First few runs with the GPZ

Hello all, I was able to purchase a GPZ from Rob a few weeks ago, and have had success cleaning out some old patches. My first run into took my girlfriend and her daughters out with me. I hit was wash that I had struck out with my old detector. I was able to find a few nuggets for 3.5 grams in about 45 minutes, then the girls got cold and wanted to head home lol oh well. 20170214_110725.thumb.jpg.e25d29f1211bbe541d16e8711143849a.jpg

The next day was to be a more serious day detecting. I met up with a buddy and went right back to that wash. I started pulling one nugget out after the other. Radioed Dave and he was striking out in another wash so I told him to start at the top of my was and hopefully he'd get his GPZ over some gold. I ended up with 20 pieces and Dave for 9. My best day behind a detector. 13.6 grams. 20170214_110617.thumb.jpg.220e0f9974f5f730f1f88c946d85b359.jpg

I have since went back to that wash and got 2.5 grams each on 2 separate days slowing down, hitting the sides and moving rocks. I may even try to find the source. 

Thanks Rob for great customer service, on a great piece of equipment. Now I need to get the 19IN coil. Lol

Can't wait to get back out this weekend. 

Edited by bsumbdy
  • Like 5

Say now,  Those are some very nice looking nuggets!!!!  Did those come out of Arizona, or Nevada ???  And, how in the world did you miss them with your old detector???  Based on their size, I would think that even a VLF would have picked them up.  Where they real-deep??  Based on the quartz within, I'd be guessing at Wickenburg-area nuggets, and looks to me like you are fairly-close-to the source.  Gary

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GDM/PV said:

Say now,  Those are some very nice looking nuggets!!!!  Did those come out of Arizona, or Nevada ???  And, how in the world did you miss them with your old detector???  Based on their size, I would think that even a VLF would have picked them up.  Where they real-deep??  Based on the quartz within, I'd be guessing at Wickenburg-area nuggets, and looks to me like you are fairly-close-to the source.  Gary

HI Gary, they are Nevada nuggets.  I had actually been through that wash with my ATX stock and 8 in coil. I had even been through it with my GMT. They were just too deep I guess. The GPZ is amazing. We traced the nuggets all the way up the wash and then up one of the banks. Not really experienced in tracing source but will give it a try. 

Chris 

• Like 1

Chris,  Yep, those are sure pretty-ones.   

If you traced the nuggets up "a ridge", and none of the other ridges (if you have checked them??) had any nuggets, And there where no more nuggets upstream of the last nugget found (in the wash or on the ridge) then you most likely have found the source.  I found a spot over here in Arizona like that where the nuggets in the wash led me upstream to a very small "stringer-wash", which turned out to be the source, as I couldn't find anything else upstream in the wash, nor on the banks or the ridge.  

Did you find all of these nuggets by using the your new GPZ detector-"ONLY", and digging for each signal???  If so, I'd say that your are still missing many-nuggets in that wash !!  You know that there's gold there, you just don't know how much you are missing by using your detector-only.  You may not be fond of this idea, but I would suggest that you now take the time and energy to "read-the-wash" and/or go back to each of the locations where you found a nugget and move all of the rocks and overburden out of the way (all the way down to solid bedrock) opening up an area say, 3' wide by 6' long upstream from each nugget especially on the inside bends.  You might be very surprised at just how many more you will find.   Gary    

18 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

Chris,  Yep, those are sure pretty-ones.   

If you traced the nuggets up "a ridge", and none of the other ridges (if you have checked them??) had any nuggets, And there where no more nuggets upstream of the last nugget found (in the wash or on the ridge) then you most likely have found the source.  I found a spot over here in Arizona like that where the nuggets in the wash led me upstream to a very small "stringer-wash", which turned out to be the source, as I couldn't find anything else upstream in the wash, nor on the banks or the ridge.  

Did you find all of these nuggets by using the your new GPZ detector-"ONLY", and digging for each signal???  If so, I'd say that your are still missing many-nuggets in that wash !!  You know that there's gold there, you just don't know how much you are missing by using your detector-only.  You may not be fond of this idea, but I would suggest that you now take the time and energy to "read-the-wash" and/or go back to each of the locations where you found a nugget and move all of the rocks and overburden out of the way (all the way down to solid bedrock) opening up an area say, 3' wide by 6' long upstream from each nugget especially on the inside bends.  You might be very surprised at just how many more you will find.   Gary    

Thanks, Gary. Yes I'm sure there is more gold in the wash.  It it pretty narrow with most of the nuggets being on the upstream end. When things dry out I  was planning on drywashing, to see how it pans out.

Chris