I see how they are!

I might as well get in on this one. Grubstake, I detected all through our monsoons in pouring rain at times, dipping my fibreglass coils in the water often. I have never hesitated to do this . They get a little unstable when the skid plate gets full of water but removing the skid plate and dumping out the water solves the problem. All coils respond this way to a skid plate full of water. No problems so far. I try not to submerge the connector as these coils nor the Minelab or the Coiltec standard coils were not meant to be totally submerged but they are not adversely affected by rain or dew or mist. I don't know why Chris deleted your post but he doesn't make a habit of deleting posts about Coiltec coils as you know , since you have made many posts on AZO in the past singing the praise of the platypus and none were deleted. I can only assume that there was something about the wording that didn't sit right. I have even stated on the AZO forum that the Coiltec Joey is one dynamite little coil and is the equal of any small coil no matter what the manufacturer and Chris never said one word about it.

We have all enjoyed the pictures of your finds and I hope you keep posting them on AZO. Try sending Chris an E-mail or PM and asking what the problem was.----Bob

BOB, I never said anything negietive in the post or even about NF coils, all I said, was its rainy season, time to break out the Platypus coils. Maybe worded a little different, but basicly that was all that was said. Puzzles me, and made me mad, I use Coiltek, don't own a NF coil, but my uncle does and likes his alot. I just use what works best for me and the areas I hunt. And to make it perfectly clear, ROB, did give me the platypus, but only after no one else would give it a good try. I found good big gold on the very first trip out with it, and I'm sold on this coil, coiltek just found the right combo, DD, waterproof, and ellipitical open coil design. I don't think anyone that has bought one, wasn't pleased with this coil. I'm not tring to start a coil war, as matter of fact, I think me and just about everyone else is a little tired of them. But the fact remains, the Platypus has a nich, and it does good here where its wet in Calif. half the year. Thanks for your comments, I respect you as a pro, and so does everyone else. Grubstake

• Admin

Hello Grubstake,

One thing I really like about Bob Dansie and Bill Southern is the fact they are very open-minded and not one sided. I'm pretty much the same way, always looking for the best coils and detector combination. Somtimes it means a bunch of coils and maybe a couple of detectors.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Randy,

Would also have to agree with you and Grubstake. Bill and I spent a lot of time shooting nuggets here in the Southwest. I still remember when we blew a tire on my new truck in the middle of nowhere and prayed we didn't blow the spare out. I believe we were a good 15-20 miles from the nearest main dirt road and probably about 50 miles from the nearest town.

Customers know who is sincerce and who is just trying to push products. They also know when you have a passion for such a hobby and your willingness to help others. This is why Bill will continue to have a successful detector business.

The most important thing is to enjoy this hobby of gold prospecting/electronic prospecting regardless of what detector, coil or accessories you're using. The thrill of this hobby is the "hunt, search and lure" of the gold. Just knowing you're tracking down something that is not real common and tough to find makes even a small piece of gold very rewarding! ;)

Best of luck to all,

Rob Allison