Garrett ATX Bags a Couple

I have no idea how the SDC will fare head to head against the ATX. I really like my ATX but I am fairly optimistic about the SDC also. I have never had a Minelab PI model disappoint me yet. Seriously though, I kind of think for a lot of people it is more the price gap between the two that will matter more than anything. Kind of apples and oranges in that regard.

If a person has never found much gold detecting the SDC could be a lot of money out of pocket they are very unsure is worth spending, especially if the likelihood is they will never get out detecting for gold all that much. Then there are guys like me and you. I look at the SDC and if it is the patch vacuum I think it is it really is just a matter of how many days will it take me to round up a couple ounces to cover the cost.

I think the ATX is more an "all arounder" that appeals to many people, especially beach and relic hunters, at least as much as prospectors. The SDC looks to be more tightly focused on prospecting due to the hard-wired 8" mono coil so it has a much more limited market appeal in that regard, though I see some micro-jewelry applications for beach hunters like myself. If you cruise the forums you see more gold rings being posted by ATX owners than gold nuggets. I suspect it will be the other way around with the SDC.

By the way, the ground Chris took me to was in his opinion some of the hottest he has seen in California, and the ATX handled it with ease.

Steve - Looks like a couple nice pieces! Ask Chris about the hot ground that I took him to a couple years ago. Let's all get together and give it a try there and see how it does. I would buy one if it can handle that ground!