There is going to be a delay

Hi All,

I need to let people know the schedule to test the two detectors on March 10 has been postponed for a couple of weeks. The new date for testing is the next push at the 24K club, which is on the 24th. Now, before you groan and say I told you so, I need to tell you it is not because of Dave or Allan, but because of me. Yes, I am to blame and have asked for the extension. So, if you want to get mad at anyone you have to take aim at me. Dave and Allan have been struggling to get all done and meet the March 10 deadline that I had imposed on them. Had I known some of the things that have happened this week earlier, I would have recommended this delay a whole lot earlier.

As for the reason, or reasons for the delay, well there are a couple of key issues I will get to in a minute but I need to ask, did you ever have “one of those days†that last for over a week? I have and they “aint†fun. In fact, my “one of those days†is still going strong. This could get boring so those mainly concentrating on the detector tests can pass on the rest of the information in my post. However, I am looking for at least a little sympathy so, hopefully, a few will read on.

To be honest, the delay has little to do with the detectors, but because of personal issues I have encountered. Some I will have to deal with for at least a week or so, so I know I can’t get them done and feel confident before I my vacation begins. Also, the extra two weeks may help another issue.

Now, to give you and example of my typical day, I began writing this at about 5 am after being up all night with my hyper-active canine methane generating plant. I am not absolutely sure what is going on but the poor dog (Lucky is her name) acts like it has just guzzled about two pots of coffee and is now ricocheting off everything. The bad part is she keeps coming to me to do something. What???? If I lay down, she has to try to lay on my pillow with me. If I set up, she tries to get as close to me as she can. Now, she went through this about two weeks ago and at that time I took her to the Vet. Well $170 later, they informed me looks totally healthy and they are not sure what happened then. What I do know now is she will sit by me until she passes gas and takes off like a bullet so I don’t think it is her doing it. I am on my second pack of matches now. As most of you know, sulfur does a great job of killing odors. However, with the way my luck is going I have to take extra precautions to not burn the house down. BTW, I think I have an idea of what is causing Lucky’s problem. No, it is not drugs. The only “uppers†I have had in my house have been a set of teeth and they leave with the owners.

While up with Lucky I have gotten some good exercise since I have had to let her and my other dogs outside umpteen times. It has gotten so bad I am considering a revolving door. In the process of letting the dogs in on one of those occasions, I noticed a red area on the side of another dog named Brodie. This is what has me concerned and just as soon as the Vet opens in the morning I am going to try my best to get the dog in to be checked. As it turns out, this dog is a guest and not really mine. Yep, he has been on a sleepover now for about a year now, while the owner (and her boyfriend) fix her fence. For about the first six months of this visit, this poor dog would run and hide under my desk when the owner would come over and visit. He now feels he is safe and part of the family and simply ignores his owner when she comes over.

Now, I am sure I know what caused the spot and, to be honest, feel bad I didn’t take the dog to the vet sooner. The poor dog is the victim of an accident that happened several days ago and at the time, didn’t appear that bad. The mother of the owner of the dog was doing me a favor by heating soapy water in a large electric skillet and while in the process of emptying it, turned and about fell over the dog, spilling the hot water on the dog. At the time, the dog yelped, the woman screamed and neither would tell me exactly what happened so there was a delay before I got cold water on Brodie’s back and side. The area felt hot but not scalding and the woman assured me the water wasn’t that hot. So I just assumed all was ok since the dog didn’t display any major discomfort. I tried to check but the hair on the dogs back is so thick and matted that it was hard to tell much of anything. So, now there is an area that clearly needs attention and is going to get it. I don’t want to leave until I know all is ok.

Now on a little different note, if anyone thinks dogs aren’t smart, well I know better. Any time Brodie sees his owner’s mom pick up a pan, he is gone in a heartbeat and is at least 2 rooms away before he turns around. As far as he is concerned any woman who picks up a pan should be considered “packing†a lethal weapon. Now, tripping over Brodie isn’t that hard. He is more like a small brick wall since he is large overweight German Shepard who loves to be at your feet.

Finally, the last but key reason involved. For those who know me, I have been spending a lot of time down in AZ nugget hunting with my dad. I figured I would always tailor my trips so he could go as long as he could. Well, last year his back gave out enough that he felt he wouldn’t be going again and nothing much changed until he heard there may be a new detector that needed to be tested. Once he heard that, he indicated he would try at least one more trip.

Well, just the other day, he indicated he may not go. It seems his back just gave out again and he didn’t think it would heal enough before the trip. I checked with him last night and things haven’t gotten better, so I asked him if he thought a couple of weeks would help. He said it is possible but don’t wait on his account. Well, I have decided to wait. I really would like for him to make one more trip since I know how he likes to hunt. Chances are he won’t be able to make it, but I am going to wait anyway. I only have one father and I am patient enough and willing to give him the extra time.

I also realize that Dave is fighting a cold while trying to finish all the little things. Allan informed me the weather is miserably cold and snow where he is at and was worried about the Rich Hill area. I suspect the trip was also a worry for both since the weather has really been screwy the last few days. Since I know both Dave and Allan can use the extra time as can I, I am pushing the date back two weeks. So, people, I am the person you can blame. Now, I can’t change my vacation again, so come rain or shine I am planning on being there at the new designated time.

I apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause.

Reg

Hi Reg!

Sorry to hear about the dogs.

As to your dog's behavoir...something that check out is epilepsy. The reason I suggest that as the cluprit...I had an irish setter that had erratic and hype active behavoir during and after his seizures. My older brother has a spaniel that was also diagnosed with it and acted the same way.

Including the gas problems!

They are usually given Phenobarbital, but about every six months they will have a gran mal seizure. There are other meds that they can be given if they don't respond to the Phenobarbital med.

I hope that isn't the problem, but it is something to have your dog checked for!

Good luck .

Karl

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the information about epilepsy. I know you won't believe this, but my vet bills can verify it, I have another dog, Bear, that has epilepsy. You are absolutely correct, they are hyperactive before and after a seizure. The first time I saw Bear have a seizure, I panicked.

Bear is also disoriented for several minutes after a seizure. As for the medication you mentioned, Bear is up to 4 pills a day now. As for the seizures, they are not pretty to watch. Epilepsy in dogs is much more common that one might realize. I know I was surprised when the vet told me how common it is. Now, one thing I have found is I can sort of control the severity of them by talking to Bear and petting him once he starts one.

Remember, when I said I was having one of those days all week? Well, Bear had a seizure earlier in the week. He missed a pill (my fault) and I am hoping that was the reason. He had one about a month ago and then is when the 4th pill was added. Fortunately, his blood test indicated the medicine levels were low enough we could add another pill.

Bear is what I call my special dog. (All my dogs are special, but Bear is special for this reason and the fact he appears to be near sighted, but that is another story). He is so gentle and easy going. Like Brodie, he is a large dog, but looks more like a golden retriever mix. Now, Bear is a conniver when it comes to taking his pills. I have to put them in a piece of cheese or meat and hope he doesn't spit out the pill. He will gobble the "treat" and act so innocent, but the first time he thinks I am not looking, ptooy, out comes the pill. How he separates it so well from the food is something I don't understand. So, after giving him his pill, I have to follow him for a while just to make sure. My three dogs are what I call pound puppies and each has a special story.

Now, getting back to Lucky and her problems, I am pretty well convinced her problem is caused by overindulgence in Old Roy peanut butter flavored treats. When it comes to food, Lucky rules and she is half the size of Bear.

Now, Lucky is the only dog I know of that has ever been asked to "babysit". Yep, when Brodie was a pup, I was asked if Lucky could come over and watch Brodie. HUH??? As it turns out, Lucky would make Brodie go outside when necessary and wouldn't let him make a mess of any sort in the house. Now, that was a real treat to watch (little miss bossy scolding the puppy). Believe it or not, Brodie was house broken by Lucky. Once Lucky took over, Brodie didn't dare mess in the house. Today, Brodie still obeys Lucky and he is somewhere between 3 and 4 times her size.

BTW, Brodie has an appointment with the vet in a little over an hour from now.

Reg

Reg,

2 weeks one way or another is not long. Your father deserves the option. I stand proud with you on that decission. Dave and allen can probably use the extra time to rest a little and be of full sound mind on the day of the test. We wait with you.

O'29er in 29

Perhaps if you melt the cheese and pour it in a pan and then put the pills in the cheese and then pour some more melted cheese over the top and when it cools cut in little squares and walla doggie treats

hope you can get some ideas of how to trick fiddo in taking their pills

Bill

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the kind words. My decision to wait a couple of weeks just might have been the ticket to get him to go. As of a half hour ago, he indicated he is going to try once again, or at least, give it some serious thought. Obviously, if something happens again to his back, he could change his mind, but right now, I think it is a go.

He asked me just when I would leave and I mentioned I might leave as early as March 21. He chuckled and said "on my birthday, huh". Boy, did I feel like a penny waiting for change. After stumbling all over myself and apologizing and letting him know we can certainly leave later. He chuckled and indicated it might be a great idea to get out of town and turn the tables on anyone who may try to surprise him. Cantankerous old cuss isn't he.

Reg

Reg. For me that is great news. The 10th was impossible for me. I don't know if this is supposed to be a public demonstration, but hope that it is okay for me to attend . It will be much better for you , Al, and Dave if there aren't a pressures, and all issues are resolved.----Bob

Hi Bob,

It is my plan to ultimately make this demo as public as possible. In fact, I just got off the phone with Elly informing her the change in dates. During the conversation, she informed me that members of the GPAA have asked to attend. She is going to allow them to observe, but not to hunt the push.

I prefer for people to be able to see it and see what it will do and not do. They will seeing it at a later date anyway, so why not at the onset? Now, I plan on the initial introduction to be on the 24K but we will move down the hill towards Octave sometime that weekend so it can be tested down on the flats in the red clay and trash also. We haven't set any exact schedule up because, at this time, we don't know just how much time Dave and Al will have available. A lot depends upon what they get done in between and what other personal matters they have waiting.

Right now, I feel if there are warts, they should become more obvious. Also, Dave has promised me he would leave a unit with me provided I be totally honest with my evaluation. People who know me personally, know that is the only way I work.

I will be allowing others to try it. In fact, Jim French is planning on being down from Nevada and if I have one to try, he will get a chance to try it also. I can't promise everyone will get a chance, but some will.

One reason for pushing the time back 2 weeks is for the push, but just as important is the fact it makes it possible for Dave to send a unit should he be called to England on family matters. Finally, I am hoping the extra time will allow Dave to get units sent to OZ well before he heads for AZ.

Reg

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the idea on the doggy treats. I know I need to do something because Bear sure knows how to separate the pill from the food now. Fortunately, I just found that when I get stern with him he generally doesn't spit the pill out. However, when I am not there or others give the pill when I am there we do have a problem.

Reg

• Admin

Hello Reg,

The March 10th date wouldn't have worked for me, but the later date just might work. I would like to see the detector in action. Hopefully the Pulse Devil will work out well in the mineralized ground conditions. You are correct, Rich Hill isn't that bad, at least for the Pulse Induction Metal Detectors.

Looking forward to seeing you. Also, good to hear Jim French is coming down. Haven't seen Jim in a couple of years, or since the release of the GS5.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Reg, I think the delay is nothing compared to the people and responsibilities in your life.

I have a thought for the test that might give some insight. Grid out an area and go over it with several different beepers but dont dig til all have scanned the area. Flag each that each detector gets a true signal with different color flags then dig the target after all have swept the area. Have each person note the type of signal, weak,good questionable,etc though it will be subjective, it may impart some useful info.

Since I have not been there, this may or may not fit and it does not need to be a large area but it may give info on depth and signal strength. Even if this is not practical, this may give you some ideas that may work for your test.

FWTW, my dad had a great adventureous life in the 1920 in coastal SC and I came along much later in his life. I did not have the privlage to share any of that time with him. A few stories and that was about it. Enjoy today to the fullest, we all past too quickly thru this life. Wyndham

Guest sandtrap

My Lab acted the same way. Took him to a great Vet here- He was in pain- She sat on the floor with him, checked him out , and found a deep ear infection, that was the cause of his doing exactly what your pal is doing.. You might check that out. My buddy had no pain in the ear, but looking in it with a scope, showed the problem Hope this helps!! Ointment in the ear for a week cleared him up real fine..

Hi Sandtrap,

Thanks for the information. My dog, Lucky had gone though this before maybe two or three weeks prior to this incident. At that time, I took her to the Vet, went through all the tests, x-rays, check the heart, the ears, the glands, etc and nothing was found.

One thing that I noticed at that time, when I got back from the vet was the dog ran for the peanut butter treats and had one in her mouth more often than not. So, I put the treats up and the problem disappeared after a few hours. Well this second time, I hadn't noticed that I had help from a lady friend's grandchildren and they had opened another package of the same treats and had set them down. Once again, Lucky indulged herself. I put the treats up and by the end of the day, the problem was gone again.

I am fairly certain that was the problem and may run a controlled test to be sure.

Lucky has a very interesting history from the time she was found by a cop who noticed a tiny puppy abandoned. She was found late at night, sitting in the middle of a main street, just shivering away. It was a miracle she hadn't been run over. She was way too small to have been taken from her mother at that time and had to be bottle fed for a while. That is how she ended up with the name Lucky.

How I ended up with her is another story.

Again, thanks for the input.

Reg

Hi Wyndham,

One of the reasons I selected the particular area and time is the test should cover a wide range of key issues important to nugget hunters. The ideal test location provides all the problems a nugget hunter will experience and do so as a natural setting. Personally, I couldn't think of a better test site that didn't require traveling a lot of miles to test the different features.

Since the discrimination feature is a extremely important aspect of these detectors, there is no place better to try this feature out than in an area known to be both trashy and contain gold and the flats below the 24K club fits that bill to a tee.

There is basalt in the area, so we will be able to see how that affects the detectors also.

We will also see how the detectors interact with other detectors as well as compare features and abilities.

We will find out more about how close two or more detectors either the same or a different brand can hunt together without problems.

There are power lines in the area so we can test the noise immunity by hunting directly below them.

We have mild ground in areas on the 24K club and some of the much hotter stuff on the flats a mile or two below, so we will be able to see how the ground changes affect the detectors.

We do have granite boulders containing magnetite that affect VLF's but don't have as many larger solid pieces of magnetite as I would like, that I can remember. My PI ignores these types of rocks extremely well so there may be more than I realize, but I don't think so. So, this may be one weak aspect of the test.

Personally, I would like several pieces of lodestone to toss in for good measure to see how all the detectors deal with it.

So, any of you who are planning on attending, if you have some samples of such rocks, feel free to bring them. We might as well be as thorough as possible.

Finally, there is gold to be found in a range from large solid lumps to specimen types and about everything in between.

There is one very important issue that needs to be discussed and that is most detectors go through extensive secret testing to debug them before the public is exposed to the new machine, so the public doesn't get to see all the initial bugs or limitations.

That is not completely the case here. Although both have seen limited testing, neither has had extensive secret testing normally used to discover the possible bugs. So, this is a first from that aspect.

Is this a good idea? I think it is because it will allow discussions and expression of opinions at that time about issues or features. The reason I say this is because we are creatures of habit and as such, if something doesn't fit our perception or what we are accustomed to, we have a tendency to not received it as well. Having a wide variety of people around will provide a much broader opinion of certain features or sounds.

I just hope people are open and positive with their opinions. This doesn't mean that one shouldn't discuss what they don't like but do it in such a manner as to explain what it is and why.

When I think of how we all differ in opinions I always think of a particular incident that happened many years ago. I was having a conversation with a guy I worked with and he suddenly stopped in the middle of a conversation and just said "wow, what a beauty". Now the area was quite congested and there were a lot of women around.

Well, I looked around and personally didn't see anyone who stood out.

A couple of minutes later he did it again. This time I asked him who he was referring to. As it turns out, there was an extremely heavy weight woman a few feet away and he looked at her and said "aint she a beauty?". He just liked really heavy women and thought they were the true beauties.

The point is, we all have different perceptions of what we feel is ideal. So, I certainly do not expect everyone to like both detectors. Now, all opinions matter so I am sure Dave and Al will want to know why. At least, that is my opinion.

Reg

Hi Rob,

I wasn't ignoring you. I am just working nights and when I do, not much gets done until my days off.

I hope to run into you this trip down since I didn't see you last time. I am looking forward to chatting with you. I thought you would like to know Jim French is going to be there and that is why I mentioned it. I am looking forward to meeting him. We have had a lot of communications via email and a few phone calls, but have never met.

I am also looking forward to meeting both Dave and Al personally.

Now, on the down side, I just found out last night a couple of guys are going to quit and leave before the testing date, so we will be extremely short handed at work. Most likely, my trip will be cut short because of a schedule change. So, I may have to leave later and come back earlier than I had originally planned. Bummer!!!!

I won't know until later this week or the first of next week as to what my new schedule will look like. Then I need to see what can be done. One of the remaining guys owes me a couple of favors.

On a different note, I will try to remember the "invisible nuggets" to see how the new 4000 does on them. I understand Jim has one also he wants to check with all the detectors. He picked his up in Nevada I believe.

Reg

Reg: I can understand why you pushed back the dates--I would have done the same thing under the circumstances. I had a problem with getting my sheltie and maltese taking medicine.. The maltese (Benny) would spit the talblet out,. I started dipping them in oil and then I would hold his mouth open and drop the pill to the back of his throat and then close his mouth and rub his throat and seem to work each time. Does your dad take anything for his back, mine is very bad and I take a Muscle relaxant along with a vicodin and within 15 minutes the pain is gone--you get a little high but nothing excessive

Hi Hammer,

I have tried the shove the pill in the mouth trick on my dog but not with oil I will have to try that.

As for my dad, he doesn't take anything now for his back. He pretty well gave up on all medications when the steroid shots didn't help as much as he hoped they would. He has been to several doctors and they all say the same thing, there isn't much that can be done. So, he just tries to deal with it and take it easy.

Thanks,

Reg

If you can get the pill off to the side of the dogs tongue, then push it on in, the dog can't work the pill up using his tongue. I use that method, and it never stresses the dog, and he acts like nothing ever happened, and the pill stays down.

~LARGO~

Hi Reg maybe you can answer this question. On that Goldsweeper you know how the handle comes down in the back, Is that for balance or is this detector simular to a twin box type configuration in the way it operates? Thanks AzNuggetBob

Hi Bob,

I have not personally seen the Goldsweeper, so my answer is a guess, but I think I am correct. The part that hangs down on the back of the handle is simply to hold the batteries and postioned like it is for balance.

Sone of the pics shows the unit using several D cell nicads and I believe the handle is used as a mounting location for them. Now, somewhere I read where Allan had switched or was gong to switch to a different type of battery. If he does, I suspect the back end will look different. I think it will use Li Ion type, but again, that is a guess on my part.

Hopefully, Allan will answer this one if he reads this thread.

Reg

Hi Reg maybe you can answer this question. On that Goldsweeper you know how the handle comes down in the back, Is that for balance or is this detector simular to a twin box type configuration in the way it operates? Thanks AzNuggetBob

Hi Bob,

The idea with the battery pack in a tube was to balance the detector around the handle--there is no coil at that end.

I've been told that this design might be awkward to use in brush, so I'm putting the battery pack in a pod at the end of the rod. The detector is still balanced at the gripping point and the battery pack and the switching regulators (that generate noise) are kept as far as possible from the coils.

Allan