COILTEK ALL-TERRAIN WATERPROOF SEARCHCOILS

• Admin

Hello All,

I still frequently get a lot of calls and emails about the Coiltek All-Terrain Searchcoils. I will give you a quick run down on these coils and why they are still very hot sellers, especially the new Coiltek 11-inch Platypus DD Pro. :o

The three All-Terrain, "completely waterproof" searchcoils by Coiltek are the UFO 24x12 elliptical mono, MINI UFO 17x10 elliptical mono and the latest PLATYPUS 11-inch elliptical DD Pro. I won't talk about the new one yet, which will blow your mind! :huh:

All three of these coils are epoxy filled, meaning the windings are completely coated and filled so there is no movement of windings (which can create false signals when the coil gets old). The are also "web-designed" so they are much lighter than a solid design of the same shape/size. They are also plastic, which is now the only material that searchcoil manufactures are using (humm, that's interesting).

I guess Coiltek was right when they told me, don't worry Rob, everyone returns to plastic cause it last longer, just give it a year. :D I guess this is the reason why I put 110% faith in them, they have never been wrong. My Coiltek sales double each year, so I guess it was a very smart investment on my part.

Well back on the All-Terrain coils, if you're looking for an extremely strong, plastic web designed coils that are 100% waterproof, lightweight and extremely quiet, you might want to consider one of the three coils above.

Also, if you purchase the UFO or MINI UFO you will receive a FREE Heavy Duty Lower Shaft ($45 value).

Just to let you know how great of coils these are, Coiltek has sold over 5,000 of them! :o If I wanted to include the famous 15-inch WOT searchcoil that figure would hit 10,000!!!!

Like always, Coiltek built the first "aftermarket" epoxy filled coil, the first waterproof coil, the first phase coil, the first web design coil, the first DD Pro coil, the first coil for coin/relic detectors ... ok I will stop now. :P

If you have questions about any of these coils, feel free to email - auplacers@yahoo.com or call anytime.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Reno Chris,

Pretty much what Grubstake mentioned. The Mini UFO is much lighter due to web type design. It's also 100% waterproof, which Coiltek calls an "All-Terrain Searchcoil." The Wallaby Mono is just a solid 17-inch elliptical and a little bit heavier. Both are actually really good sellers, some prefer the solid design and don't care for the waterproof issue, while others love the lightness and want a waterproof coil.

P.S. Grubstake, I'm the only one with a Wallaby Mono Pro! :P Coiltek pondered on the idea, but decided just to make a normal Wallaby Mono.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Grubstake,

No biggie, there was some confusion when the Wallaby Mono first came out if they were a "Pro" design. Coiltek thought about the idea, but decided to just make the Wallaby DD Pro and the Wallaby Mono. I believe there might be a couple of other Mono Pro's out there, maybe 2 or 3 at the most.

The Coiltek Mono Pro does get more depth and sensitivity over the Wallaby Mono, but it's just a bit more noisier due to the increased sensitivity.

Take care,

Rob Allison

I've sometimes seen the Wallaby mono listed as 11x17 and the "ufo" mono as 10x17 is this accurate? or are they exactly the same dimensions?

RCB

You're right, I looked it up, Mini-ufo is Narrower than the Wallaby ;)

You're right, I looked it up, Mini-ufo is Narrower than the Wallaby ;)

Mini ufo mono, one of the few coils that is the same exact dimensions as its nugget finder mono "cousin", and the only elliptical that I know of. Wonder how they would do in a dual, probably about the same. :blink:

RCB

• Admin

Hello Rex,

The Mini UFO is about 1-inch narrower than the Wallaby series. Will the 1-inch extra width yield more depth? It might yield a tad more depth if you're paying close attention.

As for comparing coils that are the same shape, size and configuration it would be like splitting hairs.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob,

Thanks for the reply, yep, I imagine most of the time the performance would be so close to identical one couldn’t tell any difference. Since the coils are handmade maybe on occasion each coil would outperform the other, also to an unnoticeable degree. Just my thoughts on it.

Rex

Mine is a 2200sd, about 12 years old,used when I got it. I hunt side by side with Shep, he has a 3000. I seen no difference in deth or target responce, I do have to run an amp on mine, as no volume control, and he has the cacel mode which is good for aras with power lines. But over all I say in my opion, we are about even as far as everything else goe's. His threshold is slghtly more stable. But I still have found more gold with mine, and bigger ones. Patience and learning your detector is the key. Good hunting. Grubstake PS we both moded our detectors with the switch up on the handle for tracking or fixed. I hunt in fixed most times.

• Admin

Hello Rex,

The only coils that were handmade were the NF coils. Pretty much all manufactures that use Plastic have molds. Yes, there is some handwork to put them together and wire them, but they don't handwork the plastic.

The only way for a coil to have an advantage over another would be to add more windings. I'm sure all the coils are set up to specs and all have the same amount and length of wire. Adding more shielding to a coil could make it quieter, but also make it get less depth and sensitivity.

Since all the coils will be plastic now, the difference between one brand to the other if the shape, size and configuration are the same will be minimal at best. Coiltek continues to make new sizes and configurations to keep on top of searchcoil technology.

What coils are you using now?

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Rob,

I assumed they hand wound the coils, that is the part that would have any chance of making a difference as far as the signal response is concerned, but again, probably no real difference of any significance. If they don't hand wind the coils, I imagine they at least still check the inductance, resistance etc. by hand to make sure they are within a certain acceptable range? As you know the exterior material probably has no bearing on what the electronics are doing. I should have clarified what I was saying. I run both coil brands, thanks for asking, but I really need to get out more to give personal opinions on particular coils under different situations. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to be off to a spot in NV in mid Oct. I'll let you know if the skunk gets me.

Regards,

Rex B.