coils for newbes

:D Hi Airboy,

I'm a newbie, to detecting got GP3500 and CT Platypus DD Pro - and I'm very happy;-) I've thought about getting UFO, but Rob, stated if I though the ground was hot, not to wast my money ;-) And it is hot - magnatite & those hexigone iron pebbles, lots of blacksands... So, the DD Pro's - seem to get very close to mono coil depth, and seeing that your from S. Cal, I would go for the Wallaby DD Pro, from Rob :D

Take care,

Ed

Hi Airboy, I hunt almost exclusively with the coilteck wallaby dd pro. I think there is nothing better for overall use when propecting, there are other coils to fit specific needs such as patch hunting or in wet spots, but for general use the dd will hunt any ground, anywhere and give excellent results even on fairly small gold. It was my choice as well as almost everyone else in our group at Moore Creek.

• Admin

Hello All,

Glenn - Well after pulling out $8,000 worth of Moore Creek gold in a single week, I guess that's a good plug for the Coiltek Wallaby DD Pro! :D There's no doubt it's the premier DD Prospecting coil.

I would take the Coiltek Wallaby DD Pro over the Minelab 15-inch DD any day. Not knocking the Minelab coil, but it's less sensitive and is much heavier! :(

You can't go wrong with the Coiltek Joey Mono or DD Pro for small gold at shallow depths and hunting tight spots. The Coiltek Joey is a must in my opinion.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Airboy,

In my opinion, since you already have the stock 11-inch coil, I would get a smaller coil for bedrock type hunting, hunting small nuggets and also tight areas. Then I would purchase something a bit larger than the 11-inch round, such as the Coiltek 14-inch Mono, Wallaby 17-inch Mono or Wallaby 17-inch DD Pro. All three of these coils will do great as a prospecting coil. The Coiltek 14-inch and Wallaby Mono will find slightly smaller gold and get just a tad more depth, but the Wallaby DD Pro is great for prospecting a wide variety of spots due to it's high mineral immunity and the fact you can still use discrimination if you choose.

If you need something waterproof that is a bit larger than the stock coil, then you might consider the Coiltek Mini-UFO, which is a lightweight 17-inch elliptical Mono Searchcoil. I know, too many choices ... :P

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Rob

iwas considerring trading my 2.5" dredge! BAD IDEA?????????

I really wanted to hold out until I could get cash or the two coils I really was looking for (coiltech14" mono and 14" pro dd) but Im getting really ansee!!!!!!

what do you think? <_<

The dredge is in your classifieds w/pictures! :mellow: