Can you tell me more about this 5 cent piece I found?

Rob, its what they call a Sheld Nickle, made from 1866 to 1883Grubstake

Not worth much in that condition, 1877 was the key date, not many of them made that year. but millions of the other dates, If it was mint, in one of the other dates, which it is not, it would be around $4,000.00 as it is, about a buck or two.

the date and a shield should be on the other side.

Rob... Gary is right.... Back in July 2008 while returning from my 60th H.S. class reunion in Ely

I stopped off at Pogues Station. There I found a 1868 Shield... It was very black and coated as it

was on the surface... At this point I didn't know what it was but rubbed and rubbed it against my

pant's leg... then that everning on my way home I stopped off in Tonopah for the night, I got some

stuff from housekeeping and could make it out. When at home the next day I looked it up...Very

disappointed. However I'm happy to have found it a Pogues station...

Pogue is long abandoned and little left. It is in open range for cattle. While at Pogue, suddenly from

over the ridge to the east came a jeep. The driver was a local rancher to check me over. It seems that

the local ranchers are being plagued by cattlerustlers. Even though I was driving my Chevy Malibu, with

California plates he was nicely checking me out. But after asking a couple of questions which I

answered politely... all was fine... For those interested in Pogue... it is south of Eureka and North of

Duckwater. I'm now sure there is no buried gold coins at Pogue. But it is historical site and worth

stopping off and looking over... jim

• Admin

Hello Gary & Jim,

Thanks for all the help. I'm not concerned with the value, but the value to me is the story behind the find. I found the coin in an old placer drift, or better known as "Coyote Holes." Knowing where it was found, there is no doubt some old placer prospector was carrying it around. Trying to imagine those times, what the coin could buy and how it was dropped originally is worth more to me than the value of any coin.

Everytime I look at this coin, I can only imagine the real story behind it and try to picture in my mind what the owner looked like. I'm sure we always would like to know what kind of gold he was digging up also ... :huh:

Long, but not forgotten memories.

Rob Allison