In my last report I told you that Doc and I had dropped about 4 foot of overburden down on the bedrock so as to keep it from getting wet from the incoming storm. Well we got no rain or snow but some hellish wind.

Today Doc and I had to bit the bullet and clean the hole out. Now for most people this would be an easy process, but in our case its more like 2 monkeies with a football. :lol: Task was completed and we were able to open up more of the zone.

Pictures attached show pretty much what we did. This next weekend it looks like removal of the first 4 feet of overburden back to the southwest about 4-8 feet. Depends on how the back is doing.

Bob

Good going guys...looks like whatever work you did paid off.

Now for those big ones just about a foot further in...

regards,

Thanks Flak. As you know we have one hell of a project going. By the time you get back out here, there will room for all of us in the hole. :lol:

Bob B)

Hey Bob, and Flak, I have just been emailing a guy that I had up here on a short hunt last year, he lives in Palm springs, his name s Brent Skean, he's coming up on the first, and we are going to hit the patch up under the power lines on my patch that I had you at David. I just gave him a heads up on you guys, and maybe one day he could come out and vist with you guys and hunt the Dale. i told him what a friendly bunch you all were. So even though its a little far for me right now. keep a heads up if he contacts you. Grubstake

Hey Bob, and Flak, I have just been emailing a guy that I had up here on a short hunt last year, he lives in Palm springs, his name s Brent Skean, he's coming up on the first, and we are going to hit the patch up under the power lines on my patch that I had you at David. I just gave him a heads up on you guys, and maybe one day he could come out and vist with you guys and hunt the Dale. i told him what a friendly bunch you all were. So even though its a little far for me right now. keep a heads up if he contacts you. Grubstake

Grubstake,

Thanks for the heads up. It's not a problem at all, we always enjoy visits. At least I do, give a reason to rest for a minute or two. I do hope someday that I'll get the honor to meet you, either at your place or mine. Good luck on you patch the big one's coming any day now.

Bob

Bob, were going out to my oridginal patch, on private property, its still has lots of gold to be found. I want to try a place up under the power lines, where I haven't hunted before, but now I have the 14 inch AI coil, I want to give it a realworkout. I told Flak, he could come up here on the first also if he wants, he has friends up here, and has a place to stay. My hunts are limited right now to SAT. my wife keeps me busy with her church on Sundays and Friday is apointments. I had Brent up here before, so he knows this area a little, but I'm tring to hook him up with some of the guys closer to Palm Springs, this is a very long drive up here for a one dayer. But we will have fun. I hope I can get him over some gold, I like to see people when they find that first Detected nugget.Thanks for welcoming him up there, I'm sure he will try and get that way. He has a Softwhare company, that makets to schools for accounting. At least I think so. Its been a year, and my memory is not that great anymore. Grubstake

Bob, if you come up this summer, we will have to go to another spot, where I detect, is private property, and they are chuch going people, I can't detect out there on Sundays, but I have other places. My wife is in church every sunday, and does not drive, so that means I have to take her and pick her up. thats why SAt is my day. But if you come up this summer, we will make arangements for a Sunday hunt. Take Care And I will have Brent Skean get a hold of you through the forum, if he wants to head your way. Only about an hour drive from him. Grubstake

Grubstake,

I really don't care where we hunt. I just want to see the country up your way. I can make weekdays also. I can get a room somewhere close and we can hunt, BS or enjoy the country. Besides, you may have to show me how to use a VLF unit :lol: .

Bob B)

Hey Bob, you are so right about seeing the country; this county is one of the most facinating

places geologically I have ever seen (The Dale is right up there though).

Almost anywhere

Gary can take you will be an eye-opener. He knows alot about it's history and has dredged and metal detected all over the place.

I hope I am in the neighborhood when you guys meet

and see alittle of the area...that will be fun.

29 prospector looks like you have been busy since my last visit here. Hope all is well and that you are finding some nice stuff.

Grubstake hope you are doing well also. I haven't been in your area in a long while. Last time was to visit an old friend (Woody)south of Coarsegold. He'll be 91 on April4. Sure wish I could drive out to see him on his birthday.

FlakMagnet, I have never seen anyone who posts more than you. You must have a computer job of sorts! ;)

Best wishes all!

Rattlesnake Jim

Yeh Jim, I know Woody Woodworth well, he has sold me many a detector, and used to hunt at Bagby on a regular base's. I have seen the old guy in quite awhile, his son use to do the driving in that old gold colored van conversion of his. I have some pictures of the Elpaso Camel and 5.9 ozer he found at coarsegold in the dry creek bed. Grubstake

29 prospector looks like you have been busy since my last visit here. Hope all is well and that you are finding some nice stuff.

Grubstake hope you are doing well also. I haven't been in your area in a long while. Last time was to visit an old friend (Woody)south of Coarsegold. He'll be 91 on April4. Sure wish I could drive out to see him on his birthday.

FlakMagnet, I have never seen anyone who posts more than you. You must have a computer job of sorts! ;)

Best wishes all!

Rattlesnake Jim

Hey Jim, Is this the same Woody that the road in the Dale District is named after?

Doc. Smeton was asking me if I thought that the 2 might be the same. Did you meet Doc at all? Him and Dowie were very close up until Dowie passed away.

Bob

Hey 29prospector,

How come you guys are working outside the wash??  Wash already been worked?

Better gold, or what.

Bob T.

Bob, We started in the wash by feathering down from the bedrock that was visible on the north side. We startewd picking up gold at about 18 inches from 2 seams that were 4 feet apart. This area was apox. 40 feet northeast of our present location. As we continued the gold got better and than leaned out for about 15 feet. At this point we ran into a caliche wall about 3 feet thick. We broke thru that and the seams started diving at about 10 degees. So we have just stayed with it. We get gold everytime we pan. We work and fill 6 buckets each(I use 2 gal buckets and Doc uses 3 gal), run our material and rest by panning. We always have little points, small flakes and somtimes chunks and nuggets. So there you have it.

Bob

Hey Jim, Is this the same Woody that the road in the Dale District is named after?

Doc. Smeton was asking me if I thought that the 2 might be the same. Did you meet Doc at all? Him and Dowie were very close up until Dowie passed away.

Bob

Bob, I'm not sure about the road in the Dale District being named after Woody. Probably is!

I did make several trips there with him or to meet up with him there. Don't remember Doc for sure. Seems like there was a fellow there with ole Dowie one time, could have been Doc.

RSJ

Yeh Jim, I know Woody Woodworth well, he has sold me many a detector, and used to hunt at Bagby on a regular base's. I have seen the old guy in quite awhile, his son use to do the driving in that old gold colored van conversion of his. I have some pictures of the Elpaso Camel and 5.9 ozer he found at coarsegold in the dry creek bed. Grubstake

As Woody says "Neat"!

The first time I met Woody was in the El Paso's and he had just recently found the camel and was grinning from ear to ear. I called him one day also for some unknown reason and he had found that one in the creek that morning. Said he had sold a detector to a fellow and they were looking for Chinese coins in the creek. I think he said about the second beep he got it with a Tesoro Bandido I believe. Small world!

Best wishes!

RSJ

• 4 months later...

Funny how you stumble across these sites. My original intention was rattlesnakes. (Had 2 in the yard yesterday)

Anyways, I live in Coarsgold and have long been fascinated with prospecting. So much that I have pans, a small sluce (sp) and a metal detector that probably isn't that great. I have been searching to meet someone with the same interests that can hopefully point me in the right direction, instruction and maybe hang out for afternoons of prospecting.

I grew up with my father owning mining interests throughout Northern Nevada and Northern California. The bug had to have bitten me somewhere along the road.

Let me know if anyone is close and willing to show a newbie the ropes. (Or at least a few strings)

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Welcome aboard. You will find a lot of people who are willing to help and direct you in the right way. I'm clear down in So. Ca. so it would be a little hard for me to help in person, but I'm willing to try via the forum. I'm sure you will find someone closer to help you out.

Bob

Perhaps you could hook up with Grubstake who lives in Mariposa,if not I'm sure he'd offer you advice.I'm about two hours north of you in Angel's Camp,Calaveras county...Dave

Well, I look forward to many helpfull answers then because I know I'm gonna have a lot of questions....

Angel's Camp, definetly on my list. We are due a trip up that way or Sonora.

Guess I should start around Coarsegold creek. See folks panning there all the time but never see much detecting. Would thinks the banks should be nice. Anyone know of any particular "spots" to try?

Jonathan,

Welcome aboard. You will find a lot of people who are willing to help and direct you in the right way. I'm clear down in So. Ca. so it would be a little hard for me to help in person, but I'm willing to try via the forum. I'm sure you will find someone closer to help you out.

Bob

bob im another neew guy who needs direction, im also in the southern california area. Ive just traded in my dredge for a gp3000 and would love to detect the twenty nine palms area. any help would be good help...........thanks........Ron

Ron,

I'm not fimilar with the PI units but if you can hang in there till it cools down I'm sure we can find you some help. If it's just a place you want to try out then let me know. I have a few spots that haven't been hit yet.

Bob

Openmind. when it cools off, you can contact me Or Shep through the for PM system and maybe we can get together. Grubstake Ps Shep lives in Oakhurst alittle closer to you.

Yeah, I think it's a little warm as well. I definetly look forward to fall. I only have a Bounty Hunter detector, hope it at least works. I have the 10" coil and a 3" coil, was told it was good for getting in the nooks. It was part of a trade so at least it wasn't a waste of money if it's junk. I did detect a small gold ring in my backyard about 12" down, that was quite amazing I thought.