Will Wink Work?

I have this specimen and I don't like the darker rock. On another thread I read some of you had tried pool acid and Wink. I haven't had any luck with pool acid. What's your opinion for this rock? I have used Wink before but not for more than a day. Think it will dissolve rock if left in for a long period of time? TIA

post-28333-0-46930800-1378070282_thumb.j

post-28333-0-77298000-1378070308_thumb.j

• Admin

Hey Blake,

The dark rock looks like iron, or at least an iron mineral. Wink normally does work on iron and quartz, but since Wink is really a very low concentration of HF acid, you might have to leave it in for days, maybe a week. It works slowly and sometimes you might need to stir and even re-apply new Wink every day or so. As the acid eats away, it becomes less effective, or at least this is my personal experience.

Also, even though Wink is not really strong, I recommend all the PPE (eye glasses, rubber gloves, eye wash and such).

Take another shot once you clean it up a bit. Looks like it's going to be a beauty!

Hey Blake,

I agree. . . that is a nice piece. I have never found gold with that much iron mineral on it, all of mine had just an iron stain on the rock to which the pool acid and wink worked fast. I have also been told to change out the solution of wink after a bit of soaking. Can't wait to see it cleaned up.

Good luck

You should now soak it in baking soda and water for about a week to stop the HF from eating away anymore at the iron. That piece looks like the gold is being held together via iron and quartz. If you put it in baking soda solution and see bubbles form on the surface, that will tell you the acid is being neutralized.

Doc