• Admin

Hello Bob,

The Joey Mono is a bit more sensitive over the DD Pro and probably gets a tad more depth, but the DD Pro is more immune to mineralization and can discriminate. They are both really good coils, just a matter on where you're hunting the most.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Dear COLORADO BOB;

Since I have both the mono and DD Pro Joey coils, I will try to answer your question for you, if I may. The Joey mono seems to produce a bit *sharper* response, for lack of a better word, than it's DD Pro counterpart does. I've noticed perhaps a slight depth increase the of mono vs. the DD Pro and the small footprint allows both coils to be used in high mineralization. The mono will start to get noisy around boulders, trees, etc, wherever ferrous mineralization can gather and as such, it will produce the odd false signal. Also, the Joey mono is real good at locating magnetite too, so you may dig an occasional magnetite piece. As a rule of thumb, I try to use both the mono and the DD Pro Joeys in ground that is 6" in depth or shallower. Anything deeper than 6" and I slap the 11" mono, the 14" mono or the Wallaby DD Pro on the end of the stick and get busy! In conclusion I'd like to state that whether you decide on the mono or the DD Pro Joey coil mostly depends on you. The Joey mono has a tad sharper response whereas the Joey DD Pro is a bit quieter in high mineralization. Also, it may depend on the detector you are using as well. MY GP3000 really prefers the Joey DD Pro whereas my SD2100 seems to like the Joey mono better. If you happen to use an SD2100, then you can use the Joey mono with the CHANNEL switch in 2 and REALLY get some super sensitivity, however you also get some super background noise too, but you can generally determine whether you have an actual target in the ground or not by scraping away an inch or two of soil and then re-checking. I really enjoy both the Joey mono and DD Pro coils and I really don't have much of a preference of one over the other. Either one of them is absolutely DEADLY on small shallow gold. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd probably go with the Joey DD Pro, but it's a tough call my friend!

Your friend;

LAMAR

I know that if you are using the joey mono and get it over gold it will see it. I regularly find grain size nuggets down to a couple of inches deep and pulled a 10 gram nugget from an honest 12-14 Inches. That is no big deal for a Minelab I know. The point is that I didn't miss the bigger one at depth because I was using a small coil that is supposedly only good for small shallow gold. Everybody should have a joey mono it isn't just a specialized good for only one thing coil. I think it is a more universal coil than the 8" minelab mono. From the tests that I have done it is more sensitive to smaller gold and can see it further away. I can get it in tighter places.

You may have to ground balance more often than with a DD but with a 3500 it is only too simple to do that.

-Joe

Hey Joe,

Good dig on the 10 gram nugger. at 12-14".

Wonder what kind of signal you would have received with the DD, on the same nugget?

Was it a strong signal or was it somewhat soft at that depth.

So far the best depth that I have reached was 26," give or take an inch. That was not with a Joey but with a 14" CT mono. The dirt was super hard, no fun at all. :angry:

Bob T.

• Admin

Hello Guys,

JoefortheGold - Nice batch of nuggets you found there with the Joey! :D Thanks for posting the picture.

Colorado Bob - What's the deal with the 26-28 inch find? Gold or Trash? Must have been a 5+ ouncer at that depth. :blink: I see you want to come over to the Bradshaw's and clean out my dinks, but you're hiding your "secret big nugget patches" out West ... LOL :ph34r:

Take care,

Rob Allison

post-665-1157946520_thumb.jpgMy buddy Mike happened on to the patch and I was hunting the out side edge of his patch when I went over several 9mm bullets. I got a signal I thought was a hot rock until I kicked it out of the way and low and behold the deeper I dug the louder it got. The next time before I dig it all the way up I will go over it with some different coils and settings. I knew that after removing several inches of soil that it was gold and a better nugget. I can't answer the question of would a DD have detected it. I guess none of those who went over it before me heard it. None of my buddies went over it first I know that or it would be in their poke. They are all good miners/prospectors and it is all I can do to keep up. When we go out just about every coil mfgr is represented along with DD's and mono's of different sizes.

I will go out on a limb and say if you are running a Minelab and you go over gold, if you are listening you got yourself a nugget. Coil selection can be critical but not as much as confidence and perserverance and good old hard work.

Here is a pic of that 10 gram sweetie.

-Joe

• Admin

Hello All,

Colorado Bob - Holding out, I see how it is! :rolleyes: Hope it was a nugget and not a can. :P When it cools off we need to schedule a hunt or a camping trip out your way.

Kamakazi - There is a difference from the old DD's and the DD Pro's. The DD Pro's use approx. 20% more power. By increasing the electromagnetic field you increase the coils performance. The DD Pro's are more sensitive and get a bit more depth over the normal DD's.

RexB - The DD Pro might get more depth in highly mineralized ground, but I know the Joey Mono is more sensitive on smaller pieces of gold and will get a tiny bit more depth in moderate ground conditions. If I was hunting very hot ground all the time I would go with the Joey DD Pro.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hey Rob,

Talked with Ellie for a bit today. She seems to be doing well and looking forward to the push.

I suppose that you are going to be so busy that you won't be able to make it up for the hunt :o . Not to worry, I will work the Hackberry's for you.

You think that dirt up there is too hot for the Joey mono?? Bet it would be nip and tuck in the push area, especially if its is a bunch of that red stuff. As you well know theres a lot of that around. Plenty of the red dirt in the big wash on the east side.

Don't have to worry much about working it as most of it is on state land and under claim. However there is one place that is workable but will leave it up to the folks to find. Gives everyone food for thought.

We will give it a go this winter, I will put you in a spot or two that you haven't seen before [i think].

You will have to bring a quad for sure. Later

Bob T.

• Admin

Hello Colorado Bob,

If everything goes as planned I should be at the push that morning. I'm not sure I'm going to hunt though, it might be a mad-house. Maybe I will just take my new ground penitrating radar detector and knock all the PI's out of commission. :huh: I know it will shut down a Minelab GP3500 in a heartbeat. Just imagine the looks I will get .... :ph34r:

No, the dirt isn't too hot for the Joey Mono. I used to hunt up there a bunch with that coil working around the boulders and brush. Found some pretty nice nuggets doing so. Now if they push up a bunch of hot, red clay the Joey Mono might act differentely.

Just plan on using your VLF up there. :lol:

Have Quads & Detectors, willing to travel ...

Rob Allison

Flak,

Did not really mean that one heats up the ground, just a figure of speach.

You are putting a charge in the ground, using 115 volts.

Somewhere in my stuff I have the spec's.. and how to lay it all out...time...dimensions..ect..

Don't know if it will work on gold but would like to try it. Don't see why it wouldn't?

Flack, guess maybe it will. Just found it and it says that its an old nugget finding technique for worked out areas.

Bob T.

• Admin

Hello Bob,

Many years ago I read a story on one of the Australian forums where some guys were "Energizing" the ground and finding more targets at depth. I can't remember exactly how they were doing it, just remember reading the post about it. Sounded like an interesting idea and they seemed to be having some success doing so.

Maybe you should pull off the leads on your stock Minelab 6v battery and see what happens? :rolleyes:

Bob, heard about a 5-ounce piece just coming from the general "Nest" area. Haven't seen a picture of the nugget, just some general chit-chat about it.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Colorado Bob,

Yeah, that's what I ment too....it's an old technique used by alot of guys early on.

The people I knew were using generators, putting leads with spikes into the ground and

running the generator for awhile. This resulted in a 'charge' being put into the

area surrounding the leads - any metal in the ground was imbued with

a charge...it seemed to work quite well.

I think it's a very good idea...even more practical than the transporter now that Garimpo

is 'local' for awhile.

all the best,

Flak

Rob, the ML batt. may work but its too heavy to carry to the hills. :lol:

A five oz'er huh, now that is a respectable chunk. Maybe we will get lucky and kick one of those out on the dig. :unsure:

Flak, the transporter is costing to much so its on hold for now, anyway its finished. Just cost so much to operate. No telling how many oz's of gold I have in that thing now. :rolleyes:

The Enhancer:

It takes a generator to run the thing. Don't think that the current flows out and around the probs so much. It flows from one probe to the other, as there is a probe on each end of the area. And size does matter.

There is also another version that uses a transformer, which is the one I would like to try. The output is around 15,000 V, so the area would really get charged up.

Had a nice little Nisson generator and sold it, big mistake.

Bob T.