COILTEK ORDER LANDED

• Admin

Hello All,

I must appologize for the customers that had to wait for a good month for several Coiltek products that were on backorder. The increased gold price really created a mini "Gold Rush" all around the globe and most manufactures weren't ready for it. :(

I just received a call from Kevin H. from Minelab USA, Inc. He mentioned that all the Minelab GP3500's are taken and no more will be available until late July maybe early August! :( Whatever the dealers have in stock (most a couple machines) is what they have for now. He also mentioned I have one of very few Minelab SD2100v's available in the US. :o I might just hold this one.

The mini "Gold Rush" was great for business, but with a long of accessories and coils on backorder many gave up on the orders after the extended wait.

Just to let you know, I have a bunch of "New Coiltek Amplified External Speakers" back in stock, "Coiltek Heavy Duty Power Cords," "Mini Power Cords," "Detector Protector Hats," and pretty much all the searchcoils back in stock.

If you ever need something, I'm just a phone call away! ;)

Take care,

Rob Allison

:D HI Rob,

I love that Coiltec Platypus coil, on GP3500 - Manual Tune, 16 turns from one end to the other, 8 dead center and back off 31/2 turns to the left :rolleyes: Deep mode & DD, all the rest at normal settings...

This has been a real nugget getting combo, detecting in the water, smallest piece, 0.8 dwt at about 6" & deepest about 18" and that includes 3" to 4" bedrock ledge that that nug was under

My finger tips are a bloody mess, both hands, from fanning the gravel too reviel the nugs & I just bought some new wetsuit gloves with cevlar fingertips & palm on e-bay for thirty bucks :)

Take care,

Ed

Hi! ED, its hard to top that Platypus coil, it was a real sleeper for sure. Since its wet most of the hunting times up here in Mariposa, Its my coil of choise for most of my hunting. Just getting started with the Wallaby, I hope its as good, even though its not waterproof like the Platypus. Good hunting to you. Grubstake

Hello Grubstake

I use both the Platypus and DD Wallaby about the same.

The Wallaby is killer on tailing piles esp where there's junk. It goes deep, covers a large area, sensitive, and the the way the piles are stacked it's easy to maneuver and when switched to mono it becomes a nice sized mono....I am told by other shooters that the Wallaby is actually just as sensitive the platypus, I'm not sure yet but I know that it discriminates great and I trust it.

Put it through the grinder, you'll like it.

• Admin

Hello Alan,

Both the Coiltek Platypus and Wallaby DD Pro are great coils. I would give the outright coverage and depth abilities to the Wallaby DD Pro (due to size), but would give the sensitivity edge to the Platypus. Been having some good feedback about the Coiltek Platypus recently out of Oregon and N. California! :o

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hello Rob

This is funny.

I went out on a hunt with a few other guys. It was the first time I went out with them.

They all got out their detectors...8" mono, ect, and their jaws dropped when I fixed the Wallaby I got from you.

I think that they were thinking...holly crap if it's there he will find it.

I found 5 bullets by the time I reported back in about a half hour near where other people dug targets. I was finding targets within 1' of other dig holes. How could this be?

How come they didn't dig them? Were they using too large a coil not realizing they had more than one target under the coil?

The area was pounded to hell :(

But I did have fun and learn alot!

The Platypus and Wallaby covers about 98% of my detecting...a great combo.

Thanks Rob for the fast shipment! :D

Alan

• Admin

Hello Alan,

No telling why the others didn't find the targets. :mellow: My best guess would be that the Wallaby was punching down deeper than the smaller coils like the Minelab 8-inch round. Also, a lot of times people will dig a target and not re-check the hole or surrounding area, they will just walk away and start detecting somewhere else. However, I think you're just punching down deeper or covering more ground in less time with the larger coil.

Just think, those 5 bullets could have been gold! ;) You're right, the Platypus and Wallaby combined make a great combination.

Wishing you the best of luck out there.

P.S. Thanks for the comments about fast shipping.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Dear eodseal2000;

I don't have a lot of time with the Platypus coil yet, but the Wallaby DD Pro is the fave coil to use with my GP3K. It has great depth and sensitivity for it's size, plus the 17" footprint allows it to cover a lot of ground very quickly. I think it may very well be the #1 selling aftermarket coil for Minelab PIs in the world. I also think that it being a DD Pro helps to increase it's sensitivity quite a bit. It works well on my SD2100 too but there is a marked loss of sensitivity in comparison to using it on my GP3K. My SD2100 seems to like the Coiltek 11" and 14" round monos the best. Comparing the GP3K with Wallaby DD Pro to the SD2100 with the 11" round mono is very difficult, because they are both so close to each other in performance.

Your friend;

LAMAR

Hello Lamar

I'm sure you have read many, many times her of the praising of the platypus.

I don't want to whip a dead horse.

I use the Platypus in creeks, bedrock, narrow limited swing areas and where I figure the targets are smaller, lets say under 3 grams.

Like Rob has said before, not many people realize the platypus can be used out and away from water...it's an all terrain coil.

I like them both.

Just yesterday I had a faint signal under the Wallaby and switched to mono...the target sounded off about twice as loud!

These are both great coils and coiltek should be praised for such a great line of coils!

There is one thing I am suggesting...before you use the platypus,

seal the INSIDE COIL COVER! Big Ed gave me a heads up on this and I sealed mine with silicone as soon as I got it. I am reading from others having problems of rocks working themselves between the coil cover and coil and causing it to scream. If you seal the inside cover, you will have no problems. I'm not sure if anyone else has had problems, but after hearing from Big Ed and others, that's all I needed to hear.

I wish all of you happy hunting.

Alan

• Admin

Hello Alan,

Yes, it's best to seal around the outside edges to make sure dirt (especially black sand or black sand pebbles) don't get under the searchcoil cover. I just removed mine since I don't use it a whole lot, but don't recommend this for others. Using any searchcoil without a "searchcoil cover" can void the manufacture warranty.

Years ago I experienced this same problem with a small Minelab coil. I was working some bedrock and the coil became very unstable. I couldn't seem to figure out the problem since it was intermittent. Eventually I decided to remove the searchcoil cover and found a lot of sand under the coil. I clean it all out and re-taped the searchcoil cover and everything was fine from there. However, doing so I also found a very small, flat piece of metal and I believe that was the problem. Don't ask how it got under there, but I guess anything is possible.

Funny, how a little bit of sand or micro piece of metal can make the searchcoil go nuts! :wacko:

Take care,

Rob Allison

Dear group;

I can only think of one plausible explanation why sand, especially very fine black sand, gets in between coils and the coil covers of Minelab PI detectors. My theory is this. It seems that the Minelab PI detector emit a powerful magnetic pulse through the coil face into the surrounding terrain and thereby magnetizes all articles of mineral composition and thus gives them a temporary magnetic state. This temporary state then attracts magnetically conductive minerals, such as black sand, to the face of the coil, in much the same way that dust is attracted to a television screen. I sort of proved this theory by using my CTK 18" round mono coil without taping the cover first. After several weeks of use the coil became noticeably less sensitive and erratic. Upon removing ghe coil cover I found about half of a teaspoon of sands inside and on a whim, I put them in my vial and kept them. Later that same evening I checked the sands with my rare earth magnet and lo and behold, they were magnetic! I've since sealed all of my coil covers with clear silicon RTV and I haven't had the oppurtunity to experiment further, however, if anyone would like to conduct their own experiments, it is actually quite simple to do. Remove the coil from the coil shaft and place it on a wooden table, with the coils' bottom surface facing upwards. Take a piece of heavy white poster paper and place it over the upturned coil face, and liberally sprinkle iron filings on the poster paper. Turn on the detector and note if the iron filings arrange themselves in a magnetic field pattern. This experiment, if it works, could also be quite useful in determining a particular coils' *sweet spot*, that is, where the magnetic field is the most powerful and thus the most sensitive. OK, I am bored right now so this probably won't make a heckuva lot of sense tomorrow, but today it seems to be a solid theory, although as yet unproven.

Your friend;

LAMAR

:lol: Hi Guy's,

The reason I told Alan, to seal the inside edge of the CoilTec Platypus coil is cause when completly submurged in water a little bit of water between coil cover & coil, it will start to scream and be noisy :blink: LAMAR, ansewered my question, "gold sounding soft under water", on another post... So I tried a detc amp, it was to noisy also, and started using the manual Tune on GP 3500, which I understand changes the timing, and Deep mode, only changes sound "like an amp",I believe this is one of the advatages of a GP 3500,to be able to change the timing too SD level, and to change the timing Higher to pick-up the smaller bits ;)

Take care,

Ed