Li-Ion System Pro's/Con's

• Admin

Hello All,

Received a few emails and a phone call about the recent pro's/con's of the Li-Ion Battery Systems now available for the Minelab SD/GP series. I can personally say I have used them all and they all work well.

I know Coiltek and Reed's are the hottest sellers at the moment. I never had anything bad to say about the 12v systems besides the major fact they get HOT! They might last a bit longer than the Coiltek system, but the metal can get to the point where it will melt plastic backpacks. You think I'm kidding, two personal friends have had 12v systems melt holes through the stock Minelab backpacks. When it's 100+ degrees out, I don't need to carry additional heat along with me. They are also a bit more bulky and heavier than the Coiltek. For the most part they are great systems.

For about a year I personally owned the newer Reed's 12v system with the amplifier built in. Great system, but I never used the amplifier much. Never had any problems with it besides it getting a bit warm from hours and hours of constant use. I must admit I never personally was able to get 14 hours out of the unit as advertised with larger searhcoils (17-elliptical).

When the Coiltek Li-Ion System came out, I made the switch and love it! With the new Coiltek System I don't even know it's there! It's so damn light I couldn't imagine going back to a lead acid battery. I can now carry several more pounds of water, food and gear. I'm getting 7 hours out of each 7800mah battery with the larger coils such as the Wallaby DD Pro. With smaller coils you might be able to push another hour out of them max. However, you get two batteries and that gives you roughly 13-15 hours of detecting depending on the searhcoil size and configuration.

Someone mentioned about a battery popping off the regulator. I would have to agree, I have had it happen a few times and it sucks! I had to take the backpack off and then pop the battery back on. I finally realized I'm a knucklehead, I didn't have the Coiltek System in the stock pouch that comes with the unit absolutely FREE. Once I placed the complete system in the pouch I never had another problem.

I see on other forums when a "Guest" posts it starts a huge uproar. I guess they are just asking for those types of posts when they don't make people register. I'm always open for discussion on a product I sell, or maybe something I don't sell. I have more class than to call a product a piece of #$*@, so most can read right through those people. There is no magic products or accessory, and even the best have some cons.

All I can say is the fact WE have sold over 700 of the Coiltek Li-Ion Systems within a very short time. I seriously doubt anyone will touch these types of sales. Coiltek has been and will always control a major part of the market due to their great products, outstanding warranties and knowledgeable people selling their products.

I know there are several sizes of searchcoils that Coiltek sells that have exceeded over 2,000. When you touch those types of numbers, someone is doing something right. Like they say, numbers don't lie. ;)

Summing this all up, all the systems above have some pros and cons, but work well. Ultimately it's up to the consumer to choose what will fit him/her best. All I can do is give you what I give everyone, great service, honest advice and competitive prices.

Good luck with all your choices and may you find more gold than I'm finding. :P

Take care,

Rob Allison

I love my pocket rocket system, I have 4 batteries now, and can detect for days without recharging. Also lite weight and dependable. mines on the side of my control box, with a short cord. I have one thing to say about it. DANDY! Grubstake

• Admin

Hello Rod,

Well with guys hooking the complete system to the side of the detectors we ran out of the "Coiltek Short Power Cords." I know my partner Glenn uses his system just like what you have displayed and also mounted the new Coiltek External Speaker to the top of the GP3000 handle. I forgot to get a picture, but he said it works great and is completely wireless. :o

I have a hard time keeping these systems in stock, so I'm not worried about what others have to say.

Thanks for the picture,

Rob Allison

Well I have a Pocket Rocket and have used it a lot. Have never had any problem with either battery, charger or reg..

However it is for sale: I will take $379.99 for it. That is if Rob has another one in stock.

Only thing lacking on mine is a short cord, would like to have one of those.

Bob T.

• Admin

Hello Bob,

I should have some short cords within the next week. Once people started mounting the units on the side of the detector the entire inventory of short power cords went quickly! I'm guessing I have sold nearly a 100 of these units so far, and just sold two more last night to a couple of new detector customers.

This unit don't have an gadgets such as signal enhancers build it, so it less things that can go wrong with it. It's a pretty simple design that keeps the price down and allows the users to have something with a decent price tag attached to it.

It's the best battery system I have ever used. :P

Take care,

Rob Allison