Finding gold with Minelab's new SDC 2300

In the last few weeks, I've had a chance to try out Minelab's new SDC 2300. I've had excellent luck with it so far and did up a blog post for Minelab's Treasure Talk blog. See: http://www.minelab.com/aus/treasure-talk/trying-out-minelab-s-new-sdc-2300
Minelab has a long history of introducing new, cutting edge PI technology, and the SDC 2300 definitely continues that tradition. Its very sensitive to small targets, waterproof to 10 ft., amazingly resistant to coil falsing on grass and rocks, rugged, compact and easy to use. Between the small gold sensitivity and the waterproof feature, this detector will be accomplishing things no pulse detector could do before. No question that a number of GPX owners will be wanting an SDC, and I am sure many of you will be interested in taking a closer look at this new detector, and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Chris,

I spend a lot of time in Manzanita and hiking to remote locations hauling my 5000. How much performance will I be giving up for the mobility and what appears to be simple operation. Will it sound off on a pennyweight at 18" ? Hauling the 5000 over hill and dale gets old. I know there is a lots of talk about its performance on small gold, I want to know about its utility for patch finding in remote steep country.

Thanks for your time,

Rick

In general, the SDC is going to out perform the 5000 on gold less than a gram in size - especially on gold less than half a gram, On gram to pennyweight it will be about the same,and on similar sized coils. On stuff larger than that, the 5000 will have the advantage.

Its a very portable detector, without the harness, battery pack, etc. of a 5000.

Chris,

I'm not sold on this machine until someone puts one in my hands for a month! If I like it, I will get on the train and cheerlead. A slow swing, with quality headphones is a must for GP/GPX crumb crunching. If I told you the amount of dinks we pull out that hit the scale at point 1 of a dwt which is like 2 1/2 grains with our GPs/GPXs you'd shake your head. I consider the GP/GPX Minelab series of detectors the best in the world for nuggets. Now the porous dinks are tough and I have a patch of them to run this machine on. Chris, you think anyone will send me one for a month...lol

LuckyLundy

Rick - If I wasn't taking it to Alaska with me, I'd loan it to you and that would be for just about a month, but Steve says its pouring up there and he's detecting in pouring rain. The SDC is the only water proof detector I've got, so its going to get wet.

Where I got these nuggets, I've gone over this area multiple times with a GP Extreme and then later with a GPX 5000. I got one nugget at a spot where I know I carefully checked with my GPX 5000 only a couple weeks before.

Rob - I'm sure you will do well with it.

You have fun up in Alaska with Steve. Your new Minelab will get a workout at his claim and the weather. This patch can wait for you, when the weather cools, come on over the hill for a couple days. Talk to you soon, safe trip!

Rick

Hi Chris,

I have one of those undetectable small nuggets that I did detect with my 5000, and a 8 inch mono Commander, but getting out of the ground, I could not detect it once again with the same machine. That is a head scratcher...

I will try to find it amongst my vials of little nuggets , and try again to see if it is truly undetectable with other gold machines, say the GB2 or the new Minelab SDC2300 you are testing...

I found it interesting when you mentioned SDC2300 would compare with the GPX5000 with a similar sized coil. My 8 inch Minelab Commander mono is pretty impressive on my 5000, with respect to the really tiny nuggets if you are paying attention, however a lighter machine would surely be a welcome item to have in the detector war chest.

Have fun with the new toy. Maybe I'll run into you two Reno miscreants somewhere again. I have not been out in the field now for almost 3 years. Maybe I need to follow the lead of Montana Bob Dansie... I sure hate to, but sometimes you have to face reality.

Gary "Largo"