Hydraulic Mines

Guest glen

Live near Sierra Nevada, does anyone know anything about good places that produce coarse gold in this area? Good places for nugget shooting. Have yet to find my first nugget with my metal detector.

I've done some metal detecting up by Iowa Hill, but no luck yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

There are some good places up around Iowa Hill, even if you haven't found any gold there yet.

Get a copy of Bullitin 193 "Gold Districts of California" from the California Geologic Survey. It costs $20.

It lists thousands of locations where gold has been found in CA.

Chris

Chris thanks for the info on the bullitin apprrecate it,Airboy iowa hill is located around forest hill not to far up the road from Auburn recreational area.I JUST NEED HELP ON WHERE TO GET STARTED , I KNOW A LOT OF YOU GUY'S HAVE FOUND NUGGETS IN HYDRAULIC MINES .TIPS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED THANKS.

• Admin

Hello Glen,

Sorry that more people haven't stepped in and helped out. :( Being a detector dealer I talk with a lot of potential customers all around the US. The ones that I talked with around Northern California seem to be searching out the remote, overlooked Hydraulic pits off the beaten path. I'm not real familar with California, but I'm sure there must be some books or bulletins that show old locations of hydraulic mines/pits.

What type of detector are you using right now?

Wishing you the best on your hunt.

Rob Allison

Glen,

Go slow and go where others have not. Most of the pits around Forest Hill & Iowa Hill have been hit hard for the past 10+ years by some of the best, just ask Frank or Dennis at Pioneer Mining. I am not saying all the gold is gone but I do know that it does not reproduce and it is getting harder and harder to get a nugget in the poke. Go slow because most people get board after a couple of hours hunting and having no luck other than nails and bullets so they loose thier concentration and start running around in a panic and will not work a little harder to get way up under that bush. If you follow me around, you will think a bear has gone through the bush, I break limbs out of my way. It takes time and I end up all bloody and cloths in tatters but most times I end up with a 1/2 penny weight nugget at the end of the day and feel blessed for that.

I hunt with a couple of the old pro's that have been at it for 20 years or more and they make me sick with their stories, finding so many nuggets that they would not go home at night, keep on hunting by moon light. Put all their finds in their pocket then in the morning take them out and see if it was gold or lead or what ever. Believe me, those days are gone unless you find some unmarked/unnamed pit somewhere and "GET LUCKY".

You have to just keep at it and sooner or later you will find your nugget. You never know when you take that extra step, crawl through that extra thick brush or just dig that extra loud target that everyone else ignors because it's so loud that it must be a shovel or a hubcap off a desoto or someother piece of junk and it turns out to be a 2 OZ. hunk, I have seen that and yes, I was the one that did not dig it. Lessons are learned everyday if you pay attention.

Good luck.

Glen:

Good gold hunting spots are not easy to find and are considered as precious to the folks who know them. You will find folks very willing to talk about techniques, tools and equipment, but mums the word on exact locations to find gold. Giving away those spots is like giving away free gold nuggets. It is a very good friend indeed that will share with you good producing spots, and posting them here on the forum would broadcast the spot to all kinds of folks who read what is written here. Thats why I recommended Bulleting 193. It is a door to thousands of locations, some little known, where gold has been found - you need to study and do your own research, hit the field and explore to find your own spots. Thats what the most successful prospectors do.

In hydraulic mines you need to stay with places where bedrock is exposed or at least very close to the surface.

Chris