West Nile Disease

:( Another thing we need to worry about,

My seventeen yr. old neice, has been running a high fevor last couple of day's and now her tongue has turned black, doctors think its West Nile Disease from an infected Mosquito...

She, lives in Redding-Shasta Co. CA.

There has been another human case in Shasta Co. already this year...

Sorry to hear that Ed, I hope she gets well soon. :(

I have heard rumors from Goverment Employees that this may effect Waterfowl Season...There may be closures in some areas...There is mention of it on the

Cal DFG website front page, mentioning that it may be a possibility.

I hope they find a cure or a vaccine soon!

Take Gralic tablets!

Alan

bird Flu, West nile, terrorist, forest service people, park officials, and all the lunitics out growing pot and making meth. Just another thing to worrie about while detecting. I hope you neice is going to be ok. Grubstake

Thanks, Alan & Grustake,

I hope so too, they gave her a shot of some sort of antibiotic - if they give you to much, it will make you go deaf...scary....

Take care guys,

Ed

Big Ed,

I used to live(and prospect)in French Gulch about 20 years ago.I know its just another challenge to some...but I would like to know hows she being treated and with what.I mostly dredge and spending all that time in the water increases the chances of gettin bit with the Nile virus.I think that many of us already have it.......we just dont know it and others are more allergic(vulnerable) to it.I hope I'

m not being to intrusive...but I'd like to know what happens to her!

BIGFOOOT

I think from what I read anyway, if it does not go into the Meningits stage she will be home free, once it gets in the spine and brain, it causes brain swelling. Hopefully they got her the antibiotics intime. My wife is very allergic to kissing bugs, witch we have alot of up here, they can cause her to go int to antifalactic shock.Nasty little things.The Bugs up here this year are really bad, all the rain we had sure let them get a good start. We are praying for a fast recovery for your niece. Grubstake

Thanks-Big Foot & Grubstake,

Appriciate the prayers, She's been running fever 103 & 104, will not break, glans are swollen and they gave her percacett for pain, only other treatment is hardcore antibiotic... My sister, say's here fever is starting to drop now but she still not eating yet...

Big Foot, this is a new disease to this area, brought in on migratory birds and spread by mosquitos... Its sad to see French Gulch, after the fire...

Deet & Bullets, sounds like an old "Lynyrd Skynyrd" song.

Thanks again guy's,

Ed

Hey Guy's,

My nice is doing great, fevor broke and eating, and toung is back to normal color :D still waiting on tests to see what was wrong, doctors are still scratchin there heads...

Thanks everyone,

Ed

Glad she is recovering.

If she was on antibiotics it was to treat whatever kind of bacterial infection she might have had that wasn't diagnosed. It is not used to treat WNV or any virus--just doesn't work-- just for bacterial infections. There's nothing to stock-up on. Chances of getting it in a healthy person is a fairly low %. Use mosquito repellant / clothing etc. That black tongue makes me think she might have had diarrhea and was on Pepto bismol--the bismuth will do that--and it will make your stool black--which is a problem with diarrhea because it can look like digested blood. If it wasn't the bismuth, then she probably had a bacterial infection of the tongue- it can get black and hairly looking from the over-growth--yech! More horses seem to get WNV it than people around here.

A fellow did recently die from HANTA virus--in Elko,I think--went very fast. Something else to be concerned about- rodent dropping and urine-- not good when the dust is inhaled. Careful how you clean that up in old buildings --or when digging (less likely). Let's see, did we forget Valley Fever?.....sorry.

Also--

Hi Grubstake & Shep! Met you last August at the infamous Rye Patch.

-Gary

Hey Guy's,

My nice is doing great, fevor broke and eating, and toung is back to normal color :D still waiting on tests to see what was wrong, doctors are still scratchin there heads...

Thanks everyone,

Ed

• Admin

Hello Big Ed,

Glad to hear you Neice is doing well now. I purchased several canisters of 100% DEET Spray for protection along with wearing long sleeved shirts and a bug suit for Alaska. Some even purchased some type of clothes wash (Perm ...) that also helps repel insects. I noticed the guys that used the clothes wash didn't have any problems with Mosquitoes vs. guys that didn't use it. :(

Keep us updated if there are any changes with your Niece.

Wishing her a speedy recovery! :)

Rob Allison

bird Flu, West nile, terrorist, forest service people, park officials, and all the lunitics out growing pot and making meth. Just another thing to worrie about while detecting. I hope you neice is going to be ok. Grubstake

Grubstake,

Not to worry, we have the WORLD'S largest Marine Corp Base in 29 Palms :blink: . Terrorist's? No problem B) . BLM Ranger's, an't seen one in 18 years :blink: . To hot for birds, no water for pot, and most of the speed freaks stay in town. Now the Bad news, WE HAVE BEES, NOT JUST ANY KIND OF BEE, oh no, we got the killer bee's this year. None of my partners want to go mining :angry: . Shoot, I'm the one that gets stung all the time :( .

Bob

:D Thanks again Guy's,

I haven't heard anything, new about my niece other than she is fine now, she was not vomiting or Sh*ts, just High fevor & glans or Lift nodes inflamed that caused her to be in pain, thats why the gave her pain meds. My sister & brother inlaw, been fighting...

Thanks again,

Ed

:D Hi Bigfoot,

Thanks again, Will post Diagnosis, when I here... Its been soap opera with them lately

:blink:

Take care,

Ed

Ed,(just for a side story)

You said that a fire ripped up much of the French Gulch area....did it burn in the East Fork area as well?I believe the area in question is several miles East of French Gulch.You ever meet a prospector named Jim Burns in French Gulch?He's another character to listen to regarding local diggin history in that area.

French Gulch is another tight strong and together gold mining town in N.Cal(as you know).

One summer the local loggers kept SPEEDING right down main street in thier 18 wheelers....just like it was "thier" highway...the local parents got P*SSED OFF BAD because of thier kids being in close proxcimity(spell check?lol)to the roaring trucks....the locals KEPT ASKING "PLEASE,WE HAVE OUR KIDS HERE PLAYING IN OUR FRONT YARDS SO PLEASE JUST SLOW DOWN.This kind approach didnt work...the trucks just kept speeding through day after day...month after month.

So the Gulchers had enough and held a meeting one night.Next day...when the morning logger rush hour started....the truckers saw EVERYONE in town aiming their sites(rifles) directly at the truck drivers heads as they entered the town...so they cooly....slowly....(but not TOO SLOWLY!LOL) let up on the gas pedals....and from then on those truckers cruiz through French Gulch.......REAL SLOW.True Story.

BIGFOOT

post-774-1151338975_thumb.jpg

Hello Bigfoot.

I was on the "French Fire" in French Gulch as a Wildland Fire fighter.

The fire started just inside the Park bndry on the main rd. then burned north, west and East.

The Fire burned to Ridge rd (on the left) and was stopped there, eastfork survived. Seems the fire kind of burned around the town.

Rural houses were lost as well as a few trailers in the trailer park on the right.

The "Odd Fellows" building burned but the French Gulch Hotel survived as well as the bar accross the street.

Most of these pictures were of houses on the left near the Odd Fellows.

This is just a grim reminder of fire, I feel a sad sorrow for those people.

Someone did paint "Thankyou" on their dish for our help.

Alan

post-848-1151343570_thumb.jpg post-848-1151343583_thumb.jpg post-848-1151343594_thumb.jpg

post-848-1151343607_thumb.jpg post-848-1151343631_thumb.jpg post-848-1151343642_thumb.jpg

post-848-1151343654_thumb.jpg post-848-1151343667_thumb.jpg

Alan,

WOW!!!I had no ideal they got hit that badly......thanks for posting the pics.Its unreconizable...is that WhiskeyTown Lake the Heli is hovering over?DAMN!I knew a sweet old lady that lived in the mobile home park.......hope her & son got out ok.Did Bernices(Gold Rush Era Bar)survive?That building was pretty thick walled from what I remember.Looks like this modern one went like the original French Gulch town did....up in smoke!The original townsite could be found by making a sharp left at the church...which is (was?) at the West end or begining of the modern(2nd?)townsite.Then head up the canyon about 3 miles.24 years ago you could drive right by the original townsite and not even know there WAS a town there.......just a creek and a open field....me and my girlfriend lived another 4 miles upstream from there.

What a flashback!

BIGFOOT

Hey Bigfoot

I am not sure of Berncies.

Yes, that's Whiskeytown the Helo is drinking from, just off of 299 west of Oakbottom.

The old townsite must have burned because the fire went all the way to Tom Green mine and even over the ridge (county line) toward Lewiston.

My sister lives way up clear ck about a mile above the county park near the school. When I showed up for the fire, I was on the fireline just 1/2 mile from my sisters house. She did fine.

Alan

Alan,

All the way past the Tom Green?My old lady and I used to visit the caretakers at that ol haunt.I remember first heading up & over a high ridge the dropping down into a steep ravine passing a portal & tracks on the left...then there was the miners cabin and 2 other structures which all stood kind of rickety or stilt like clinging to the steep ravine walls.That was some ol place....part of a thriving town.If I remember rght the mine portal wasnt timbered with wood...maybe masonary in nature?Trying to remember the other names attached to Tom Green.We lived in house 7 miles upstream from the 2nd townsite that got ripped in half from a flood in the 80's and part of it was rebuilt.Had the creek right outside the front door....and 2 pole cats she didnt want me to kill.Her & I would wake up with those critters ON the breakfast table!Enough is enough I told her.....I dont wanna get bit by one of those things by jumpin out of bed in the morning to do buiz and startle those bugers!The town of Peanut was a crack up(to us at least)...one dirt road mainstreet , 12 houses all full with pot growers feuding back and forth....kinda like the stoner version of the Hatfields&McCoys!

I like that country.

BIGFOOT

:( Hi Alan & Bigfoot,

yes, its a sad site. it burnt somthing like total of seventy square miles, I was up on county line road with the quad today. sad site - looks like mars, black & red dirt :( Peanut?, its changin there too, I was in Denny, on the New River on Sunday...

Take care,

Ed

Big Ed,

How has Peanut changed?You ever find Platinum with your AU in that neck of the woods?My first intro to those parts is when I climbed the Trinity Alps...with the Sierra Club!SSSHHhh!Dont tell no one!We had one poor Ol gal that slowed down the entire trip...finaly she slipped and grabbed the trip leaders $3000.oo camera on the way down to smash it into the rocks.HE WAS A MAD IRISHMAN!Then 1/2 mile later she slipped again and pulled him down a 160 foot snowy slope INTO the ICY creek they went!NOW HE WAS STEAMING!Then we had to cross some frozen lakes and he wanted to send ME across first with one rope attached....cause it was thin lookin ice.She had 100lbs more than I !I asked why not her huh?I crossed those puppys with a 80lb. backpack with no probs.Why?To get to the top of those alps....and to get FAR away from her!Pew!I apollogize no gold in this story...but it does get better.

BIGFOOT

post-774-1151374190_thumb.jpg

hey Bigfoot,

Peanut, is hardly anyone around any more ;) Just cranksters :blink: Good platinum, in Hayfork creek, Trinity Center, and Coffee Creek, - heard of a guy finding an + oncer platinum nugget with GB2 in a tailing pile, last summer...

Always find bits, looks like mercury on the gold but will not burn off :rolleyes:

Well you take care Bigfoot, I'm going out in the woods for about four days, chasing that AU ;)

Ed