticks to the neodymium magnet I have VERY WELL! The only reason I was thinking it may be a meteorite is because it was the only piece like it in a roughly 100 sq. ft. area. I figured if it was ironstone there would be more pieces. I may be, and probably am, wrong, but I am dying to know. Thanks in advance.

Hi Chris I answered part of your question on Bill's forum...a lone piece of ironstone is not unusual...which is likely what that is....O. Richard Norton's latest and last book is a great reference...

You belong to four clubs and they have some great claims, you really don't need to drive to Gold Basin to increase your odds...the Basin is a tough place for many...but well worth seeing.

You now haave the best of both worlds; a 5000 and a gold bug...good luck

fred

Here are a couple of hopefully better pictures of the piece. Is there a certain type of ceramic that I need to use to do the scratch test? Looking at it through a 10x loupe it has a lot of tiny little shiny metallic-looking crystals in it.

2959339950104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

2334233510104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi Chris I answered part of your question on Bill's forum...a lone piece of ironstone is not unusual...which is likely what that is....O. Richard Norton's latest and last book is a great reference... You belong to four clubs and they have some great claims, you really don't need to drive to Gold Basin to increase your odds...the Basin is a tough place for many...but well worth seeing. You now haave the best of both worlds; a 5000 and a gold bug...good luck fred

Hi Fred, thanks for the post. There is a lot of areas local for me to hunt gold, but the main reason I am looking at the Basin and other areas in Az. & Nv. is simply to be able to get out and explore new places I have not been to yet. I have hunted the area out here a lot and haven't really found too much, so I figure if I go to G.B. or R.P. or some of the other places I read about on the boards then I have just as much of a chance at finding gold there as I do here. BUT....the odds of me running into some of the folks here on the forums is much greater in that neck of the woods and I think it would be great to meet some of you folks in person.

Howdy Chris... For a scratch test... unglazed porcelen (sp?) .. Old toilet tank underside okay. PS: you are stll on the list...js

Howdy Jim....glad to see ya still posting. I met up with Judy Carpenter last week in Wildomar and paid my renewal fees so I am officially good for another year. On another note:

Well, I filed a corner off of the specimen and this is what it came out like. When I did the streak test on the back of a ceramic tile, it left no streaks at all. And when I used this identification site (http://meteorite-ide.../123455321.html) it matched with the last 3 descriptions.....so I am thinking that I found my very first meteorite. I could still be wrong, but either way I am excited nonetheless.

2538946300104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

Seeing over the next hill is always part of my enjoyment...if that is solid metal, only a test for nickel will confirm it is or is not an iron meteorite...meteorlab.com ; if they still do the tests, the price is very reasonable...

fred

Archived