Advice wanted

Just some background. I've been running the GB2 for 5 years now pretty regularly. I didn't find it that difficult to learn, kind of turn on and go.

I've recently spent probably couple weeks using a SD2100, which was even easier to use.

I like both, but someone has given me a GP Extreme to mess around with. It comes with a 9" x 5" DD Pro coil and the black 1800 DD coil.

Anybody have any pointers other than dig everything? Any useful you tube videos? I haven't spent any time reading the manual yet, which I will eventually get around to.

First, the black coil is likely a mono...to find out put the detector in cancel...and wave a dime over the coil about 6-8 inches away...if it is mono you will not get a response..if it is dd you will be able to detect it...

I forget the terms but using it in enhance and deep and fixed will be a almost universal set-up...also a 11 mono commander coil will be excellent for it...

fred

Ok, tested it out today. Found 2 small nuggets with the 9"x5" DD coil. Probably 10 grains and 4 grains.

Seems easy enough to run.

Some issues I noticed. Sometimes it would take 2 tries to get it turned on. I would switch it on..wait 20 seconds or so. No sounds. I'd turn it off and back on, then it would power up.

Also the discriminate mode seemed flakey.. Meaning when it worked, it would work fine, but I had problems getting it activated.

Also appears to be a short in the power cable. The threshold would cut out every once in awhile, wiggling the power cable seemed to affect the problem. This was towards the end of the battery life.

The detector has been in storage for several years. I hope the switches just need worked and the power cable replaced.

Overall it seems like a good gold machine. It IS horribly unbalanced when you use a small coil. which causes fatigue from trying to keep the coil down.

• Admin

Hello Imaudigger,

The GP Extreme is a great metal detector. The stock black coil is actually a DD, but an be placed in the mono mode and you will use only the left side. This coil is a Pseudo Mono, like the stock 11-inch that came with it. The GP Extreme came with both the stock 11-inch and 18-inch Round coils, both Pseudo Mono coils (DD and Half Mono's). The unit also came with a hard carry case, but most kept them when they units were resold.

No videos from Minelab on the GP Extreme. JP has a video on the Extreme and GP3000, which is highly recommended. We carry the video and it might help you out at some point.

I recommend digging everything if you can. It's hard to do this in very trashy areas, so using discrimination is an option.

Spare parts are recommended like others have stated.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison