Coiltek 18" DD Pro went south...Help!

Yo All...Today I was hunting one of my favorite LSD washes and was getting some amazingly deep targets using my SD2100 with the Coiltek 18"DD Pro, one of my favorite and most productive coils...Suddenly, for no apparent reason or cause, the coil just started screaming and making godawful sounds...I thought it was my CT enhancer or my power cord, but it turned out it was indeed the coil...It's not crap in the coil cover, I checked that...I think the coil just gave up the ghost....My question is, is there anyone who can work on a CT dd Coil or am I just SOL :( ?

Thanks for any tips...Cheers, Unc

If it is out of warranty, you are SOL.

I can only guess that perhaps a winding in the coil broke, or for some reason some of the epoxy inside the coil finally gave up the ghost and allowed a winding to come loose.

Even if it is out of warranty, give me a call and we will see if we can get you a "Financial Hardship, Friend of the COILTEK FAMILY Special Kwanza Discount." I'll talk to John Kah, the head of COILTEK and see what we can do to help you out.

I mean after all, you are UNCLE RON. What kind of nephews would we be if we didn't try to help out an Uncle.

Happy New Year!

DOC

Wow, Doc...That is awesome...The CoilTek 18"DD Pro is an amazing coil and I've found hundreds of deep targets with it in very hot ground--Some of them gold!!! .. The very first target I ever found with it was a nice 1.5 gram beauty at more that 12" in the Rich Hill - Weaver Mtn. area ... Semi hot ground and loads of those gray hot rocks...I'd gone over it with my other coils but the 18" picked it right up....It is out of warranty since I've had it several years...

Any help you can offer is hugely appreciated, Doc...You Da Man!! I'll give you a call....Cheers, Unc

Wow, Doc...That is awesome...The CoilTek 18"DD Pro is an amazing coil and I've found hundreds of deep targets with it in very hot ground--Some of them gold!!! .. The very first target I ever found with it was a nice 1.5 gram beauty at more that 12" in the Rich Hill - Weaver Mtn. area ... Semi hot ground and loads of those gray hot rocks...I'd gone over it with my other coils but the 18" picked it right up....It is out of warranty since I've had it several years...

Any help you can offer is hugely appreciated, Doc...You Da Man!! I'll give you a call....Cheers, Unc

Ron

Sorry to hear about your 18" baby smoken. I'm still waiting on some deliveries of coils but haven't made up my mind which I want yet. Decisions, decision..... Nugget Finder or Coiltek... DD or mono, round or elliptical.

Hope to meet you soon. I will be up at 24k on Saturday and possibly Sunday also with the 2 pushes.

Iggy :D

Hi Iggy...I plan to be on the pushes Saturday AM...My coil arsenal includes: Coiltek 18"DD Pro; Coiltek 14" Round Mono; Nuggetfinder 14" Eliptical Mono; Nuggetfinder 5" x 9" Mono; Minelab 11" Round DD; Minelab 8" Round Mono.....

On my coil wishlist is the Coiltek 17" Mono Wallaby; Coiltek 10" Joey DD; together with the Coiltek Pocket Rocket battery setup;

And finally, a Minelab 4000 GPX!!!! Yup, I think ML finally has come out with a good "Back Up" to my ol' reliable SD2100 :lol::lol::lol:

Cheers, Unc

How can you beat a deal like that, Thanx Doc for your service to our Hobby..... :) ..Geo

"It ain't always about the money." My daddy was a self employed business man all of his life. He taught me two things about business. 1. Take care of your customers, and the profits will take care of themselves. 2. When dealing with every customer ask yourself, "How would I want to be treated if I were my customer?"

Then treat your customer even better.

My daddy was one smart cookie! When he passed away in 1990, he had over 3000 people at his funeral! The funeral home said it was one of the largest funerals they ever had. They asked me, "Who was you dad? Was he a politician, or famous or something? I said, "NO, my dad was just a very kind and wonderful man, I don't think he ever had an enemy, and as you can see, he had many friends and acquaintances."

During that time you have no idea how many people came up to me and said, "Do you have any idea what a wonderful father you had?" Then they would proceed to tell me about something he had done for them at some point in their life. I knew my dad was a great guy, but I never knew how many times he went out of his way to help people.

Maybe I should have known, because one of the other things he told me is, "Do one good deed for someone every day, and you will hve a happy life. It doesn't have to be a big thing, you can help an elderly person put their groceries in their car. Or stop and see if you can help someone with a flat tire. Or even hold the door open for someone. Tell a child how special they are, or tell a firend how nice they look." I swear I think my dad could have written the book, "How to win friends and influence people."

Oh well enough about that, I always get retrospective during the end of the year.

DOC

As Fred suggested, I checked out the connector...I can't be quite sure since I never looked inside a five-pin connector before, but something doesn't look right...Sure does look like a lot of bare wires...The connections themselves all look fine but there may be some shorting going on....I'll check it out further, but right now I have to go find my New Year's nugget, just so's my failure to find my Christmas nugget doesn't continue to smart so... :D ...Thank you again, Doc, for your kind and welcome offer...Let me make sure I can't fix it myself first....Happy New Year, Doc & all...Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

Hey Ron, if the connections look good, try opening up the coil, and make sure the coil is secure inside, if a wire or wires come loose, that could also cause the coil to malfuction.

Uncle Ron. The connector is almost always the problem when those symptoms appear, and it can happen with any brand. That part just takes a beating. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can often fix the problem. If not , take Doc up on his offer. It will only take a 1/2 ounce or so to replace it.----Bob

It will only take a 1/2 ounce or so to replace it.----Bob

Now that's pretty funny........ :lol:

Doc

Regarding your above post. I to had a Dad alot like yours. He passed 6 years ago and I really, really miss him. He was my rock.

I'm not sure if you indulge in the movie theater or rentals but there was a movie that came out a few years ago about fathers and sons called Big Fish. Well worth the watch..

Regards

Dave

Dave. I really didn't mean for it to be funny. You just have to start looking at it that way after a while . Tools don't last forever and I'm sure that coil paid for itself from what Ron says. My Minelab 8" round is getting real shakey at the connector , but if I wiggle it just right it starts working right again until I bump it on the brush. I'll replace it soon and won't bat an eye. I know I've found at least 5 ounces with it. It earned its way and so will its replacement.----Bob

I asked for that movie the Christmas after it came out. It truly is a wonderful movie. It's hard to watch it and get through it without shedding a couple of tears. As I look back on my dad I can see so much of him in that movie.

My dad was a great story teller. But every thing he said was the truth. He might have made the story brighter and more vivid. He might have left things up to my young imagination, he might have seemed to have made things bigger, or worse, or better, but his stories always had a purpose or a moral to them.

Having lived through the depression my dad was always big on stories about the value of a dollar, and how you should not take things for granted. He was very big on teaching work ethic. "A man gives you a job and offers to pay you a dollar an hour, you make damn sure you give him a dollar and a half worth of work for every hour you spend on the job. No good business man is going to keep you on the job if he can't make money off of you. That's just good business, and if you want to stay employed you got to make money for the man who is giving you monety to feed your family." A lot of his stories started, "Back in my day, hamburgers were only a nickel. Why I remember we would go to Chicago and we would each get a whole bag full of White Castle hamburgers for a dollar. Twenty of them and we would eat them all. They were the best hamburgers in the world."

Now when I was a little kid, and I heard that story, I thought my dad was full of crap. NO ONE can eat a whole bag of hamburgers. NO ONE can eat twenty hamburgers. Well my dad wasn't lying to me. As a little kid I didn't know what White Castle hamburgers were. When I got older I took a trip to Chicago and happened to drive by a White Castle hamburger stand. I said to my wife, we have to go back and get a White Castle hamurger my dad said they were the best hamburgers in the world. Now we are talking 35 years ago.

I walk into a White Castle figuring my dad was a big fat liar about eating twenty hamburgers, but hopefully he wasn't lying about them being good.

We walk in the front door and there on the grill are all of these little hamburgers. They couldn't be more than two bites each. I never knew White Castle hamburgers were little bitty things. My dad wasn't a liar and he wasn't full of crap, of course as a young man he could have eaten twenty hamburgers. He just never thought to tell me that the hamburgers were only 2.5 inches in diameter.

1990 is when my dad passed away, I miss him everyday!

take care!

DOC

Now that's pretty funny........ :lol:

Doc

Regarding your above post. I to had a Dad alot like yours. He passed 6 years ago and I really, really miss him. He was my rock.

I'm not sure if you indulge in the movie theater or rentals but there was a movie that came out a few years ago about fathers and sons called Big Fish. Well worth the watch..

Regards

Dave

Doc

You and I got some things in common :blink: . I grew up in the Chicago area, Wheaton to be exact, we moved to Phoenix in '67. Dad lost a leg on Peleliu and couldn't handle the snow anymore. I also had those special trips into Chicago. We would go in on the train to Marshall Fields at Christmas, State Street for Movies, Dinner at the Mark on top of the Prudential building, The Field Museum, and the Museum of Science and Industry. Remember the coal mine they had in the basement? How cool was that? Now Phoenix has turned to L.A. and I can't take it anymore. We used to picnic out at Rich Hill in the late 60's. We read about all the gold found there and tried our hand at panning in ignorant bliss..... :rolleyes:

The good 'ol days are now done <_< . I have decided to move to the hill country of Texas where land is still affordable and find my own 10 acres of heaven :rolleyes: .

I guess we got off topic here but definatly worth it. May everyone have a very safe, happy, and prosperous new year.

Regards

Dave