Newbie 5000 question

Hey all,

Just got my hands on a 5000 and took it out for a spin today. I have one question. Are targets going to always have the high low sound? Or will some have a single sound (high or low)?

I was getting quite a few subtle single tone sounds. I figured they were just hot areas, but they had the same kind of sound a good target on my GMT would have.

The obvious answer would be to dig all of them, but I was also learning how to pinpoint with a larger coil and some of these sounds got lost when digging.

Thank you!

JD,

Read your manual several times them read it backwards twice! You have a great machine and I've seen that machine dig up some nice nuggets. Nuggets make a ton of different tones and it's a continuos learning curve. Dig all targets (within reason) and let the scoop sort the gold from the trash! There is a wealth of information on this forum for new people and you will have to spend sometime reading old post. See ya soon!

LuckyLundy

Here is a good video by nvchris that might help you understand more about what you are hearing. Lucky has nailed it on the head for you. You must fully understand how your machine works and understand what it is telling you.

http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/10415-classic-reverse-signal-on-a-74-ozt-gold-nugget/

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I agree with what everyone above has stated. That being said, over the years many have preached they only dig "certain, good sounding targets." When you become an expert, whatever that classification might be, then you might be able to get a better idea. However, some of my best and biggest nuggets and specimens have been non-typical signal responses, whether it's a double or triple hit, broken signals or weird wobbles. The minute you stop digging these targets cause someone said it's always trash is the moment you're potentially walking away from good nuggets.

Just my experience from nuggethunting the Southwestern US, Mexico and Alaska for the last 20 years.

You leave them, then you allow someone else to tell the story!! :huh:

Thanks guys!

I know I have a long learning curve ahead of me. Got out again today patch hunting and learned a lot about the machine. The question I posed above was answered in the field today before I got a chance to read these replies. It turns out it is just a little wobble and not targets. It just sounded like the sweet single tone sounds that I know with my GMT that it made me think for a while if it was indeed a target (they weren't).

No luck today in the gold fields, but tomorrow is another day. Dug tons of small trash. The old timers really liked to throw around bits of metal.

JD