Rock Springs...Richard D.

• Admin

Hey Uncle Ron,

Yep, I remember that business card.   Richard was a great mentor to me.  Without his help back in the day, I would never be searching for gold nuggets.  He was a great teacher and friend, and without a doubt one of the best nugget shooter's I ever met. 

I wish I had taken more pictures of Richard and I, but felt he would be around forever.  

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Uncle Ron,

Yes, it was for sure.  Floyd and Richard were best friends.  I learned a lot from both of them.  I still pass over areas detecting where Richard taught me during the early days.  I can still imagine him there with me and telling me different things about searching for gold.  

About three days before Richard checked out, he was really down and out and drinking heavily.  He broke out into a cry and said his life was a disaster.  I was speechless for a few minutes, not sure what to tell him.  I never seen Richard like this.  I told him we needed to get back out in the field and that we should write a newsletter, monthly one together.  He perked up like a light and said that was a great idea.  When I left that afternoon, he was so excited about putting a free newsletter together with articles about hunting for gold.  Three days later a good friend from New River called and said Richard took his life.  

What I learned from this is that you never know what someone is going through, or what might be going on in their head.  If you know anyone that is suffering depression or having issues, it's the right thing to talk with them and tell them you love them, you're here for them and so on.  It could change their life.  I thought I did this with Richard.  

• Like 3

On 4/17/2018 at 6:48 PM, nuggethunting said:

Hey Uncle Ron,

Yes, it was for sure.  Floyd and Richard were best friends.  I learned a lot from both of them.  I still pass over areas detecting where Richard taught me during the early days.  I can still imagine him there with me and telling me different things about searching for gold.  

About three days before Richard checked out, he was really down and out and drinking heavily.  He broke out into a cry and said his life was a disaster.  I was speechless for a few minutes, not sure what to tell him.  I never seen Richard like this.  I told him we needed to get back out in the field and that we should write a newsletter, monthly one together.  He perked up like a light and said that was a great idea.  When I left that afternoon, he was so excited about putting a free newsletter together with articles about hunting for gold.  Three days later a good friend from New River called and said Richard took his life.  

What I learned from this is that you never know what someone is going through, or what might be going on in their head.  If you know anyone that is suffering depression or having issues, it's the right thing to talk with them and tell them you love them, you're here for them and so on.  It could change their life.  I thought I did this with Richard.  

That's the way he was when he and I and Larry (a propane truck driver who worked for me and was a regular beeping buddy of Richards) had breakfast there in the Rock Springs Cafe...He had a bottle in his jacket and was crying as he snuck drinks from the bottle...I had only met him a couple times before and hunted with him out around the rock cabin on the big bend at the Aqua Fria ... Larry is the one who told me about Richard's devastation over Floyd's passing.

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

Hey Adam,

I believe Rod Johnson wrote that book.  He suckered Floyd Allen to help give him some info for the book in return for some profits on the book.  Floyd didn't get a single dime out of the deal.  Richard and Floyd were best friends, so I'm sure some of Richard's info got into the book via Floyd.  That being said, Floyd told me personally, Thanks God I never told Rod any really good locations!"  

The book never sold very well, Rod eventually took off to Texas.  The shady deal that happened over the book didn't set well with Floyd and many others.  Rod used to live in Northern, Arizona.  

Rod wanted to place me in the book, luckily I didn't share any of my personal info.   

Maybe I'll write my own book someday, or not ..... ?

• Like 3

I`ve had a copy of the book for quite a while, and I did not think it was all that great. I guess there is some valuable information in it, but It definitely is not worth the cover price, that`s if you can even find the book.

I was taken directly to two of the locations in the book by a former mentor whom actually claimed one of the two spots, the other was on a Roadrunner claim. No gold was found, but i`m sure it was there at one time. 

Edited by adam

• Admin

Hey Adam,

I agree, the book wasn't done very well.  If I remember correctly, a lot of photocopied info and pictures.  I think Floyd had a feeling not knowing Rod Johnson very well to give him limited amount of information for the first Volume.  

This is the book cover -book.jpg.f4eb12fdfb1fb68bedfff040180fff2f.jpg