Any Word on 2nd @ Week Moore Creek?

• Admin

Hello Everyone,

Just curious if anyone has heard any reports from the 2nd week group that is now at Moore Creek? Their trip is half way over and haven't seen any news on the Alaska Forum.

Steve H., Dudley, Bob (AK), Reno Chris .... Any word?

Wishing them the best of luck,

Rob Allison

Hi Guys,

Am back, but heading back to Moore Creek tomorrow on a supply run. I came out Thursday.

Keith M (mugsy) found a fantastic specimen weighing just over an ounce on the day of arrival. A delicate dendritic piece, mostly gold. Gold started coming out of the highbankers immediately, of course.

Second day (first full day) Paul W hit a nearly solid gold 2.03 oz piece near camp. And same day Dave M hit a 2.75 oz mostly quartz chunk, also near camp. Keith had several smaller nuggets and Dan J had racked up a number of smaller pieces also. Some of the guys were just venturing off the end of the runway Thursday when I left.

I hope to get in tomorrow and be back tomorrow night, weather permitting. I'll post more after I get back about weeks one and two. We are off to a great start this year.

Steve Herschbach

http://www.moorecreek.com

• Admin

Hello Steve H.,

Thanks for the brief update on week 2 @ Moore Creek. Sounds like several of the guys are off to great starts. I'm glad to hear Keith got a nice one ounce piece. Keith worked really hard last year. Congrats to all the guys hitting nuggets up there so far. Hope everyone at least gets one nugget to take home.

Anxiously waiting more updates from Moore Creek. :D

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

Well, had a good trip to the mine yesterday. Looks like the weather got wetter and warmer... and the mosquitos are making up for lost time! First week was a piece of cake in that regard. One thing I'll say, Rob, is that you always manage to miss the bugs at their worst in Alaska.

Group had just over 12 ounces total but no more nuggets over an ounce. First week was 30 nuggets detected at 19.71 ounces total (plus over an ounce of highbank/dredge gold) and second week was up to 28 nuggets detected at 12.09 ounces total (and again over an ounce of highbank/dredge gold) so they are still hitting the numbers but the nuggets are not quite as big. Glenn really had a run on larger gold for sure.

Nugget weights do not tell the story as much as numbers. In 2005 week one got 48 nuggets, week 2 got 31 nuggets, and week 3 got 16 nuggets. In general, as each week goes by the number of hard-core detectorists declines, and so do the nugget numbers.

So this year we have week one at 30 nuggets, and week 2 (unfinished) at 28 nuggets. I predict numbers will tend to drop off going forward.

In each week it seems three or four people get the bulk of the gold, and the rest little by comparison. Oddly, however, some who are getting the least also tend to be the happiest! This is because what little they get is still usually more gold or bigger gold than they have ever found before. Us "been around" types tend to be a bit more jaded and so take for granted finds that many others still dream of.

Keith is staying the the mine another week and so will no doubt benefit as second weekers always seem to do well. Rich Lampright will be going in tomorrow along with the rest of week three. I'll be headed back up for the first week of July to watch camp when John and Bob come out on break. Dozer should be running by then and I'll get some trail work done hopefully.

Steve Herschbach

Just got off the Red Eye from Anchorage. I am happy to report that week 2 found 35 nuggets, over 15 ozt of gold. I myself found 12 nuggets with a total weight of just over 3 ozt. My largest nugget was found on the last day 50' outside of camp above the outhouse and weighed 1.16 ozt. I have some pictures that I will post later, now I must sleep...

Dan, you are amazing. You can pull nuggets out of ground that has been detected over and over and over again. I am well and truly impressed by your detecting abilities.

I'm not kidding. Dan is one of the best detectorists I have ever seen in this regard. He digs those faint whispers that most of us pass over as hot rocks, and as a result he digs hundreds of hot rocks at Moore Creek. The rocks there are very intense, with some that sound off very strongly as if they are nuggets. But for every one of those there are dozens more that have a faint signal. Bad news about that is after chasing enough faint rocks you just start passing them up. But every once in a rare while one is a very small or very deep nugget. And Dan goes out and gets them.

I'm sure that is what got that nugget above the outhouse out of ground many others are walking over on their way to someplace farther from camp.

Congratulations n the finds, Dan, and can't wait for the photos. You are a darn good photographer also!

Steve Herschbach

• Admin

Hello Steve and Dan,

Dan - Congrats on the amount of nuggets and weight you found! :D Would love to see some pictures when you get a chance.

Steve - I pretty much did the same thing Dan did, dug tons of faint whisper targets, but all my ended up being 2-3 foot holes and iron rubbish!!! :angry: After about 3-4 two plus foot holes I gave up on the faint whispers. Heck, right off of 13-ounce pile within a hour I dug six foot plus holes, all which ended up being trash (nails, wire and iron garbage). I guess I just dug the wrong faint targets ....

My smallest nugget (.09 ounces) was the deepest nugget I dug at around 8-10 inches. All the other nuggets were probably 3-4 inches at best.

I just seemed to be out of the zone with too much stuff on my mind. I was physically exhausted before I arrived and didn't get much sleep. However, I still tried, just couldn't get into a good zone. After going 3-4 days without finding a single nugget it started to wear on me a bit.

With all that said, I'm ready for another adventure up there! Regardless of what I find, the adventure is the true gold for me! ;)

Looking forward to some nugget/specimen pictures.

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

Well, you know it happens to all of us. In the three weeks at the mine I probably went detecting about 20-25 hours. I found one tiny quartzy piece I carried around in my pocket - I think I showed it to you guys on arrival - and then when I cleaned my pants in the wash tub I threw it out with the rinse water! The next one weighed a couple pennyweight and Lazlo won it on a coin toss against CJ. Bottom line is I just could not seem to get over any gold. When you are hot you are hot... and when you are not you are not! I brought home not a single nugget from Moore Creek to show from being up there. I have to say it just no longer seems to be that big a deal to me anyway to go find a nugget. The big thing for me is just being in the middle of Alaska. Being there is what it is all about. Looking for gold is just the excuse.

I generally am not digging whispers myself, unless that was all an area has to offer. I'm more into the wander far and wide type of detecting digging beeps that stop me in my tracks. Every once in awhile I'll pull a particularly deep nugget and pat myself on the back but most of mine are at depths that are not all that impressive. I just get over them first.

Steve Herschbach

Got to agree with Steve. I havew hunted with Dan J and he is one of the most persistent hunters that I have met and he is not afraid to try a different array of detectors to obtain the results. If there is something left to be found Dan will find it. Nice going Dan, now come on out and find some sapphires.

Allen in MT

Steve & Allen,

Thanks for the kind words. You realize Allen this is all your fault when offered and I grabed that last spot for our first trip to Ganes. Actually Steve you share some of the blame by starting everything with your initial trips to Ganes. This was my 4th trip, 2 to Ganes and 2 to Moore Creek. The end result has bee about 15 oz of Alaskan gold all safely tucked away in safe deposit box at the bank. Its been a real hoot so far! Thanks to both of you for the opportunity.