Good evening to everyone. We had quite a work day Saturday at the mine. Doc is away in Washington visiting his kids, grandkids and great grandkids. Jeff my very close friend and hard rock mining partner was able to break away from his work and wanted to go mining. We left at 4pm Friday and got up to the claims, set up camp and managed to run 6 buckets of material. After a good dinner of beef stew, Jeff and I BS'd til almost midnite. One thing about the desert, it will let you know when the sun is coming up. A pot of coffee and off to the "Hole". Now for those of you that have placered you probably know what snaking means and Doc keeps telling me that I'm always snaking. Well he is right but I did not realize how bad a snake I was until I got to working with my old hard rock partner(picture attached). Now Jeff and I have sunk a few shafts, dug a few drifts and have done alot of stope work, so you can imagine what happens when the 2 of us look at the face of the wall and see a 30-34 inch seam of gold bearing material.

Now for those of you who don't understand what snaking means allow me to explain. It starts when you have 4 or more feet of overburden above your pay material and you just can't face moving it. That's when you decide to remove the material by digging it out from under the overburden. FIRST OFF, DON'T SNAKE, but most of us have done it a time or two.

Jeff and I started the day by jackhammering the basement material to see if it was caring gold. A picture is attached showing the different depths we went, to no avail. Nothing, no iron, no gold, nothing. After doing that and not getting any gold we decided to go back to where we knew gold was to be. Well we proceeded to snake right under that overburden to a depth we felt was safe.

Now after jackhammering the floor we were hungry, so it must be breakfast time. I'll tell you, nothing can get you moving quicker then chili dogs for breakfast. Now with the fuel the body needs to work hard we ran a total of 36 buckets for the day. The gold take for the day, well lets just say "another mighty fine day in the hole".

If we were to figure it out we probably made a dollar an hour, but its not the money nor the gold that drives one to become a prospector, no, its the sound of silence at nite, the crackling of a fire and sharing with your best friend your dreams, ideas and hopes. Yes, that my good friends is "PRICELESS"

Bob

Hi Bob,

This is a great textbook of small drift mining...very fun to watch

the progression.

It looks like you and Jeff really got after it, good going.

I've got some extra Advil if you need it.

best,

Let me tell you Flak, getting up this morning was a real chore. I slept in til 11:30, hell I wasted half day.

Bob

so 29 prospector when do we fineally get to see some pics of the gold youve been finding?

Jared Judd,

Well many of have asked me that question. With the price of gold going every day posting pictures could bring a heep of trouble down on one. I will consult with my partners and see what they think. I can tell you this, there are at least 3 or 4 people on this forum who have been there and witnessed the quality and size of the gold.

Bob

29Prospector

I've been told that the Grand Canyon and I don't know this to be true but it got it's start the same way! One day all of us can say that we knew the two guys that dug that canyon! :D

Only a prospector can hand dig a hole that big and go home with a smile on this face. Then post a picture saying how much fun he's having.

Well guys I've got to go my wife wants me to dig a hole to plant something! :(

If she would hide some gold in the back yard it wouldn't be so bad. :P

Bob and Doc thank you for your post and if you need a mucker let me know.

Chuck

29Prospector

I've been told that the Grand Canyon and I don't know this to be true but it got it's start the same way! One day all of us can say that we knew the two guys that dug that canyon! :D

Only a prospector can hand dig a hole that big and go home with a smile on this face. Then post a picture saying how much fun he's having.

Well guys I've got to go my wife wants me to dig a hole to plant something! :(

If she would hide some gold in the back yard it wouldn't be so bad. :P

Bob and Doc thank you for your post and if you need a mucker let me know.

Chuck

Ridge Runner,

If you ever get out this way let me know. Your more then welcome to come play in the dirt. When I was younger(8 or 10 years old) I use to think that the old prospectors sure were a funny lot. they would dig little holes and narrow tunnels, never understood it. My father said that someday you will understand. Well people, that day has come. The hole looks larger then it really is. My side is 5 feet side to side, just the right space for my elbows.

Bob

Guest keninla
Jared Judd,

Well many of have asked me that question. With the price of gold going every day posting pictures could bring a heep of trouble down on one. I will consult with my partners and see what they think. I can tell you this, there are at least 3 or 4 people on this forum who have been there and witnessed the quality and size of the gold.

Bob

I have been there when they had a "bad" day. It looked like one of my best days.

ken

Yes,

I've been holding off on asking to see gold pictures since I thought you would post them when and if you were ready to do so. Since someone has brought it up... if you all agree, a little sample to view would be nice. Of course, you don't have to show us the good stuff, rather just a "smidgin" to get the juices flowing or the imagination "stirring". If you would rather not, I know I will understand and think your decision wise since I trust that you know best what you're doing. ;)

Rex

Yes,

I've been holding off on asking to see gold pictures since I thought you would post them when and if you were ready to do so. Since someone has brought it up... if you all agree, a little sample to view would be nice.  Of course, you don't have to show us the good stuff, rather just a "smidgin" to get the juices flowing or the imagination "stirring". If you would rather not, I know I will understand and think your decision wise since I trust that you know best what you're doing.  ;)

Rex

Rexb,

Ah yes one must ask is there gold in them thar hills? I have always wondered that myself. Many have played on the guitar that which is the avatar. ;)

Bob B)