Just for ROO

Hey Roo:
Your on the other side of the planet and I was just wondering how you guys go about it at this time?
Its probably as hot as it is here in our summer right now for you.

Dad and I can get out a few times when the temp is below 100F. Usually in the morning...start out at 6 am and hunt until noon. Then were toast. Washes are usually about 15 deg above ambiant temp.

What do you guys do over there right now? Is it just too blasted hot to hunt? or do you have days/weekends where it cools off also?
Just wondering.

Tom H.

Yeah same here Tom, out early, back before it heats up. In Victoria we do get relief though as our weather can come from inland or from south, the coast. Its not unusual to have 40c one day and just 20 the next. Sometimes though it stays crazy hot for weeks. Out in the bush though in certain areas it is often hotter than back home. Think its all the ironstone ground absorbing the heat and radiating it. Sometimes though it is just too hot when we have a heatwave, but luckily, like I said, we get the breaks here and there. Funny though, when your out hunting and its hot, you look for Roo lays if you want a break. Or if you disturb one or some, even wallabies. Go to where the lay is, where they laze out during the day, for a break from the heat. Its more often than not cooler where they have them. Many times I have come across one and gone to it and noticed the temp is much cooler than elsewhere. Clever critters! Their spots are easy to see as they will clear the ground where they lay down and its often amongst some lower and closer together tree/bushes than the surrounding ones.

Yeah same here Tom, out early, back before it heats up. In Victoria we do get relief though as our weather can come from inland or from south, the coast. Its not unusual to have 40c one day and just 20 the next. Sometimes though it stays crazy hot for weeks. Out in the bush though in certain areas it is often hotter than back home. Think its all the ironstone ground absorbing the heat and radiating it. Sometimes though it is just too hot when we have a heatwave, but luckily, like I said, we get the breaks here and there. Funny though, when your out hunting and its hot, you look for Roo lays if you want a break. Or if you disturb one or some, even wallabies. Go to where the lay is, where they laze out during the day, for a break from the heat. Its more often than not cooler where they have them. Many times I have come across one and gone to it and noticed the temp is much cooler than elsewhere. Clever critters! Their spots are easy to see as they will clear the ground where they lay down and its often amongst some lower and closer together tree/bushes than the surrounding ones.

Interesting..well we dont have roos out here....mabee I need to start following the lizards and rattlers in the summer.....something to think about as I put on another sweatshirt to go out on friday!!!!YEHAAH!! Cant wait. Batts charged...packed up....just waiting for the gun :)

Tom H.

Roo I can understand how that iron rich ground can absorb heat and probably keeps it very hot at night. we hunt at night here sometimes to beat the heat in the summer but here you have to worry about the cougars and rattlers, and I'm not necessarily talking about blondes. :) AzNuggetBob

Bob, I sometimes wonder about how dangerous it can be over there with your wildlife. Bears, cougars and things like that. All I have to look for are snakes.

Fortunately where I hunt there are not too many, too dry. Ironbark forests are pretty thin wildlife wise compared to other forest types. See one now and then but not often. Mostly see them on the roadside as I drive to places or when I go fishing. King Brown snakes, Tiger snakes, Black snakes and Copper heads. But what does bug me are our huge bullants. Those mongrels can be up to an inch or more long. When they bite its like a hot wire going into you which builds in intensity for a while and it hurts for ages. Now they are real common. Sometimes if your unlucky the bite is followed up with a bad swelling of the bite area on the limb which after a couple of days turns into a huge bruise looking like your leg was kicked by a horse! I hate those things. They chase you too, real aggressive. Don't know which annoys me most, detecting in winter and wearing two Tshirts, two jumpers and two pairs of pants or summer having to cover up because our sun and the UV index is off the chart.

Am I right in thinking though that Rattlers do live in the dryer places and you have to watch for them all the time in summer?

And yeah Tom, id be taking some serious hardware shootin wise if I had to contend with what you guys do over there.

Roo

I have to say our UV is off the chart here in AZ too not sure why? much higher than other states around us? the temps can be exstreme. both hot and cold. If were not complaining about the heat well I think you get it. Its all part of the game for me. some of us go north in the summer to beat the heat. Nev, NorCal, they call some of us snow birds and for you guys its south when it's hot because your south off the equator. I knew a few old time hunters that spent 6 months in Australia and the other six here just to beat the heat and hunt gold year around. Ive also heard about that Brown snake you guys have to deal with. AzNuggetBob

I have not run into any thing bigger then a javalina out in the hills.

I was more scared then they were.

Have ran into a few rattlers. I wear snake gators but I still hate them. Wont kill them just hate them :)
Ive seen pics of you guys prospecting with fly nets on your head.
Ive seen in General Hercules videos the flys are all over everything.

Take care.
Tom H.

Roo,

Rattlesnakes are in many parts of the USA not just the deserts.

In the SE USA where I live and down into Florida we have the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, it is the biggest of the rattlesnake species getting up to 8 feet long and can be almost as thick as a man's leg , the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake is almost as big being the second biggest rattlesnake and is out west in the desert regions.

We also have several other types of rattlesnakes in the east and so does the western states.

In AZ I have been threatend by quite a few rattlers including the Green Mohave. Once my father and I were hiking around Indian ruins near Beaver Creek in early February and found a hibernating den of probably 500 rattle snakes.Seriously no joking. My Dad almost stepped right into them. They didn't even aknowledge us. Most weren't moving some of them were just barely moving. I probably could have picked them up.

In Colorado on my way home from a trail ride I was driving through a residential neighborhood in the mountains and noticed some people on the side of the road. They were watching a small herd of whitetail. Right around the next corner a giant mountain lion crossed the road right behind my truck and I saw him in my driver side mirror. He was slinked down like a cat hunting and his tale looked 5 feet long.

Also in Colorado my wife and I had a couple close encounters with bears while camping.

Then of course there is the two legged critters to beware of. My buddys uncle use to go trail riding in central CO, on one ride while he was way back in the mountains two guys popped out the bushes and tried to lasso him off his bike with a rope. He got away and ever since packs a pistol on his side when he rides. I have been to areas up there that the woods are so thick you cannot see to far into them. Anything can be lurking. I have been told of escaped convicts and crazys living in the mountains. Some areas just feel strange when your in them. I liked being in the desert more!

Someone tried to lasso him :blink: Damn, don't want to think what would have happened had they succeeded, sounds like Deliverance dudes with a rope! And yeah I have heard of those Rattler dens, that's bizarre so many get together, those are weird snakes. And yeah, I wear a fly net most days in summer. You oughta see what its like trying to eat. Its like your own personal speed eating contest. Bob, those from other states call us Victorians "Mexicans". Been called worse, so I wear that tag from them :D

Our worst snake is the Taipan, but luckily its up in QLD. That things death waiting to happen. A good friend of mine from QLD a few years ago was bitten by one and died within minutes. The guys working near him, he was a power line worker, never even heard him yell out. Bummer, he was one of the nicest people I knew. Boy, id love to find a bit like that Adam, about ten ounces would do :D

Cartel? Is that like drug runners or something? Saw a movie once called "No place for old men" I think was the title. Some loony toon popping people with an air bolt gun type thing. Don't tell me you guys have them to contend with also. Im starting to feel like a pussy complaining about stupid angry ants now. Mad men lassoing people, mountain lions, cougars, bears, rattle snakes and now drug cartel loony toons :blink:! No wonder you guys pack heat over there. Damn, id be carrying a bazooka, an AK 47 and a bowie knife strapped to every limb if I was detecting in the States! Just kidding, though I would be carrying something with some serious stopping power. Sheesh, we've got it easy here for sure.

In my area, the Mexican drug cartel have been operating large multi-million dollar marijuana plantations on both private and public land. I have yet to walk into a large plantation.

I have been told by a first hand account that they guard the crop with AK's - serious business. Our sheriffs department does not want to have an armed conflict with them, so they give them advance warning (like flying the copter over the grow), allow them to run off into the woods, then they swoop in like a seal team to confiscate the drugs.

It has been indicated that there is human trafficking involved with the grows, so the stakes are potentially very high.

We have been lucky so far. I don't get too preoccupied with the whole issue, but simply always pack heat and keep aware of my surroundings.

Roo,

That was a great movie. It was called "No Country for Old Men".

I also forgot to mention my wife and I also had a very rare Wolf sighting. We were at the top of the peaks near Buena Vista in CO. It was Cottonwood creek pass. We were hiking and heard a howling and yipping very loud. Turns out it was a wolf that had just made a kill and was trying to attract a mate to share his feast with. He was announcing it to the entire canyon. After watching him do this for twenty minutes he picked up what looked like a rabbit and scaled the rest of the mountain about 1500 feet up to the summit in just a minute. He was jumping up 6 foot boulders like they were a park bench. It was unreal. A very rare sight indeed.

Wild animal attacks are rare, but they do happen. I remember years back a large mountain lion in SoCal was nabbing mountain bikers off a trail near a major city and dragging them down the hillside for a meal. It was eventually shot and killed.

Also some people camping in CO have been attacked by bears because they kept food in there campsite overnight. Right before the bears go into hibernation they become very brazin and will come right into your camp for food. That's what happened to my wife and I during the day on Labor Day weekend. Luckily we heard him coming from a ways away (he was snapping branches as he came our direction) and we just got in the truck and when he was close I shot off a couple rounds and he ran away. Needless to say we packed up and left that area.

Last hunting season my buddy was hunting down by the border here in AZ, he was walking along about 50 yards ahead of the group he was leading and heard a sound behind him. He turned around and it was a mountain lion in a tree about to pounce on him. He put four rounds into it with his pistol and killed it before it killed him.

On his trip hunting the very next week he was perched on the side of a hill and spotted 2 drug smugglers heading up a trail right towards him. His buddy immediately called Border Patrol. They got the guys and had 6 kilos of pot and 2 kilos of cocaine on them. The BP let my friend take pictures with the drug score. This stuff happens everyday down by the border. There is even guys sniping these smugglers and stealing there drugs. Its actually pretty crazy.

Imaudigger is exactly right about the drug cartels in CA, they are a serious problem for anyone that may stumble upon one of their grows. Human trafficking is also a major problem down here.

I am always alone when I go out and hunt, I have a .45 strapped to my side and a buck knife on the other. Call me crazy (I probably look a little crazy with a big knife, heat and all my detecting gear on) but I am prepared when I go out. I am actually more worried about something happening to where I would have to survive in the outdoors for a couple days or more. I always have extra water, an emergency blanket, a flint, food, and minor medical stuff. There has been many people that have died in the desert here looking for treasure because they were not prepared and educated about what they were getting into.

Ok Alwaysdirty now Its my turn for some stories. I was out this day and I felt this thing bite my leg, I looked down and damn this big bullant had........ :blush:

Ok, this other time I saw this big King brown snake which was coming my way so......... I got out of its way..... :blush:

Right, one day I smelt smoke and thought "bushfire!" so got in my car and when I got down the track these guys were.... having a BBQ.... :blush:

Mate we have none of that stuff go on here. Came across a couple of small crops once but they looked so pathetic I actually felt sorry for the guys trying to grow them that I felt like going to the shop and getting and leaving a packet of fertilizer there for them. :lol: (no I don't smoke but you had to see these things, it was hilarious) We have it so easy over here. All we contend with are idiots that try to vulture off you and jump your spot. Plenty of that but safe as houses otherwise. Guess that's why they call Aus the lucky country.

Ok Alwaysdirty now Its my turn for some stories. I was out this day and I felt this thing bite my leg, I looked down and damn this big bullant had........ :blush:

Ok, this other time I saw this big King brown snake which was coming my way so......... I got out of its way..... :blush:

Right, one day I smelt smoke and thought "bushfire!" so got in my car and when I got down the track these guys were.... having a BBQ.... :blush:

Mate we have none of that stuff go on here. Came across a couple of small crops once but they looked so pathetic I actually felt sorry for the guys trying to grow them that I felt like going to the shop and getting and leaving a packet of fertilizer there for them. :lol: (no I don't smoke but you had to see these things, it was hilarious) We have it so easy over here. All we contend with are idiots that try to vulture off you and jump your spot. Plenty of that but safe as houses otherwise. Guess that's why they call Aus the lucky country.

:lol: Real good Roo!

Like someone else mentioned, are the wild camels a problem? Have you ever run into any? I have also heard about those things.

If you ever make it to the states I'll take you on some adventures! For some reason I almost always see something when I go out.

Nah, the camels are over West Aus and places like that. Up north they have Buffalo that can get nasty. Im thousands of kilometres away from all those.

Seriously though I did have a big Brown snake hit/bite my detector coil once. The only one I have ever seen it that area in years. I haven't heard of what camels do though over here. Have you heard of them going people? The only problem I know is their numbers.

The biggest problem we have where I live are big Kangaroo's hopping out in front of your vehicle. That happens from sunset to just after sunup.

They cause serious damage as they are real solid things to hit, some, the males,can be 6 foot tall. If I go out real early I drive well under the speed limit through the roo areas. The crash repair guys make a fortune from roo damage where I live. They are in the thousands in the bush in central Victoria. See them every time I go out. They taste real nice though, had roo a few times. Roo burgers, steaks and roo sausages. Top meat!

Ya if you look at the details of those cougar attacks in Cali I noticed two of the last three attacks, they were both wearing black spandex, one jogging the other riding a bike. So what have we learned here.? never go nugget hunting wearing Black spandex. :blink::spank::lol:

BTW adam Very nice cubed speci and very rare too.

AzNuggetBob

Australia is my number one spot I have always wanted to visit Roo. From my perspective, the prople seem to be the way America used to be before the liberals took over and being politically correct . Im in Northern California,and like others said growers are a real danger here...they like to grow way out in the canyons and hills away from people...same areas we look for gold. Also walking into hornet nest have been a problem for me, hate them bastards! Ray

Nah, the camels are over West Aus and places like that. Up north they have Buffalo that can get nasty. Im thousands of kilometres away from all those.

Seriously though I did have a big Brown snake hit/bite my detector coil once. The only one I have ever seen it that area in years. I haven't heard of what camels do though over here. Have you heard of them going people? The only problem I know is their numbers.

The biggest problem we have where I live are big Kangaroo's hopping out in front of your vehicle. That happens from sunset to just after sunup.

They cause serious damage as they are real solid things to hit, some, the males,can be 6 foot tall. If I go out real early I drive well under the speed limit through the roo areas. The crash repair guys make a fortune from roo damage where I live. They are in the thousands in the bush in central Victoria. See them every time I go out. They taste real nice though, had roo a few times. Roo burgers, steaks and roo sausages. Top meat!

Mmmmm.... Burgers. I would try some roo meat! The camels I saw on some national geographic show and I was watching Bear Grylls doing his survival show in AUS and he came across some camels. He said that a small number of people get trampled by them every year. Then he killed one with his bare hands, gutted it with his teeth and slept inside it for the night! :blink: No just kidding... But he did say they do kill a few people every year.